Live Help

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 06-04-2008, 01:54 PM   #1
die in the summertime

I am currently:
What is uni like in the uk?

I really want to study in england one day (I live in Belgium)... but I was wondering what is it like? (mostly theory or practical, amount of hours lessons, ....?)
A lot of people getting drunk all the time?(we get alot of the binge drinking news over here, but I want to know to what extent is it true)

I've seen a course I like in middelsex london, anyone going there?

All info on any uni in any place is welcome :) I'd like to do something like televesion production, events , music management, ...

Last edited by ***** : 06-04-2008 at 02:04 PM.

I read somewhere... how important it is in life
not necessarily to be strong...
but to feel strong.

***** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 02:02 PM   #2
Bleeding Angel
This is my story, and your not part of it...

I am currently:

couldnt you say the uk? because uni pretty much the same through the uk.

uni is basically what you want it to be, hrs will depends on your course but usually you are in about 16hrs a week, where i am people dont get drunki all the time either

"Its not how long a star shines, what is remembered is the brightness of the light"

Bleeding Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 02:11 PM   #3
IamJamesGreens
This Member is currently Banned

I am currently:

Make sure you read the HEA '04 first. Thats Higher Education Act 2004.

IamJamesGreens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 02:13 PM   #4
The One Who

I am currently:

It really all depends on where you are and what you are studying. Uni in Scotland is different since it's four years instead of three, but I *think* it is free to EU students.

I don't know much about those sorts of courses, but I'd say experience goes a long way with them.

The One Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 02:27 PM   #5
random.swirls
Head forum moderator

I am currently:

My uni was small and campus based.

So I knew if only by sight most of the people on my course by the end of the first term. I studied psychology and it had a mixture of lectures and tutorials - the lectures were once a week for 2 hours generally and I would have about 6 of them. The tutorials were module dependant so maybe 2/3 a week there was some practical work especially within the research and statistics module but the other subjects didnt lend themselves to it.

The binge drinking culture is prevalent but I found that after freshers week and the weeks following that money meant it simply wasnt practical to go out more then once or twice a week. Depending on who your friends and what sort of things they enjoy will also depend on the way you spend your evenings - if you are party animals you may well drink more then those who prefer a night at the pub and so on.

Halls are fantastic but they can be a nightmare and yep there are several threads here that cover uni in detail :)

When we lose twenty pounds... we may be losing the twenty best pounds we have! We may be losing the pounds that contain our genius, our humanity, our love and honesty. ~Woody Allen
Is a chocolate muffin loving glitter ball

random.swirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 02:29 PM   #6
die in the summertime

I am currently:

Well if anyone has had some nice experiences somewhere I'd be glad to hear about it.
There are so many courses to do and cities to study in ... so it's easier to ask you guys what the place you study at is like...

And why should is read HEA'04 first?

but to feel strong.

Old 06-04-2008, 02:54 PM   #7
Animad

Quote:
Originally Posted by ***** View Post
I don't know, I've never read that.

It's best to pick a course that you'll have the relevant qualifications to do that that you are really interested in. From that you can work out which uni's do it and see which ones you like the best. Some courses have more work that others but the average time you spend at uni is around 15hours per week and then you have work to do at home. Mine is different though and I can spend 40hr at uni in a week and have 3hours of work to do in the evening; it really depends what course you pick. In reference to the drinking; that's a lot of the basis of fresher's week and any of the party's you go to but if that's not what you're interested in then no-one forces you. When you make friends with people you can do what you like with them anyway regardless of what other people do.

Plus, it's probably good if you go in halls for first year as it can be really fun and a great way to meet people.

Kim

Animad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 02:54 PM   #8
RandomIdiot

I am currently:

I've heard middlesex uni isn't that good.

Queer Fringe is my cousin

RandomIdiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 03:12 PM   #9
die in the summertime

I am currently:

It's all a bit confusing to me as the UK eduction system is very different to ours. We have to go to school until 18 and then we can choose university (which is mostly theory: doctor, psychology, politics, art history,...) or high school (translated )(which is theory but also a lot of practise in stuff: event management, arts, tourism,...)
Do you have this difference in the UK?

but to feel strong.

