RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 22-12-2016, 09:49 AM   #1
[Luna]

Chronic/Acute pain support thread.

I've noticed there are a lot of people on this site suffering with varying degrees of pain. This can have a massive impact on ones mental health and can make dealing with mental illness even more distressing.

I thought it would be good to have a place where we could all support each other and a place to vent feelings/concerns to people that can relate and understand.

I hope this is OK.

Let us go then you and I, when the evening is spread out against the sky, like a patient etherized upon a table
- T.S. Elliot

[Luna] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2016, 11:10 AM   #2
chinahorse

I am currently:

What a great idea for a thread. I'm lillie and have fibro. New to the world of chronic pain but looking for support. :)

Given enough tea I could rule the world.

chinahorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2016, 11:49 AM   #3
[Luna]

Hey Lillie *squish* How is the pain today?

I've got a condition in my knee which started to materialise about 6 years ago which causes me a lot of pain. I also have problems with my neck and back which are currently under investigation but my back is likely to be a disc problem pressing on my sciatic nerve.

Let us go then you and I, when the evening is spread out against the sky, like a patient etherized upon a table
- T.S. Elliot

[Luna] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2016, 12:24 PM   #4
chinahorse

I am currently:

Today is ok bar my wrist which unfortunately is the one I have to use at work today.

Ouch that's not nice. My grandad has that and it's horrible.

How are you doing today? Managing to take your mind off of it?

Old 25-12-2016, 05:36 PM   #5
chinahorse

I am currently:

Im learning that your body doesnt care what day it is. It sucks to be in pain on christmas day!

Anyone have experience with exercise and fibro/pain. Ive started doing yogalates which doesn't seem to be making anything worse and tentatively is helping to energise me afterwards. I feel more at ease with my body.

Old 26-12-2016, 03:07 AM   #6
chinahorse

I am currently:

Anyone have tips for dealing with pain, sleep and in particular right now pelvic pain. Actual pelvis not lady issues.

Old 26-12-2016, 03:33 AM   #7
Bellatrix
Voldemort's Bitch

I am currently:

Good thread idea!!

Hi I'm jodie. I have fibromyalgia and under investigation for ehlos-danlos hyper mobility type. I've had chronic pain since I was a teenager but it's got worse over the years. I was also involved in a serious car accident in which I injured my knee and shoulder requiring surgery.

Lillie I find hot water bottles help. Plus a cup of relaxing herbal tea. Camomile or a sleep blend.

Imperfection is underrated.

Bellatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2016, 08:03 AM   #8
Buttons.
Never knowing...a helping hand or hell to pay?

I am currently:

Good idea for a thread.

I have fairly significant mobility issues associated with nerve damage and a few other bits and bats, my main issue is learning to use the wheelchair NHS have dished out to me. The majority of the time I manage (increasingly well I might add) with my walking aid, however on days of extreme pain/ice/weakness etc in order to be able to continue my day to day living I need to properly use the sodding wheelchair. I've managed to (mostly :P) master wheeling along, reversing, turning etc but I just cannot seem to master things like small curbs, the small step up onto a kneeling bus, I just can't seem to master it. Anyone any advice? Like I said I mostly use my walking aid but it would be good to know I can use the back up plan if necessary. *stops rambling and hopes is relevant to thread :P*

'Never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you.'

['There is only one thing we say to death. Not today'.']

'We are each our own devil, and we make this world our hell.’ – Oscar Wilde
‘It’s hard to dance with the devil on your back.’ Sydney Carter

Buttons. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2016, 01:17 PM   #9
Ballerina123
XXX

I am currently:

Great idea for a thread.

I'm Kate and have get chronic pain from an hereditary disorder, degeneration/arthritis and headaches (which have been diagnosed as migraine, but I told more investigation is needed since a resent hospital admission).

I started private treatment this year which includes physio and acupuncture currently, which I'm finding helpful.

I don't do well with pain medication. I'm highly sensitive to anti inflammatory medication so find heat and regular prescribed exercises helpful. I would use deep heat but it smells so bad lol

I also bought a new spinal pillow recently which has been helpful.

The average,
well-adjusted adult
gets up at 7.30am feeling just plain terrible.

Call me Kate.

I have dyslexia so please excuse my poor spelling and sometimes poor understanding.

Ballerina123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2016, 10:13 PM   #10
chinahorse

I am currently:

Hi all.

