RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply

Old 28-11-2014, 07:51 PM   #1
Harley's Dad

Vinyl revival

I've been interested to note that recently the musical world has been reverting to an appreciation of vinyl recordings, as opposed to CDs or other options. A month or so ago I was having my own 20 year old turntable re-set up and saw the dealer had more of the same sort of stuff than the modern digital alternatives. To my surprise he told me that there is now a distinct trend back towards vinyl and earlier today Jeremy Vine discussed this on his lunchtime program.

As the owner of several hundred vinyl LPs collected over the years I'm delighted to learn that my own appreciation of vinyl does not make me a complete dinosaur. Of course the bottom line is that providing you enjoy what you're listening to it doesn't matter a damn just how it's produced. But a few years ago a couple of friends, one of whom works for the BBC and the other was one of the original Radio Caroline disc jockeys, brought over a CD of Beethoven's 8th Symphony which happened to be my favourite Beethoven at the time. Over a gin or two we played the CD, immediately followed by my vinyl version. Both of them, unprompted by me, said that they preferred the vinyl which brought out a richness and detail which the CD lacked ...

So, all you youngsters, don't for Gawd's sake throw out all your parent's or grandparent's vinyl - there's gold in them thar discs. Get hold of a turntable and enjoy! And of course it doesn't have to be just classical stuff - I play tons of Sinatra and shows like West Side Story, My Fair Lady, Phantom etc - all the better on vinyl!

Tony.

Never surrender.

Harley's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2014, 04:23 PM   #2
Isoverity

I am currently:

Vinyl records are popular with hipsters - but its being debated if the hipsters are actually listening to the records or just appreciating them for the arty covers and nostalgic, decorative appeal. Hipsters like retro trappings.

"Not all those who wander are lost" Tolkien

Isoverity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2014, 06:37 PM   #3
Harley's Dad

Jack, I'm certainly not a Hipster - whatever that is (I'm dead square instead). And of course some of the vinyl LP covers have been highly artistic. But the bottom line is surely the music and just what it sounds like.

I must confess to being slightly disappointed at the lack of response to this thread. Those who've never tried vinyl are missing out. Sure you need a turntable and lowering the arm/stylus onto the record takes a tiny bit more effort than merely switching a CD player on, but it's not rocket science and many people feel that the results are worth it. Some are so enthusiastic that they'll spend huge sums on kit but that isn't necessary. I had a lot of my LPs when I was out in Oman years ago and the effects of the climate there still results in lots of snap, crackle and pop. But one learns to ignore it because the true worth of the quality of the music still shines through regardless ...

Tony, who's deaf (gunner'ear) but still enjoys his music.

Never surrender.

Old 29-11-2014, 07:28 PM   #4
Isoverity

I am currently:

"Hipsters" are like cyber-age hippies. They like beards, keeping their own chickens for the eggs, being reflexively counter-cultural and retro. They are also trendy consumers who like "natural" things while congregating in urban pockets (like Brooklyn in NY City).

"Hipsters are buying vinyl records, but they aren’t listening to them"
http://qz.com/103785/hipsters-are-bu...ening-to-them/

Last edited by Isoverity : 29-11-2014 at 08:14 PM.

Old 29-11-2014, 07:38 PM   #5
tiredout
lost

I am currently:

I have a few records but nothing to play them on and no money to remedy that situation yet. They are mostly what i or my ex found at car boot sales or charity shops. I would buy more and listen to them but like i said money is a big problem right now. Its mostly nostalgia i think, i remember listening to some records when i was younger, the sound quality is of course inferior to modern ways to listen to music but there is something about putting a record on and listening to it all the way through with no skipping a track or shuffling it or whatever. And yes if the music is good it will sound good on vinyl.

I have one in a frame, Iron Maidens Number of the Beast which will be going on a wall eventually. The artwork on a record can be awesome and its lost on smaller CD covers.

Having just moved house there is a million things i have to get first but once the house is sorted and christmas is over i am planning to get a cool record player, some awesome speakers and head over to the music stall that is hopefully still around here.

Last edited by tiredout : 29-11-2014 at 07:43 PM. Reason: thought of something else to say
tiredout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2014, 10:20 PM   #6
Isoverity

I am currently:

One trend I noticed - and it applies to me - is that people are a bit bored with listening to music through ear phones/plugs. This year I decided I was tired of computer speakers/headphones, and got some nice speakers that blow my Logitechs away. Things sound so much better. One thing I also discovered is that speaker makers have been busy trying to make good speakers at a more reasonable cost to bring in people who have rejected the audiophile scene as too expensive, esoteric etc. Maybe vinyl is also part of alternative to the geek-out of music.

Old 30-11-2014, 12:08 AM   #7
Iamcatbug
Cat

My sister's fiancé has loads, he has collected them since he was 14.

Iamcatbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 04:50 AM   #8
effervescence
tired

I am currently:

I have a purple vinyl Evanescence record that I LOVE but I can only play it when I go to my dad's house as he has a record player.

The player and records would take up too much space as I only live in a little room. I think that's a downside for a lot of people, particularly young people who may be flatting, sharing rooms, moving often etc.

Even as the stone of the fruit must break
that its heart may stand in the sun,
so must you know pain.

