RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 07-01-2021, 03:40 PM   #121
nonperson

I am currently:

You can't guarantee it will like cuddles!

It is so appallingly sad about how many people bought puppies in the first lockdown and have then had to re-home them once they realised they couldn't look after them when life briefly returned to nearly normal in the summer.

nonperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 08:48 PM   #122
Auror.
Camden

or how many puppies for example have seriously bad separation anxiety. my vet tech friends have mentioned how much of a disaster covid puppies are causing them right now.

idk. i'm not against having animals as long as people understand that they aren't just cute and cuddly and can provide for their needs.

we saw that the uk is under complete lockdown again. how are you all coping?

Please do not give me virtual hugs unless you are only using the hug function on threads. Thanks.

You can't always keep it separate.
This is happening, this is part of you.

Auror. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 12:10 AM   #123
The Worst Witch

I am currently:

We are frustrated and scared. Our family is still being ‘oh but you won’t get caught if you come see us’ even though it is illegal to do so. My sister broke lockdown rules and lied to the police when she got caught so now we are scared she will go to jail.

The Worst Witch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 11:10 AM   #124
nonperson

I am currently:

It's more likely to be a hefty fine for breaking the rules, isn't it?

Try not to be feel pressured by your family to break rules, Alison. If you don't feel comfortable seeing them then say no, or just don't let them in if they turn up. Safety is paramount at the moment! I do understand how hard it is though - some people I spoke to about Christmas were a bit blasé about my choice to not see my family too.

Auror, my area of the country was sort of in lockdown anyway so it's not too different. The deaths are shockingly high though and it's slowly creeping in to my safe rural bubble with a couple of people now having cases and deaths in their families.

Edit: someone at my work has now tested positive. Scary. =/

Last edited by nonperson : 08-01-2021 at 01:12 PM.
Old 09-01-2021, 12:29 AM   #125
Unbreakable.
We can try. We can always try.

I am currently:

It is all very scary indeed.
I knew London would be bad, but this I didn't anticipate. Supposedly one in thirty people is infected atm. It's terrifying.

I think I need to try limit how frequently I read the news. I think it's important knowing what's happening, but I need to find a better balance.

Are you gonna get tested, np?

the sun

the moon

the truth

Unbreakable. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 01:19 AM   #126
nonperson

I am currently:

Finding a balance is definitely important. I find myself watching the news too often, for too long sometimes and it makes me feel guilty to switch it off but I know I need to sometimes. I try to watch the same news programme at the same time every day so it limits the time I spend and I get into a routine of changing channel to a something light-hearted afterwards.

I'm not getting tested or needing to isolate. We don't work closely enough fortunately. He says he wasn't at work after he contracted it so we should all be ok.

Old 09-01-2021, 02:17 AM   #127
Unbreakable.

I am currently:

I'm glad you don't need to self isolate :)

I read the news rather than watch them, so it's crazy easy to fall down the rabbit hole. It's worse than being on Wikipedia, honestly.

the sun

the moon

the truth

Old 09-01-2021, 02:58 AM   #128
Pomegranate
Petulant

I am currently:

*projects self into thread*

My support bubble person has tested positive. I have a fever and ALL the body pain but no cough. I’m in the shielding group (and yes I know that means support person wasn’t ideal but was required for nut nut reasons). Day one billion and twelve (or so it feels....in reality day five) alone. Pain is stupid, even compared to normal pain. Currently waiting covid results.

Pls send show recommendations! Sending love to all, especially the nut nuts and lesbians. And even more to the lesbians who are also nut nuts. *fist bumps chest twice and extends arm whilst making a peace sign*

*Proud Plumeria Sister*

Pomegranate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 10:52 AM   #129
nonperson

I am currently:

Ah, Lana yes that is harder to keep track of. I'm a bit of a facebook scroller myself and sometimes say that I'll keep scrolling until a certain time, maybe that would help? It's hard to be self disciplined.

Pomegranate - oh no! I hope it doesn't get any worse. Do you still have enough support while you isolate? (Also want to make an inappropriate comment about isolation sending people a bit looney but maybe shouldn't =P)

What streaming services do you have available to you? Or preferences for show genres?

