RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 01-01-2019, 03:03 PM   #1
yoyogirl

I am currently:
troggering words

Hi

I was just wondering whether we could put on subject line/title words that are topical triggering in a****

Have you ever confused a dream with life? Or stolen something when you have the cash? Have you ever been blue? Or thought your train moving while sitting still? Maybe I was just crazy. Maybe it was the 60's. Or maybe I was just a girl... interrupted.
I know what it's like to want to die. How it hurts to smile. How you try to fit in but you can't. How you hurt yourself on the outside to try to kill the thing on the inside. I tried groups, didn't work out just made my depression a lot worse.

yoyogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 03:25 PM   #2
not_so_insig
It's Bouquet! B-U-C-K-E-T!

I am currently:

Trouble is that although it's a great idea we could end up sanitizing everything. Different people have different triggers for example I am unaffected by bullying but am triggered by Prince Charles. Someone who is a royalist could like Prince Charles and therefore post about him but could be triggered by the mention of suicide.

The thing is this site isn't a trigger free zone. Part of the journey into recovery (yes some people hate that word!) is learning to deal with triggers and either seek help and/or not act on them.

Wannabe CPN : -)
"He who is tired of Weird Al is tired of life." - Homer Simpson
"I hear those voices that will not be drowned"
Sanity is a nasty disease. The world would be a happier place without it. - Rilic
RIP Kat 4th July 1987- 11th June 2013

not_so_insig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 06:59 PM   #3
Auror.
Camden

What you see and do on the internet is your responsibility. You're on a forum that's going to deal with triggering (you spelled triggering wrong in your title and I did have a good giggle for a minute) topics. If you aren't up to handling the topics mentioned, don't get on this site or don't go in those specific forums.

For example, if I'm not in a place to deal with eating disorder posts, or posts about abuse, I stay out of those specific forums. If I'm just feeling really off in general, I stay away from the site altogether.

That's on you to figure out and take responsibility for, and there's apps and website blockers you can download if you need help with it. The internet we see is chosen directly by us as individuals.

Please do not give me virtual hugs unless you are only using the hug function on threads. Thanks.

You can't always keep it separate.
This is happening, this is part of you.

Auror. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 07:20 PM   #4
Pi.R^2
Pathologically flamboyant

I am currently:

I’m not 100% sure what you mean? Like, the A&B board has a warning on it and the threads are labelled. I’m not sure what else you’re requesting?

No other sadness in the world would do

Pi.R^2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 07:27 PM   #5
Auror.
Camden

Jenna, what I'm understanding is that they want any words that are triggering to not be typed out completely and use asterisks instead in thread titles.

For example instead of saying "potato" it would be "p*****" so that nobody has to see the word because someone might find the word triggering.

OP, feel free to correct me if I misunderstood.

Please do not give me virtual hugs unless you are only using the hug function on threads. Thanks.

Old 01-01-2019, 08:36 PM   #6
not_so_insig
It's Bouquet! B-U-C-K-E-T!

I am currently:

That's what I understood it to be Camden.

Wannabe CPN : -)
"He who is tired of Weird Al is tired of life." - Homer Simpson
"I hear those voices that will not be drowned"
Sanity is a nasty disease. The world would be a happier place without it. - Rilic
RIP Kat 4th July 1987- 11th June 2013

not_so_insig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 08:44 PM   #7
zombiehunter
thinking

I am currently:

if people cant understand the trigger words cos they have been censored how will people be able to understand what the warning is?? is it getting to a stage were people need trigger warnings for trigger warnings??

zombiehunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 09:16 PM   #8
Pi.R^2
Pathologically flamboyant

I am currently:

Oh my bad, I thought ‘a****’ was a starred out version of abuse and the query was about including trigger warnings in titles of threads on that particular board! I guess that’s an example of how things get confusing when stuff is starred out!

No other sadness in the world would do

Pi.R^2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 09:24 PM   #9
yoyogirl

I am currently:

Yeah that’s what I meant

Have you ever confused a dream with life? Or stolen something when you have the cash? Have you ever been blue? Or thought your train moving while sitting still? Maybe I was just crazy. Maybe it was the 60's. Or maybe I was just a girl... interrupted.
I know what it's like to want to die. How it hurts to smile. How you try to fit in but you can't. How you hurt yourself on the outside to try to kill the thing on the inside. I tried groups, didn't work out just made my depression a lot worse.

Old 01-01-2019, 09:42 PM   #10
Auror.
Camden

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyogirl View Post
Yeah that’s what I meant
... which did you mean?

Old 01-01-2019, 10:00 PM   #11
Soft Kitty

Do you mean that you would personally like to use asterisk in place of a word you find triggering? If it's something you would like everyone to do, I don't think that's going to be possible, partly because we'll never know what's going to trigger other people. But if using a particular word is preventing you from making a thread, then maybe it would be okay for you to use asterisk in place of the word?

Soft Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 02:01 AM   #12
Bellatrix
Voldemort's Bitch

I am currently:

I never got this.

I know r*** means rape in the context of a post about it so I don't really know why not writing the letters helps anything. You still think the word when you're reading it...

Imperfection is underrated.

Bellatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2019, 11:26 PM   #13
yoyogirl

I am currently:

That’s what I meant soft kitty...im finally going to through psychotherapy after years and I have buried a lot of stuff and although I dealt with it practicality I want to be free from it as it still coming out in other ways unexpectedly.

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)