Live Help

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 14-05-2018, 03:17 AM   #1
The Author
AmberSmokesWeed

I am currently:
The Monster Inside (Triggering)

It's been a while since I've been on this website, and for that reason, I do not remember if I discussed my exceedingly worsening anger management issues. For years, I have had issues maintaining control over my anger and frustration with others and myself. For the most part, it was never anything too bad, I would just make foolish desisions while angry, whether it be hurting myself or other people. However, there was a time where I suppose I completely lost control. I do not remember anything that happened. I became aware of my surroundings at an asylum near me. I had no recollection of anything I'd done, but apparently I had attempted to kill a member of my own family. I later discovered that I had also at some point cut myself. Now, obviously, this is incredibly worrying to me. While it was over a year ago, and nothing even close to it has happened since, it is incredibly disturbing that I could have potentially killed someone without making the conscious decision, if I had not been stopped. I likely would not have even remembered doing it. While I mentioned this to the therapist at the asylum, I have never mentioned it to any therapist outside of the asylum, nor anyone for that matter. Because of this, I have many-a-time wondered what is wrong with me. At that point in my life, it was the peak of my emotional distress, a point where I felt as though there were no escape from my situation, and I had nothing to loose. I also had very little emotions in general. I remember feeling like an empty husk of person, who felt no joy or empathy, and rarely anger. Since then, my situation, and mental health, has gotten substantially better, with many of my emotions returning. However, I still occasionally see shadows of this old version of myself, moments where I feel myself beginning to loose control, or time seems to skip over small moments where I get angry. Is this something typical, where I simply need to get more control over my emotions, or is there a deeper underlying problem, some form of disassociation, or mental illness, that is causing this? I do not like talking about it, as I do feel it makes me sound a bit of a sociopath, and I am not proud of what I've done in the past, but I do not want to risk something happening in the future where I loose control, and do something, whether it be to myself or someone else, that I would regret. Is this something I should try to solve myself, or risk getting an expert involved on, and take the chance of being sent back to an asylum? Is it perhaps something that just happened in the heat of the moment, and, since it has not happened in over a year, I should not be worried?

Who I appear to be and who I actually am are two entirely different things.

The Author is offline   Reply With Quote
One Hug Given By:
Old 20-05-2018, 08:37 AM   #2
Pi.R^2
I always have a choice

I am currently:

Hey there, it sounds like such a scary experience you've had and I'm really pleased to hear that things are going better for you now.

Even if only for your own peace of mind rather than you actually being of any risk to your family, I think it is worth trying to get some help from a professional with piecing together what happened. At the time when you spoke to the therapist, what was their opinion on it? You mentioned there being times now when you feel yourself beginning to lose control- can you identify any particular triggers and any strategies that help you remain 'present' and in control?

We’ll find a way to fight it, we always have.
It's not how tragically we suffer but how miraculously we live.

Pi.R^2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 04:50 AM   #3
The Author
AmberSmokesWeed

I am currently:

The therapist at the asylum was quite worried, and requested that I be held for longer. They attempted to deal more with it, but we did not the time. They said that they thought it might be some form of disassociation. The triggers tend to be when people bring up my past or personal life, especially around others. I've had rumors spread about me by my sister, which I've made other posts about, that were completely false, and when those are brought up, that tends to also lead to moments like that. I have a small group of friends who are all aware of my anger issues and pull me away any time they see me getting to the angry point of disassociation.

Old 02-06-2018, 10:02 PM   #4
Pi.R^2
I always have a choice

I am currently:

I was thinking of dissociation, but didn't want to put words in your mouth! Have you tried grounding techniques that are recommended for dissociation? I'm glad you've got friends who are able to identify when you may be starting to dissociate and can help you.

I know from your other thread that talking about family issues doesn't work out too well with the therapists you currently have access to, but is this something you would feel comfortable raising with them?

We’ll find a way to fight it, we always have.
It's not how tragically we suffer but how miraculously we live.

Pi.R^2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 05:10 AM   #5
The Author
AmberSmokesWeed

I am currently:

Yeah, I'd say I'm comfortable talking about my family life with my friends, although I rarely do it. I've only really ever spoke about personal subjects commonly with one of my friends.

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)