£90+ 2 3.39%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 12-07-2011, 02:41 PM   #1
[Purple_Rain]
Forum Mod

I am currently:
Image Heavy - How much would you be willing to pay for a drawing like this?

Ok, so I need some money comming in, but the idea of getting a proper job right now isn't appealing or that much of a good idea. So I was thinking about seeing if I could sell my artistic abilities. I generally focus on portraiture but I didn't feel comfortable posting portraits of other people without their permission on a public forum, so you'll have to use yoru imagination. I can draw like this:

The question is in the title. How much would you be willing to pay? (these drawings are an A4 size)

"I would be almighty in my own world of art, even if I had to paint my pictures with my wet tongue on the dusty floor of my cell." -Picasso
"No, painting is not done to decorate apartments. It is an instrument of war." - Picasso

'I have scars becuase I have a past; but they, like my past, do not define my future'

[Purple_Rain] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 02:46 PM   #2
akita

I am currently:

Yes Ama.

akita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 02:57 PM   #3
Bleeding Angel
This is my story, and your not part of it...

I am currently:

wow thats amazing. As for price i think it really depends, if its cheap enough you would get more customers, but it would also depend on the time and effort you put into it.

"Its not how long a star shines, what is remembered is the brightness of the light"

Bleeding Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 03:04 PM   #4
[Purple_Rain]
Forum Mod

I am currently:

It's been suggested to me that I make prints. WHich I oculd sell for £10 - £20. Hmm.

"I would be almighty in my own world of art, even if I had to paint my pictures with my wet tongue on the dusty floor of my cell." -Picasso
"No, painting is not done to decorate apartments. It is an instrument of war." - Picasso

'I have scars becuase I have a past; but they, like my past, do not define my future'

Old 12-07-2011, 03:05 PM   #5
Bleeding Angel
This is my story, and your not part of it...

I am currently:

You mean on canvas? They seem to be really in at the moment.

"Its not how long a star shines, what is remembered is the brightness of the light"

Bleeding Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 03:16 PM   #6
Feel_Good_inc.
I am a leaf on the wind; watch how I soar

I am currently:

I'd go up to ten pounds. Consdiering it's hand drawn and not printed. But the final price depends entirely whether its on paper or canvas or in a frame or not.
great work though. superp detail.

Don't be fooled by my smooth skin. The deepest scars are the ones unseen.
Remember compliments you received, forget the insults. If you succeed in doing this, tell me how..~ Baz Lurhman.
Letting it get to you - You know what that's called? Being alive. Best thing there is. Being alive right now that's all that counts. ~ Doctor Who "The Doctors Wife"
06.November.2011

Feel_Good_inc. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 03:36 PM   #7
Sans Peur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feel_Good_inc. View Post
I'd go up to ten pounds. Consdiering it's hand drawn and not printed. But the final price depends entirely whether its on paper or canvas or in a frame or not.
great work though. superp detail.
So something that is unique, one of a kind is worth less than something that is printed? Pencil drawings can fetch very good money. A lot of time and skill is put into pieces like these and selling them for under £10 would be stupid.

Liz, have a look around at any craft/art/ community events where people may be selling similar stuff, its good to have a look around and judge what prices they sell at. what sells in one town for x amount may sell for more or less in another town or event.Also see what they are drawing, perhaps even discuss with them what sells. Its good to get contacts, get your name out there.

Also a website is a great thing to have to advertise yourself, some cost very little a year to have and you can order free business cards from vista print or pay a small fee for your own design.

I hope this helps a little bit
x

Sans Peur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 03:44 PM   #8
Busby

Hi, I would pay between £30-£40 for work like that, and being left handed, would be willing to sacrifice my right hand to have that kind of artistic ability!!!! I think you have amazing potential to sell your work. I agree with Sans, check out what sells in what locations and find your market. You could even transfer your skills to quick carictures or something like that, either in a particular location, or on line.

Busby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 05:08 PM   #9
whirlpools

I love pencil sketches and I often prefer studies to finished paintings (not that that was particularly important!). I voted £40-£50, though looking back I think I'd be happier paying for that if it was mounted/framed. I liked Sans Peur's advice. Also see if there is an art club in your area because they sometimes do exhibitions of the members' work 2-3 times a year in which the public can buy images.

whirlpools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 05:24 PM   #10
Left Phalange
Phillip, look at me, I'm a stamp!

