RYL Forums

Forum Jump

Old 29-12-2010, 07:12 AM   #1
appleeater

Wound Care Question - Lower Leg SI

I hope this isn't labeled wrong or in violation of any rules. I'm sorry, I don't really post, but I am just considering whether or not to get stiches, and I really need some advice. I checked the first aid info already, and I think I'm kind of unsure about the rules about lower leg wounds. Why are they different, is it because of the joints? I'm a bit concerned because it's been bleeding for a little while now, and I'm not sure if I should go to the hospital. If the other qualifications aren't met, is it just being a lower leg wound an actual reason to need stitches?

Thank you for your advice, and I'm sorry if this question has been asked already.

Last edited by Animad : 29-12-2010 at 11:41 PM. Reason: Removed in depth info about the cut.This shouldn't be on the FAF but should be PMd to a member of the FA Team if neccessary
One Hug Given By:
Old 29-12-2010, 07:26 AM   #2
lozza
just trying to fly εϊз

I am currently:

if its still bleeding then you definately need to get it checked out

sometimes being strong means not holding back the tears but letting them fall
~˙·٠Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ ٠·˙~

my fur baby girls are my life <3
r.i.p my beautiful girl jackie. i will love you always no matter what - 6/5/10

Old 29-12-2010, 07:45 AM   #3
appleeater

Thanks for your responses. It actually ended up stopping, and I have it properly dressed now with butterfly strips and everything, so I'm feeling a lot less anxious now. I'll check it tomorrow, but it seems a lot less severe of a situation than before.

As a general question, what really makes lower leg cuts different? Are there specific things that I should watch for with caring for or evaluating cuts there?

Sorry to annoy, but it has been a while since I had such a scare, and I don't want to be in that situation again.

Old 29-12-2010, 11:34 PM   #4
Animad

If it is close to a joint then yes, it should get checked out if it is gaping at all. This is because the movement of the joint is likely to open it up.

The reason why it says on your lower leg is because the skin is quite tight there and everytime you move either your ankle or knee it affects the muscles in your calf quite a lot, changing the stresses on the cut and therefore causing it to open up again or not close and the same can be said for other areas. With the guidelines set out then really, if you meet 1 then it should be checked out; it's not a case of a check list that if you have a certain number or more then it should get checked, just 1 is enough.

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)