RYL Forums

Forum Jump

Old 24-04-2009, 08:55 PM   #1
xbertyx

I am currently:
Wound Care Question - sudocreme __ kind of urgent!

does sudocreme stop infection ? im so worryied

what about salt water?

help ?

i dont feel so good anymore
not the way i used to feel
when i was young

Old 25-04-2009, 07:52 AM   #2
Aidee

I am currently:

Nothing is going to stop an infection except for antibiotics. Sudocreme appears to be an acne medication, so it's not likely to do much of anything for a wound. If you believe you have an infection you should speak with your doctor and be evaluated for antibiotics.

Well it breaks my heart to see you this way,
The beauty in life, where's it gone?
And somebody told me you were doing okay,
Somehow I guess they were wrong.

Old 25-04-2009, 11:42 AM   #3
Animad

Sudocrem does help against infection but not as much as an antibacterial cream designed for wounds specifically. Sudocrem is designed more for nappy rashes so is great at that but isn't designed for wounds really. Prseuming you're from the UK (with sudocrem being a UK product) you'll want to use things like Savlon/ Germolene; antibacterial creams where the active ingredient (which it will say on the back) is Centrimide.

They however will NOT totally get rid of the risk of a wound becoming infected and once infected they are unlikely to aid it unless it is a very mild infection that you use these with almost straight away.

I would not advice salt water. It is harsh on your skin, dries out wounds and can cause other problems depending on the wound and the strength of the water you're using. You can use shop bought saline solution to clean a wound or a wound-wash however these again are preventative measures used when you cut, not once it is infected.

The only advice I can really give is go and get it checked out at an NHS Walk In Centre or an Out Of Hours GP (as it is the weekend or possibly a Minor Injuries Unit though a Walk-In Centre would be better). If it is infected it is very likely to need antibiotics so the earlier you get it looked at the more likely it is to heal nicely and the antibiotics to be effective quicker. If infections are left they can be a nightmare to treat.

Old 25-04-2009, 01:28 PM   #4
Ami
Perfectly Flawed

I am currently:

Heyy, i have used savlon antiseptic wound wash spray, for a mild piercing infection, and it worked for that so maybes you could try something like that, and its only about £3 too, but as Animad said, its best to get checked out for antibiotics

take care xx

I hope for nothing. I fear nothing. I am free.

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)