RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply

Old 21-08-2017, 02:08 PM   #1
Fred!
Jesus loves me, however much I don't <3

I am currently:
Going back to work after more than 4 years...

I have been out of work since May 2013. I'm now wanting to work again but I'm struggling to find a job I can manage and that's going to be good for my MH (or at least not damaging! I lost my last job because of panic attacks... and only just really ready to work again after getting pretty unwell for a while).

I'm looking for a job less than 16 hours a week (it's the best way with the benefits I'm getting etc). There aren't many jobs like this and one that I like is 5 hours on Sat and Sun but would clash with me going to church so I'd rather not be doing that every weekend. Church has been the best thing for my MH.

I was wondering if anyone had any advice on like... finding a job (I'm in the UK) and keeping it! And stuff... I don't even know.

Death is one moment, and life is so many of them.

Don't look forward to the day you stop suffering, because when it comes you'll know you're dead.

~ Tennessee Williams

I find it kind of funny, I find it kind of sad,
The dreams in which I'm dying are the best I've ever had.

I'm actually a girl. My nickname was given by a friend and stuck ;)

Fred! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2017, 03:39 PM   #2
Sketchy

I am currently:

I don't have any useful advice, but I wanted to wish you the best of luck. I hope you find something suitable. Good luck!

Sketchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2017, 04:39 PM   #3
one_step_closer
The Shadow of the Day

I don't have much advice either, sorry. I'm sort of looking for work right now. Have you done any volunteering? Often that can be a way into paid work. Good luck.

I put it down on paper and then the ghost does not ache so much.

Don't try to calm the storm, calm yourself, the storm will pass.

You didn't come this far just to come this far.

one_step_closer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2017, 07:48 PM   #4
yoyogirl

I am currently:

Do you see a disability employment advisor for your mental health? Perhaps book an appointment with them to discuss things further and see if they can
Are you under the Cmht? Speak to them to see if you can be referred to a mental health employment advisor.

Have you ever confused a dream with life? Or stolen something when you have the cash? Have you ever been blue? Or thought your train moving while sitting still? Maybe I was just crazy. Maybe it was the 60's. Or maybe I was just a girl... interrupted.
I know what it's like to want to die. How it hurts to smile. How you try to fit in but you can't. How you hurt yourself on the outside to try to kill the thing on the inside. I tried groups, didn't work out just made my depression a lot worse.

yoyogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2017, 09:42 PM   #5
Fred!

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auror. View Post
Sometimes jobs will work around things like church and other obligations. If you'd like the job but just can't do part of one of the shifts, I would go ahead and apply anyways. You can explain in an interview and ask about accommodations, etc. for schedule.

Also, if you interviewed it would give you practice and if they couldn't handle the schedule accommodation, it would keep you on their radar for if this specific position didn't work out but they had something else that might.

I am not in the UK but one thing I will say is that showing interest counts for a lot when looking for jobs. I've been told before that when all things equaled out, I got chosen for jobs over other people because 1. I'd showed persistence in applying for the job multiple times even having been turned down before and 2. I said that I wanted the job and I wanted to be there.
That's really helpful thank you! I certainly agree that interview practice is really useful even if the job can't fit. I always think interview practice is good, then forget it. haha. Ooops! I had an interview recently for a library job in a prison, they liked me but I didn't have enough experience in a 'challenging environment'. I could certainly ask about making the Sundays later in the day, or even do more hours on Saturdays. I'll speak to someone on Wednesday.

I'm currently on ESA Support Group so don't need to actually work but I'd like to try. I've been stagnating for so long :(
I haven't seen the MH team for over 2 years because they're useless, except for a brief encounter with the general hospital team a few weeks ago when I overdosed (which was triggered by a lot of stressful stuff happening at once).
The DWP/JCP is quite triggering for me so I don't want to get involved there if at all possible. I am working with a group that help people with disabilities to get into work. They're lovely and helpful and have arranged a work placement recently.

I've been volunteering regularly for the last 2 years.

Thanks for the support guys :)

Don't look forward to the day you stop suffering, because when it comes you'll know you're dead.

~ Tennessee Williams

Old 24-08-2017, 09:19 AM   #6
Pi.R^2
Pathologically flamboyant

I am currently:

I can't add to the advice already given, but just wanted to wish you all the best in your job hunting! It sounds like you are well prepared to go back into work, so I'm sure things will work out really well for you :)

No other sadness in the world would do

Pi.R^2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2017, 09:39 AM   #7
Entropy

I am currently:

Good luck with the job hunting. You can look for jobs on the internet, but if you are looking for something in retail it might be easier to go in person and look for window adverts or on bigger companies' websites.
Do you know what type of work you are looking for?

"this is the room where you don't have to be brave"

Entropy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2017, 10:38 AM   #8
Fred!

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropy View Post
Good luck with the job hunting. You can look for jobs on the internet, but if you are looking for something in retail it might be easier to go in person and look for window adverts or on bigger companies' websites.
Do you know what type of work you are looking for?
Hey, thanks for your reply.
I'm checking the websites regularly but needing to keep hours below 16, and some other things.
I definitely don't want to do retail (tbh I can't).
I'm kind of ok with doing some certain types of care work, and a few other things but it's got to be a job that doesn't do damage to my MH (last job was as a support worker with LD adults so was very triggering and not helpful).

~ Tennessee Williams

Old 30-08-2017, 11:06 AM   #9
Entropy

I am currently:

I know it can be quite tricky to find work so I hope something comes up soon. The only other ideas I have are checking newspaper adverts or getting in contact with the job centre

"this is the room where you don't have to be brave"

Entropy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2017, 11:58 AM   #10
Fred!

I am currently:

~ Tennessee Williams

Old 31-08-2017, 09:04 AM   #11
shrimpy
Chat Mod

I am currently:

don;t know where you are located, but charities like MIND and Together for Mental Health often do "clinics" for those preparing to go back to work after time off with MH. These can be really useful and also give pointers on interviews, disclosure, negotiation etc. There is also the government funded "Access to WOrk" scheme, which you could refer yourself to and you would be allocated a MH employment support worker for 6 months to help you in job search and liaising with a new employer.

Shrimps

shrimpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2017, 09:11 AM   #12
Fred!

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrimpy View Post
don;t know where you are located, but charities like MIND and Together for Mental Health often do "clinics" for those preparing to go back to work after time off with MH. These can be really useful and also give pointers on interviews, disclosure, negotiation etc. There is also the government funded "Access to WOrk" scheme, which you could refer yourself to and you would be allocated a MH employment support worker for 6 months to help you in job search and liaising with a new employer.

Shrimps
Hey,
I'm actually currently getting help from a local college to get a job and they do lots of liaising and workshops and work experience type things which has been really helpful so far. I have up to a year working with them but started in January so not long left. I'll bear in mind the access to work thing for the future.
I only did the referral to the college because they can only work with people up to age 25 and I was about to turn 26 so thought I'd give it a try - nothing to lose 😂

~ Tennessee Williams

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)