RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 28-05-2013, 12:51 PM   #1
Steel Maiden
There is no place like 127.0.0.1

Looking beautiful.

I was listening to a talk show while eating lunch and they were talking about how apparently important it is to look beautiful.

I don't understand why it is important to look beautiful. I have never voluntarily made myself look beautiful for as long as I can remember. When I go out, I wear a hoodie and a pair of tracksuit trousers, and trainers. I always choose clothes based on practicality and comfortability only. And my face is spotty but I don't care; make-up gives me sensory overload.

Why is it so important to look beautiful? Are there emotions attached to it? Because I don't understand emotions well.

PM me if you want a PDF copy of the ICD-10 or the Mental Health Act 1983/2007. I ALSO HAVE THE DSM-V BOOK and am a pharmacology student.

I have a visual impairment / neurological problems so I need people to type in clear text and no funny fonts. Also excuse any typos, my vision blocks things out.
I have autism and have problems communicating, PMs included.
Just becasue I type well doesn't mean I speak well. I am only part time verbal.

Steel Maiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2013, 12:56 PM   #2
griddlebone
Head of Chat/Forum Mod.

I am currently:

I like to feel beautiful,for me. It gives me confidence and its important to be that I feel I have made an effort.

There are times to stay put, and what you want will come to you.
But there are times to go out into the world and find such a thing for yourself.
I aint no abacus but you can count on me.

griddlebone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2013, 01:16 PM   #3
Snow White.
I am a fairy.

I am currently:

I agree with Liv. On days when I am depressed if I get dressed in nice clothes and feel I look good, I feel happier. Not putting effort in when I am also unhappy means I'm less likely to leave the house too.

I don't know if I can explain it very well.

Snow White. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2013, 01:33 PM   #4
Buttons.
Never knowing...a helping hand or hell to pay?

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow White. View Post
I agree with Liv. On days when I am depressed if I get dressed in nice clothes and feel I look good, I feel happier. Not putting effort in when I am also unhappy means I'm less likely to leave the house too.

I don't know if I can explain it very well.
This. I feel self conscious and worry other people are judging me if I haven't made an effort, and one of the chief signs of me being in a bad way is not making an effort in how I look. I also find that if I am down but force myself to make an effort I feel at least a bit better about myself.

'Never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you.'

['There is only one thing we say to death. Not today'.']

'We are each our own devil, and we make this world our hell.’ – Oscar Wilde
‘It’s hard to dance with the devil on your back.’ Sydney Carter

Buttons. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2013, 01:36 PM   #5
sherlock holmes
do you like my potato?

Society cares about beauty. Watch a tv programme- the presenters will all be wearing make up and looking their best.

It's personal choice whether you want to wear make up and nice clothes or not, but when I make the effort I feel so much better. I feel attractive.

Isn’t it funny how day by day nothing changes but when you look back, everything is different…

you once called your brain a hard drive, well say hello to the virus.

sherlock holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2013, 02:34 PM   #6
Steel Maiden

Thank you for explaining everyone, it's a bit clearer now.

PM me if you want a PDF copy of the ICD-10 or the Mental Health Act 1983/2007. I ALSO HAVE THE DSM-V BOOK and am a pharmacology student.

I have a visual impairment / neurological problems so I need people to type in clear text and no funny fonts. Also excuse any typos, my vision blocks things out.

Old 28-05-2013, 02:49 PM   #7
Faulty item

Ffs theres no hope for me then. I dont like looking in a mirror so god knows what other people think, but you get to a stage when you just couldnt give a toss. Need to sort my inside out before getting a full body transplant.

Faulty item is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2013, 02:53 PM   #8
Stellata

I believe that beauty comes from within. When I'm feeling bad, not very much shines through. I think this is a sad fact of life that hits one most when one reaches one's 40s!

Stellata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2013, 02:53 PM   #9
FabulousMike
Proud Union Activist.

I am currently:

I just can't help it, beauty comes naturally to me...

*giggles*

FabulousMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2013, 02:55 PM   #10
Faulty item

Butterflys have got it sorted , no hanging about and they do get to be beautiful and fly.

Faulty item is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2013, 02:55 PM   #11
crazykat
Fight for another day

I agree that society places a big emphasis on being beautiful, it surrounds us everywhere such as in tv and magazines. For me personally though when I make an effort by getting dressed up/putting on make-up it makes me feel better about myself. Everyone is different though, not everyone needs to wear make-up/get dressed up to feel beautiful or feel comfortable about who they are.