Old 09-01-2021, 10:44 PM   #130
Pomegranate
Petulant

I am currently:

Thanks NP. My friend left medicines and orange juice on my door step earlier. Results should be back tomorrow.

I have Netflix and Amazon prime in terms of streaming stuff!re preferences, I’m currently watching ‘The Medicos’ and recently finished The Magicians and Fort Salem. Fantasy type series, especially ones that can be binged really or historical dramas!

*Proud Plumeria Sister*

Old 09-01-2021, 11:07 PM   #131
Auror.
Camden

Is The Umbrella Academy an option? I really liked it! I also got to see the first season of His Dark Materials and was impressed. Haven't been able to find the second season yet.

Please do not give me virtual hugs unless you are only using the hug function on threads. Thanks.

Old 09-01-2021, 11:32 PM   #132
Pomegranate
Petulant

I am currently:

Good shout! I loved both but unfortunately have also seen both. Season two of HDM has just come onto iplayer but not sure how you’d access it state side. Thanks for the suggestions though . If you like those kind of shows ‘Boys’ is also very good on Amazon prime.

*Proud Plumeria Sister*

Old 09-01-2021, 11:50 PM   #133
nonperson

I am currently:

Hmm, what about Vikings on Amazon Prime. That's sort of historical!

Old 10-01-2021, 01:38 AM   #134
Unbreakable.

I am currently:

Emma - I just wanna say that I think it's super fine that you have a support bubble when you should be shielding, because your mental wellbeing is important too!!
I have a support bubble and I don't even live by myself and neither does the other person, who, I think, is technically speaking also in the shielding group. But we've kept each other sane through this term and I honestly would cope a lot worth otherwise and will just make the claim that I am doing her some good too!

I don't watch historical stuff, so might not be a good person to ask for recommendations :(

np- I try to limit and be mindful about how much time I spend on news websites, but it IS super unhelpful that you can't escape the news on social media either. I am not using Twitter very much anyway, as I mostly follow political things on there, but even on IG you can't get away from it :(

the sun

the moon

the truth

Old 10-01-2021, 03:32 AM   #135
Auror.
Camden

Hmm. I tend to just rewatch Firefly or the BBC Being Human whenever I need something to watch because I own both on DVD. That might be super unhelpful though. I also just did a rewatch of the Matrix trilogy.

I feel like here a lot of the horrible pandemic news keeps getting overshadowed by other horrible political news and it is quite overwhelming.

Old 10-01-2021, 09:45 AM   #136
nonperson

I am currently:

Ooh those are both excellent shows, Auror! I haven't seen Being Human in years, used to absolutely love it. Incidently it's free on Amazon Prime at the moment! That's my day sorted then. =D

Also there's Buffy, Heroes, Marvel's Agents of Shield, Lost, Bones, Farscape, Dark Matter... They're all things I'd easily binge watch, a bit more sci-fi themed than maybe you'd like Pomegranate?

Old 10-01-2021, 10:42 AM   #137
Iamcatbug
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unbreakable. View Post
Do you have a union rep you could talk to? That doesn't sound legit.
Would any of your chronic mental or physical conditions allow for you to be furloughed?
I don't unfortunatley. I've never joined the union because I have never had an issue as big as this before.

Anyway, since I last posted things have escalated. This is an essay so i'll add a TLDR version at the end.

Basically I am now off sick for a week because of my Area Manager. Lets call him Bob.

On Friday it snowed heavily where I work. Like, worst snow in that area for 10 years bad. I'd driven to work in my car that morning but as the snowfall got heavier, upon being allowed to leave work early due to said snow and arriving to see my car under 6 inches of snow and no way for me to get my car out without poteentially crashing it, I decided that for my own safety I would leave my car near work overnight and get the train home.

This caused a problem as I was supposed to be working at another shop on sat, which required me to drive there as there is no public transport between my home and this workplace. Therefore I thought it would be sensible of me to go back to work, ring Bob and tell him that I felt unsafe driving and was leaving my car where it was which meant I couldn't get to the other shop.

Now the thing is, Bob was working in an area that had recieved snow that had already melted. It was still snowing where I was. He was not happy that I was refusing to drive and told me to get my car home or else. (Did not know at this point that it was illegal to make someone drive in their car if they feel unsafe.)

