RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 22-12-2019, 12:19 AM   #1
LRgrad15

Don't like talking about my personal issues with family members

Anyone dislike confiding to family members about personal issues or anything that is bothering them? For me, I dislike it because when I was a lot younger, I was judged for talking about stuff that bothered me and was told to just suck it up. Same thing when I once went through a period of depression. I didn't tell family members but they eventually found from other non-family members. I received a two hour lecture about sucking it up and just thinking happy things when feeling that way. At the end of that conversation, I was asked how I felt.

I actually felt worse but I wasn't about to prolong the conversation so I just told them I felt good. Ever since then, I've been pretty good at putting on a fake front when I'm around them. There has been many times where I'll be feeling depressed or upset and they would have no clue, which is what I want. Has anyone had their family judge them? So basically all my life, with the exception of early childhood, I've hated talking to my family about personal issues. The only thing I will still let them know about is anything medical related.

Otherwise, I don't tell them if I feel upset, sad, depressed, or just going through social problems and self esteem issues. I am way more comfortable and willing to tell close friends about personal stuff but not family members. It is the worst during holidays and any other time when extended family members come and ask me personal stuff. I know it sounds harsh, but just because they are family doesn't mean I want to confide in them. In my opinion, it's none of their business. Anyone else hate it when family members ask you personal information?

Do you feel more comfortable telling close friends and keep a forced happy front when you're around family members? I keep any responses as short and vague as possible especially if they're distant relatives. They don't need to know everything just because we are related. I know it may sound rude and harsh but that's just the way it is in order to avoid judgements. Another reason is because if anything is confided in them, they like passing it on to other family members who really don't need to know. That's why I don't tell anyone, even immediate family members, anything at all. I only tell them good stuff, nothing bad whatsoever.

Old 23-12-2019, 01:03 PM   #2
one_step_closer
The Shadow of the Day

I don't talk to my family about things because I worry about upsetting them. I find it much easier to talk to friends or professionals and find I can be more honest with them. I too try to keep on a face around family. I don't think you're harsh for choosing who you speak to about how you're feeling, it's all about who you're comfortable with. Although it is a shame that you feel judged by your family. Do you have enough people you are able to talk to?

I put it down on paper and then the ghost does not ache so much.

Don't try to calm the storm, calm yourself, the storm will pass.

You didn't come this far just to come this far.

one_step_closer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2019, 01:59 AM   #3
Unbreakable.
We can try. We can always try.

I am currently:

I 100% can relate to the way you feel.

I'd rather talk to friends or even coworkers, sometimes even my managers. There's a lot of reasons for that, some are on my family, some are on me I guess.

the sun

the moon

the truth

Unbreakable. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2019, 05:30 PM   #4
LRgrad15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unbreakable. View Post
I 100% can relate to the way you feel.

I'd rather talk to friends or even coworkers, sometimes even my managers. There's a lot of reasons for that, some are on my family, some are on me I guess.
Same with me. I’d rather talk to friends, acquaintances on some stuff, and even coworkers on some stuff as well. Especially work related stuff. Yeah my family doesn’t need to know my personal buiseness. I’m more lenient on my family knowing good tuff, like getting a new job or something just so they know I’m actually doing something with my life but otherwise, I don’t disclose anything especially if it’s negative. And if they happen to find out something negative, I downplay it like it’s no big deal.

Old 03-01-2020, 09:27 PM   #5
Amaranth
Leah

I am currently:

I’m exactly the same. We have never been a family that really shares feelings and stuff, and like you I’d be made to feel judged if I was upset or feeling down, sometimes my mum would actually get angry with me if I was feeling something she didn’t think I should be feeling, so I learned to hide how I was feeling and I’ve gone out of my way to hide my true self and how I’m really feeling from them ever since. None of my family knows anything about my depression or my self harming and I have no intention of ever telling them.

Amaranth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 09:54 PM   #6
LRgrad15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaranth View Post
I’m exactly the same. We have never been a family that really shares feelings and stuff, and like you I’d be made to feel judged if I was upset or feeling down, sometimes my mum would actually get angry with me if I was feeling something she didn’t think I should be feeling, so I learned to hide how I was feeling and I’ve gone out of my way to hide my true self and how I’m really feeling from them ever since. None of my family knows anything about my depression or my self harming and I have no intention of ever telling them.
I’m sorry you have to deal with that. Yeah my parents, especially my dad, has gotten mad at me for feeling down, saying that is babyish and would cause others to not want to be around me. Yeah I learned to keep my feelings to myself. In fact, I’m actually more open about somethings to simple acquaintances than I am with my family. I obviously don’t overshare but there are still some things I’ve shared with acquaintances that my family will never know about.

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)