RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-04-2012, 02:50 AM   #1
abstract449
Here kitty kitty

I am currently:
Traumatized From Driving Class

Well about a year ago I attended a drivers ed class in the first step to take my license. And let's just say my teachers weren't the best. Instead of teaching all they did was tell us that we're all going to die and told us gruesome descriptive accounts of car accidents. I never had a problem with anything gory or graphic until that day. I had a panic attack in that class and nearly concidered dropping out of it in fear of more terrible stories or "educational" videos. I couldn't be driven around certain streets in my city without thinking of the stories about what happened there. Since then I can't stand the slightest gruesome thought without a panic attack starting to rise. The same exact thing happened to my sister after the class and she also couldn't get behind the wheel of a car without breaking down. Luckily I'm able to drive without any bad effect, but anything that involves thinking of something relatively gory or morbid with no distraction drives me crazy. This makes it especially hard during biology in school, and makes it impossible to watch horror movies (which I don't miss at all anyway).
Anyway, I really don't know what I'm looking for when it comes to replies. Maybe some tips to deal with this would do me well (: anyway, thanks for reading.

abstract449 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 01:15 PM   #2
WinterSparkles
Random person =]

I am currently:

Firstly, I'd say it would be best to get yourself out of that class, if you haven't already! I'm not surprised you felt uncomfortable when they're telling you things like that, urghh.

Could you explain your problems to your biology teacher? I remember some girls in my class having problems with discussing/watching videos of blood/needles, so they were allowed to miss watching the video but still got the notes on it afterwards.

It's probably important to remember as well that things like 'gory accidents' and whatever only happen in rare circumstances, they're not regular things. They hardly happen, and when they do, they're often nothing more than a bump against someone's car or something like that. The same goes for other incidents - they're not going to happen every day, it's much less likely than that.
xx

www.LoveWillMoveUs.tumblr.com

My advice/support blog :)

WinterSparkles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 05:05 PM   #3
beautiful_seclusion

I am currently:

I hate how they use scare tactics like that. They don't work for people who are going to be reckless anyway, and they scare people like you who would be safe.

I think it's important to remember like said that those are VERY rare circumstances. It's also helpful to realize that the vast majority of fatal accidents are due to not wearing a seat belt. A lot of accidents are also due to intoxication, as well as inattention. So if you don't drive intoxicated, distracted, wear a seat belt, and drive defensively (meaning you watch out for other people and don't expect them to drive correctly), your chances of a fatal or horrific accident go tremendously down. You could just as easily get hurt/killed some other way when you choose to be a safe driver, which it sounds like you are.

Perhaps though it would be useful to look up statistics so you can actually see numbers of how much using your seatbelt, etc. helps lower your chances? That was actually very helpful for me when explaining to people that I ride a motorcycle. I'll show you the statistics to see how you can be careful without being fearful and greatly reduce risk. While it obviously has a higher risk than a car, when I tell people that in 50% of motorcycle accidents the motorcyclist was impaired, 50% also involved an inexperienced motorcyclist (less than 6 months), and 95% of motorcycle accidents are caused by 6 things a motorcyclist can actively change in their riding habits, and I wear a full face helmet and other safety gear, even the most anti-motorcycle people tend to start being less fearful of me riding. And all those are things that are pretty simple for me to do. I just need to be sensible, not paranoid, and I'm pretty unlikely to end up in a fatal or extremely serious crash. The same applies to a car.

So hope that helped at all. I'm sorry you had such a bad course, but just know that you can avoid that happening for the most part. As for the gore, just realize that it was not representative of most car accidents and that it was meant to scare reckless people, not sensible people like you. The driving course I went through was taught by an ex cop. And he'd only seen 25 fatal accidents in his entire career, and only one of those was wearing a seat belt. So it's not like the gore is standard fare for accidents. So maybe seeing it as unrealistic would help, since you're a safe driver the chances are low enough to make it unrealistic. If thinking it through doesn't get rid of the fear though, you might consider talking to someone about it, whether a mentor or counselor, and see if they have any better ideas.

Stereotypes are the epitome of human laziness.
- me

beautiful_seclusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 01:59 AM   #4
abstract449
Here kitty kitty

I am currently:

Ah thanks guys (: thinking about how rare fatal accidents are really helps with the driving aspect. I think next time I feel uncormfortable in biology and such I'll try to see if I can take a break for a moment

abstract449 is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)