So Cat, being Cat and not liking confrontation, went back to her car and got her car so far out of the car park before it got too slippy and I couldn't move it any more. Had to call out the AA. They helped me get my car moving and I managed to get out of the car park and on my way home.

This is where the main issue happens. Because lockdown means less traffic, it means the grit on the roads isn't as effective as usual, so the road out to the bypass is still dangerous to drive on. I was driving slowly, but going down a hill. As I was coming to a stop due to a traffic light being red, I skidded on some ice and into the back of the car in front of me. Luckily it was a 1mph impact. And the guy in the car in front was more concerned that I was ok than his car.

Anyway, got home, was ok, until I went to bed and realised how much worse it could have been. This led to me being up all night having panic attacks and me realising if I had said nothing to work/hadn't been going to another shop, this wouldn't have been a problem.

By the time it came for me to set off to the other shop I realised I wasn't in a fit state to drive. Especially as I knew the further north I went to work the worse the snow was going to be. So I rang the shop I was supposed to be in and told them I wouldn't be coming in. Turns out they were already not expecting me because of the weather!

Anyway, at the same time I consulted 111 because I knew that the amount of panic attacks I was having can be a precurser to a full blown crisis and I wanted to avoid that. They suggested getting in touch with my GP on Monday and to self certify for a week while I get on top of my mental health.

Rang my boss at work to explain all this, and who was at work, but Bob. She put Bob on and basically he was more concerned about me being at work than the fact I was saying I was self certifying to prevent myself from having to take more time off in the long run by ignoring my mental health in the past. He basically told me to contact my manager on Sunday and that was it. I just agreed and let him go because I'd had enough of him at this point.

Ended up ringing head office and asking to speak to Betty- the boss above him, who has also known me since I was 15.

She contacted me and I told her all of the above and she said Bob was in the wrong, he should have listened to me and that she would speak to him about how he deals with staff with known past MH issues that are asking for support to prevent a MH cirsis. She also told me to take the whole of next week and to keep in contact with my manager about it.

So yeah, i'm off work for a week all because Bob didn't care about my physical and mental wellbeing. I am debating taking this further/speaking to CAB but because it was all verbal communication, I don't think I could take it much further.

TLDR: Bob the area manager made me drive in snow which caused me to crash. This in turn has started a potential MH crisis which I was medically advised to take time off. Bob tried to deny this request. I contacted Betty his boss and she is backing me.

So yeah, I've learnt that from now on if snow is forecast I am getting the train to work and never taking my car.

Iamcatbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 01:48 PM   #138
Auror.
Camden

That's horrible Cat. I'm so so sorry. I'm glad you are not hurt from trying to drive and can take the week off. I'm also proud of you for advocating for yourself and your needs.

Old 11-01-2021, 12:54 AM   #139
Iamcatbug
Cat

It’s just going back to work that could become a problem because I think Bob could be funny with me. If we weren’t in the middle of a pandemic I would be seeking a new job right now.

I need to contact my uni tomorrow too. Because I have an essay that has an extension on it but I think I’m gonna struggle with it. Not sure what the protocol is as my uni only allows 2 week extensions and I’ve already got this one.

How is everyone else doing?

Iamcatbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2021, 02:20 PM   #140
yoyogirl

I am currently:

Ultimately you have done the right thing in telling your boss about your self-certification, a week off or so should really help and improve your panic attacks and give you time to get things into perspective for your situation(s) Sometimes it is about leaving the situation for a short while to see how you feel and seeing it fresh eyes once you feeling calmer.

But it's also about looking at ways you can cope with the illness and manage the stress in the first place and reaching out for some much-needed support and therapy.

Have you ever confused a dream with life? Or stolen something when you have the cash? Have you ever been blue? Or thought your train moving while sitting still? Maybe I was just crazy. Maybe it was the 60's. Or maybe I was just a girl... interrupted.
I know what it's like to want to die. How it hurts to smile. How you try to fit in but you can't. How you hurt yourself on the outside to try to kill the thing on the inside. I tried groups, didn't work out just made my depression a lot worse.

yoyogirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)