"Recovery is something that you have to work
on every single day and it's
something that doesn't
get a day off."

crazykat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2013, 03:24 PM   #12
Steel Maiden

I don't have the desire or need to look beautiful. I feel good when I'm reading a good textbook, listening to my favourite music, or playing Scrabble. But when I go out, the thought of needing to look good never comes into my head. When I go out and choose what clothes to wear, I judge my choice on comfort, the weather and practicality for the activities I'll be doing. I like big pockets to carry things in.

There's nothing wrong with being 40. My Dad is 64 this year and he still works out at the gym and people say he looks like he's 20+ years younger. What I'm trying to say is that age is only a number.

Old 28-05-2013, 03:32 PM   #13
crazykat
Fight for another day

^I think as long as your happy then that is all that matters :)

"Recovery is something that you have to work
on every single day and it's
something that doesn't
get a day off."

crazykat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2013, 04:26 PM   #14
DontLookUp
Saffyx

I am currently:

I think its nice to dress up sometimes and sometimes wear make up, simply cause if you can why shouldnt you? Having said that im not the biggest fan of makeup.
But everyone should be able to wear/dress/look how they want as long as they feel ok with it and it should never be what defines them as a person.

♥ .I'm going to fall like I don't need saving. ♥
...My smile's just the armour I built when I was alone...

There was some part of me that hurt so badly, that I wouldn't ever be able to forget it.
It faded but the memories could bring it back any second, keeping me in the moment.
It would never fully heal. I could never really be free. I could never really be fixed.
Now I just have to work out how to live whilst being broken.
I feel like I'm dying.

DontLookUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2013, 04:30 PM   #15
Steel Maiden

Thank you both.

My mother used to try and force fashion onto me (she had this obsession about making me "normal" and "like everyone else"), but eventually she got the point that I'm seriously not comfortable in tight jeans, and she stopped. (NB: I don't associate with my mother anymore for other reasons)

I think that people dressing up and putting make up on is good if it helps them. But I get worried when I see so many young people striving so hard for acceptance by their peers solely by wearing the "right" clothes, make-up etc., and then make fun of those who don't. I was bullied as a teenager for wearing army trousers or tracksuits to school (no uniform at my secondary school).

Old 28-05-2013, 05:25 PM   #16
Aquifolia

Sometimes I dress up pretty for my boyfriend's sake, otherwise I wear what is comfortable. I never wear make up. I often wear track pants too when I go out. They are comfortable, I don't see a reason not to.

I think sometimes it is fun to put together outfits, but I do it to look the way that I like, not the way society expects of me. I think, especially for women, there is a lot of pressure to look a specific way and we call that "beautiful". That definition of beauty only holds meaning if you let it. It is absolutely not necessary to follow that protocol if it is not important to you.

Kids in school can be harsh about appearances. Adults, though, usually have the good sense not to concern themselves with what other people are wearing.

Aquifolia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2013, 06:06 PM   #17
Left Phalange
Phillip, look at me, I'm a stamp!

I am currently:

Beauty is in the eye of a beholder as they say. And 'beauty' is a different level of importance to different people. I hope you are starting to understand that while you don't necessarily understand why people do certain things and don't like/do them yourself, other people have different beliefs and opinions to yourself, which is what you need to keep in mind when you think about things like this.

Feeling and being beautiful will be high on the list of importance to some people, as that is what makes them feel good, happy and confident, just like reading textbooks make you happy. I like making an effort with my appearance, it makes me feel more confident and lets me focus on doing other things, as opposed to constantly thinking about how shiit I look. If that makes sense.

I'm gonna tap him like a maple tree. I'm gonna search him for some syrups. I'm gonna be having sex with him.

Left Phalange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2013, 08:07 PM   #18
Mrs Sam
Nothing Special

I am currently:

I don't try and make myself look nice anymore. No make up or nice clothes really. I tend to dress up for an occasion but more because its what is expected of me. I used to dress up when I was younger which I guess was to try and feel/ be attractive but I've never been attractive and I don't mind that so much now as I'm married with kids so I don't have time anyway. So yeah I would say for me I don't care about beauty.

Something Special.

Mrs Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2013, 08:11 PM   #19
Patch.
:)

I am currently:

Quote:
I feel good when I'm reading a good textbook, listening to my favourite music, or playing Scrabble
I admire this Oly :)
I think that it is important to do what makes you feel good as an individual.

How can the light that burned so brightly
Suddenly burn so pale?

Patch. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2013, 12:08 AM   #20
Isoverity

I am currently:

I came to consider make-up as "war paint" a long time ago lol

Isoverity is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)