I am currently:

Holy crap Liz, that ballerina is amazing. Not to mention I thought that second picture was a real shirt, not a drawing xD I was like ...Why are you selling a shirt? But yeah, I'd expect to spend about £20-£30 on something like that, especially considering it's uniqueness and the talent you have.

I'm gonna tap him like a maple tree. I'm gonna search him for some syrups. I'm gonna be having sex with him.

Left Phalange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 05:40 PM   #11
Feel_Good_inc.
I am a leaf on the wind; watch how I soar

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sans Peur View Post
So something that is unique, one of a kind is worth less than something that is printed? Pencil drawings can fetch very good money. A lot of time and skill is put into pieces like these and selling them for under £10 would be stupid.
Actually I meant to imply I would pay less if it was printed. Hand drawn are obviously worth more.

Don't be fooled by my smooth skin. The deepest scars are the ones unseen.
Remember compliments you received, forget the insults. If you succeed in doing this, tell me how..~ Baz Lurhman.
Letting it get to you - You know what that's called? Being alive. Best thing there is. Being alive right now that's all that counts. ~ Doctor Who "The Doctors Wife"
06.November.2011

Feel_Good_inc. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 10:21 PM   #12
Isoverity

I am currently:

Its hard to get people to pay even a pittance for skilled art. A star tattoo on the other hand...

Isoverity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 10:48 PM   #13
Dreaming.
You are free.

I am currently:

Holy fricking hell, Liz. These are absolutely bloody amazing.

I echo what Jane said - it'd be worth checking out local art fairs/dealers and asking around.

I reckon also getting prints and in frames would probably get you more, too - at least, I reckon it'd be better to get less money per picture for prints than to sell an original for less than it deserves (if that makes sense?) (and you definitely shouldn't undervalue them - they're amazing)

Last edited by Dreaming. : 12-07-2011 at 11:05 PM.
Dreaming. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 10:52 PM   #14
[Purple_Rain]
Forum Mod

I am currently:

thanks guys :)

and Jo, yes, that makes perfect sense, and is probably what i'm going to do. Though I'm gonna have to work out how to market them properly. I can make the 'prints' at uni as due to my course I have accesss to shiney spangly printers.

Old 12-07-2011, 11:23 PM   #15
XxXflowerfairyXxX

I am currently:

Something like the ballerina one It think you could easily sell for upwards of £50 in the right setting and to be honest, I think it's worth a lot more. I know here, there are a lot of cafes/coffee shops/restuarants etc. that put up local artists work and have it available to buy... maybe that is something you could look into.

And bloody hell I also thought that was a real shirt!

XxXflowerfairyXxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 11:40 PM   #16
long road
Has less of a life than Pi.R^2

I am currently:

if you frame prints i reckon you could get up to £25 unframed £10-20. for a4 size a3 maybe £30 - 40, anyway they llok awesome good drawing skill :) marketing wise ebay might be a place to start you can only sell limited amount if your not a business but could give you a good idea on pricing as peoiple would actually be parting with money :) just if you do remember to say theyre will be extr charge for postage :)

all in all good luck x

QUACK!

long road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2011, 05:38 AM   #17
akita

I am currently:

Yeah I put 30-40 pounds.

akita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2011, 11:02 AM   #18
insidemyhead
time traveller

I am currently:

it could easily sell from £30- £50 maybe more depending on your buyers. The detail is intricate and just amazing its life like and beautiful so im sure you'd easily get a fair sum of money because of how much talent it shows. They're awesome by the way!!

“There is no sun without shadow, and it is essential to know the night.”

insidemyhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2011, 02:28 PM   #19
offlineforever
Left RYL

She's drawing me a picture for my friends 21st :) we'll have to let you all know how it goes!

Left.

offlineforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2011, 02:39 PM   #20
Zedebee
It's okay not to be okay

I am currently:

Wow, Liz, you've got some serious talent there... I'd say you'd do really well selling your work

The only time you will find real light is when you're searching in the dark..

Zedebee is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)