Katy have you tried looking online for wheelchair user support forums?

Kate what sort of pain did your spine pillow help with? I'm glad you are finding useful things.

Jodie are you any further forward with your investigation into ed?

I pretty much always hae a hot water bottle on the go. I don't like chamomile tea but love fruity ones. I kinda forgot about them so will try them too.

Tonight is a bad pain night. I think a fibro flare is coming. I have the whole body ache and the shakes so bad my boss was worried. It's hard not to let it affects t mood.

Old 27-12-2016, 07:27 AM   #11
Buttons.

I am currently:

I've watched some youtube videos but still struggling. Very good idea about looking for forums that hadn't occurred to me actually, will have a google.

'Never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you.'

Old 27-12-2016, 12:27 PM   #12
chinahorse

I am currently:

I hope you find one and its helpful :)

How is everyone today? I am having a brain foggy painful day but pushing through it.

Old 29-12-2016, 09:36 AM   #13
Ballerina123
XXX

I am currently:

Lilly - I just bought it off amazon. It was around £15 and its a firm pillow. I find the firmer the pillow the better my back pain.

I have physio and acupuncture again today. I'm actually quite excited as feel that there has been a great improvement in my pain since my last session on Christmas eve.
If fact in those 5 days I've only taken pain killers once.

To be honest though I've been struggling with my mood. Just glad my pain has been better since starting treatment because it this the two together would have made it a lot harder to manage.

I need to strengthen my shoulder blade muscles though because I know that will help with posture and pain because they are so weak. So I'll ask for some exercises today I think.

The average,
well-adjusted adult

Call me Kate.

I have dyslexia so please excuse my poor spelling and sometimes poor understanding.

Old 30-12-2016, 09:31 AM   #14
chinahorse

I am currently:

That's good kate. I think I need something to support my lower back. A lot of pain comes from there.

I hope your mood improves soon lovely.

I'm stugging a lot with my own mood and as some may know I'm waiting for a long term admission so the combination of those and severe pain isn't great at all.

How is everyone today?

Old 30-12-2016, 09:32 AM   #15
chinahorse

I am currently:

Also does anyone have experience of a pain clinic?

Old 30-12-2016, 09:58 AM   #16
Buttons.

I am currently:

Sorry you're struggling so much Lilly not got any great advice but hugs and love and all that fluff <3

Old 30-12-2016, 11:24 AM   #17
chinahorse

I am currently:

Thanks love. Did you find any online groups?

Old 30-12-2016, 11:47 PM   #18
Ballerina123
XXX

I am currently:

Lilly- My only advice could be to talk to your Dr and if you get the chance a physio. The Dr can investigate to make sure there is nothing too wrong and order test and a physio can advise on the best products for your issues. Hopefully you'll have access to a physio when you go to the pain management clinic.

I managed to buy a few things that can help with pain, like the pillow pretty cheap. But it alway worth speaking to a professional about the right product.

The average,
well-adjusted adult

Call me Kate.

Old 31-12-2016, 01:58 AM   #19
Kyaneos
Steph.

I am currently:

What a great idea for a thread :)

I'm Steph and I recently got diagnosed with Fibromyalgia. Trying to learn how to manage the pain at the moment, pain killers don't help and I am limited with what daily meds I can try due to mental health meds interactions. I am having my pregabalin increased in January and going to an understanding pain seminar run by the pain clinic before I can then go on to attend the managing pain seminar. So everything feels very slow at the moment in terms of getting any help. I brought lots of OTC stuff like gels and sprays and creams etc which I need to start to try. I have a friend with fibro and she has given me lots of support since I was diagnosed.

Feeling pretty overwhelmed by it all to be honest :\ nice to hav some support here though.

I am considering getting a stick because I am struggling to walk on bad days.

Kyaneos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 02:08 PM   #20
angel of despair

I am currently:

Has anyone had any issues with not being taken seriously?

I have a diagnosis of migraines. I get them anywhere between 2 times a week and daily.

I also have issues with numbness and pins and needles and muscle cramps in my arms and legs and feet and hands. They origionally said it was a vit D defficiancy but iv been on calcium and vit D tablets for 3 months now.

But when ever i go to the GP and say im concerbed about the amount of headaches I get or the numbness and cramps I get. I get told thats normal for migraines and vit D defficianys and told I take to many pain medications so its my fault i get so many headaches. It makes you feel very lonely when you get no real answers.

angel of despair is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)