Old 06-04-2008, 03:12 PM   #10
BeautyFiend

I am currently:

In the UK we have compulsory education until the age of 16. Then we have higher education - which would be at a 6th form, or at a higher education college. that's generally a further 2 years. Then after that you would go on to University... at the age of 18-19. =]

I study in London, but I can't say i know much about Middlesex Uni.
Talking about my university... if you're a first year single honours student you get about 10 hours of lectures a week, if that. Combined honours will be more.
Most people get pissed most nights - the social side is more important than the learning side where I am.
Studying and living in London is really expensive compared to studying elsewhere (except Brighton). You will get a loan though, which will be more than the average due to London waiting. You'll need to get a job, or you wont be able to survive.
The student life in London is really good, in general. Again, this is my experience... i don't know much about Middlesex.

BeautyFiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 03:12 PM   #11
joyous broken thing

I am currently:

i am doing fine art in leeds, which is a great student city (plus it's up north so is cheaper than studying in london). my halls have a good deal of international students and we have good international links, so that may be worth considering in a uni too.
i guess where you chose will be influenced by these things as well as the course itself.
as for binge drinking? yeah,it does happen, but i don't *think* its quite as bad as the media make out. and like others have said, it depends on who you hang out with, and your budget.
good luck with the applications ^_^
x

Everybody's someone else's freak,
Every cure is someone else's disease

~pm me anytime~

joyous broken thing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 03:17 PM   #12
The One Who

I am currently:

Quote:
It's all a bit confusing to me as the UK eduction system is very different to ours. We have to go to school until 18 and then we can choose university (which is mostly theory: doctor, psychology, politics, art history,...) or high school (translated )(which is theory but also a lot of practise in stuff: event management, arts, tourism,...)
Do you have this difference in the UK?
I think that would be sort of like universities and colleges. Colleges being more vocational. Although there are universities now which do these sort of courses, such as events management and things like that.

As an international student you'd need to stay in halls for the first year and there wouldn't be a loan available unless your country gives them.

Old 06-04-2008, 03:19 PM   #13
die in the summertime

I am currently:

Ok thanks for the info!
Which university in Leeds (there seem to be more than one)

But college is only 2 years then? Does that count as a bachelor degree?

but to feel strong.

Old 06-04-2008, 03:21 PM   #14
BeautyFiend

I am currently:

No, college gives you A levels.
University gives you a Bachelor Degree.

Old 06-04-2008, 03:30 PM   #15
alicewellingtonboot

I am currently:

if i were you id seriousy consider if you seriously want to go to the uk then, if you think you do, start looking on the internet at different universities and courses. We all apply through a site called www.ucas.ac.uk, im not sure for international students but its worth a look. Im at uni in birmingham and its good - if you want to go out eery night then you can but if you want to avoid the bingeing again its up to you. Thats one of the best things about uni anywhere, but particularly in the larger ones - we have over 30 000 students so there is so much variety.

Got to add though that i think it is so misguiding how everyone thinks all brits are raging alcoholics. Its a minority and those who do drink to the extent as you see on your news, probably arent at uni.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

"I hate to advocate Drink, Drugs and Alcohol but they always worked for me"

Hunter S Thompson
US Journalist

alicewellingtonboot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 03:41 PM   #16
die in the summertime

I am currently:

And what is a foundation degree ... does it get you anywhere?

but to feel strong.

Old 06-04-2008, 03:45 PM   #17
BeautyFiend

I am currently:

As far as i'm aware, a foundation degree is taken before you do your Bachelors degree... if you don't get the right A levels.
I think you can either do GCSE's - A Levels - Bachelors, or GCSE's - Foundation Degree - Bachelor's.

I might be wrong.

Old 06-04-2008, 04:00 PM   #18
*Scarlett*
R.I.P Mum

I am currently:

I did a foundation degree and its exactly what Nat said it is. Although its also for people who are older and have been out of education for a while and an american girl on my course now was told she had to do the foundation degree first before she could start her Bachelors degree.

*Scarlett* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 04:03 PM   #19
The One Who

I am currently:

College also gives qualifications such as HNDs and HNCs. These are more vocational and offer relevant work experience in the course. Travel and tourism, construction, etc, offer these sorts of things.

EDIT: Although, I wouldn't come across to the UK to go to college. If you really want to study in the UK, the UCAS suggestion is good. You can look up the courses you'd want and what universities do them. Then you can check them out and see whether you like them or not.

Old 06-04-2008, 04:05 PM   #20
IamJamesGreens
This Member is currently Banned

I am currently:

Quote:
Student fees are explained in detail there.

IamJamesGreens is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)