There are only two ways in which one can live their life. One is as though nothing is a miracle, the other is as though everything is.

effervescence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 07:58 PM   #9
Harley's Dad

Hey, tired out, looking back at this thread I have to take issue with your claim that the sound quality of modern kit is superior to vinyl. Of course these things are subjective but it seems to me that it is precisely because the fullness/richness/detail of vinyl is superior in many people's eyes (and ears!) to, say, CD that the vinyl revival is taking place at all. But everyone must judge for themselves ...

And for those fortunate enough to be able to afford it, some real enthusiasts connect up a turntable/arm/stylus costing say £5-10K to a pre-amp which in turn powers six power amps which link to the woofer, mid-range and tweeters of each of two ultra-high quality speakers. Spending over £50K is easily possible - but I stress that it is definitely not necessary to enjoy the music, which is surely what it's all about.

I understand that some of the wealthy enthusiasts even have special rooms designed to diminish resonance, they are so dedicated. Me, I settle for whatever sounds bounce around our old heap with its beams and lath and plaster - and I like them, which is surely what matters.

Tony.

Never surrender.

Old 03-12-2014, 02:59 AM   #10
tiredout
lost

I am currently:

I only say its better not because it is my preference but simply the fact digital music, specifically flac files are of a much higher bitrate (i think thats the term) and there is more data that an mp3 or cd or record.

Its like blu ray over dvds over vhs. Sure vhs was fine and watchable but you cannot deny the picture quality improved with the new technology. It may be a sad fact but the more data you can put into something the higher the quality. The fullness or richness you talk about is completely personal preference and, I think, one of the aspects of listening to a record people love, like that crackle as the needle touches the vinyl, its part of the experience of listening to the music that you dont get pressing a button or touching a screen.

But even with that i say again, id love to own a record player and have good records to play but it must be a privilage of those with more money than me.

Old 03-12-2014, 03:13 AM   #11
tiredout
lost

I am currently:

Thats not meant to sound defensive or argumentative or anything, i just meant to say i was talking simply about the data not what (what at least i see as) opinion. I like the crackle and hiss and watching them spin and would seriously love even just a half decent record player and speakers. All i have is my phone or the tv for music at the moment.

Old 04-12-2014, 05:53 PM   #12
Mariposa2
Suck It

I am currently:

I've been collecting vinyl for about 15 years. This surge in (re)newed popularity is double edged. There's a wider selection but the prices have been driven up. Way up. Sort of like what's happened in the United States with antiques. I love the sound of vinyl. I love the crackles. I love hunting thrift shops and yard sales to find vinyl. I love album art. I've got an old 1960's Sears record player that still plays beautifully. My collection spans Big Band to Paramore.

Last edited by Mariposa2 : 07-12-2014 at 02:05 AM.

If you don't have what you want then want what you have.

Mariposa2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 02:32 AM   #13
Harley's Dad

Interesting, Mariposa, that the revival is not confined to UK. I don't know whether vinyl LPs are actually still being produced anywhere. If not, then inevitably their rarity is going to inflate of the originals. But there must be vast numbers still tucked away in peoples attics etc. I must confess to having a pile given to me several years ago by someone who worked for Paul McCartney and, to my shame, I've still not yet got around to listening to them all. But I believe that, provided they are not abused by heat or physical damage, most LPs should last for the next hundred or more years. At the end of the day though, it's what the music sounds like that matters ... not the kit or the artwork of the covers ... at least in my view.

Tony.

Never surrender.

Old 05-12-2014, 03:38 AM   #14
Isoverity

I am currently:

I think the music studios would love to go back to vinyl.

Old 05-12-2014, 08:35 PM   #15
Aubergine
You've got this.

I am currently:

I used to make bowls with old vinyl LPs by pouring boiling water over the middle of them. Oops. :P

“Our defeats are softened and our victories are sweetened because we did it together.” - Toby Ziegler.

This isn't everything you are.

Aubergine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 05:21 AM   #16
Isoverity

I am currently:

Was just reading this...

"Alliance Entertainment, which is the largest provider of CD fulfillment services for online stores, said their company experienced double-digit growth over the weekend and including Monday. "Our biggest day by far was Thanksgiving, followed by Black Friday and then Cyber Monday," says a company spokesman, who didn't want to be quoted by name. "Thanksgiving was awesome. It was our biggest day ever."

In addition, "our vinyl sales took a quantum leap over last year," the spokesman said. "It's amazing what has happened with vinyl. It's like everybody discovered this awesome new technology and here we are, over 50 years after it was invented, and it's a hit all over again."

"Black Friday Brings Rough Sales Numbers for Music Retailers, High Notes for Vinyl and Online"

http://www.billboard.com/articles/bu...nyl-pentatonix

Old 06-12-2014, 09:35 AM   #17
effervescence
tired

I am currently:

Vinyl is still being produced, I saw a record of the Disney movie Frozen soundtrack the other day!!

Even as the stone of the fruit must break
that its heart may stand in the sun,
so must you know pain.

There are only two ways in which one can live their life. One is as though nothing is a miracle, the other is as though everything is.

effervescence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 02:07 AM   #18
Mariposa2
Suck It

I am currently:

Yep, vinyl is still being produced and there are reissues of past records coming out too. They don't sound the way a first press/issues sound but they're alright.
I'm glad I've passed my love of vinyl down to my youngest daughter!

If you don't have what you want then want what you have.

Mariposa2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 04:51 PM   #19
pugdog
Outsider

I am currently:

I have a 50's vacuum tube turntable console. I play it quite regularly

-Brian

'in the quiet heart is hidden, sorrow that the eye can't see'

pugdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)