RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 17-04-2020, 05:26 PM   #1
Reminiscer

I am currently:
Remembering the past

Does anyone have fond memories of their past that makes them feel nostalgic? Maybe even a combination of happiness and sadness? Usually I will have a combination of both when I see a picture or actually visit a place in the past that I used to be at a lot. What are some places that give you feelings of nostalgia? Also do you feel an urge to avoid some places due to the memories making you sad, even if the memories are good? I know I have the tendency to do that at times. Just wondered what your experiences were.

Reminiscer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2020, 05:45 PM   #2
nonperson

I am currently:

There are a couple of things like that. Listening to Blink 182's album 'Enema of the State' always fills me with nostalgia and reminds me of being in my GCSE art exam at school. It was a sunny June day and we were inside drawing all day but it was a sort of nice moment, out of the usual school routine.

The other is Falmouth. Loved living there but I wasn't having a good time at that point in my life so it's definitely a mix of feelings.

I think it's quite common for memories to have both good and sad feelings attached to them, especially if things have changed a lot.

nonperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2020, 08:36 PM   #3
Reminiscer

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonperson View Post
There are a couple of things like that. Listening to Blink 182's album 'Enema of the State' always fills me with nostalgia and reminds me of being in my GCSE art exam at school. It was a sunny June day and we were inside drawing all day but it was a sort of nice moment, out of the usual school routine.

The other is Falmouth. Loved living there but I wasn't having a good time at that point in my life so it's definitely a mix of feelings.

I think it's quite common for memories to have both good and sad feelings attached to them, especially if things have changed a lot.
Yep I totally agree. In fact, sometimes when a place has changed in terms of it's physical state like a school or home or anywhere else that you used to frequent, sometimes seeing a major change can help. It may be bittersweet to see things are different but at the same time, seeing how things have changed can prevent memories from hitting you very hard. Less likely chance of thinking, "Oh this happened here, that happened there, I remember doing this here, and we did all of these things there." If it is exactly the same, no difference and you go back to visit years later, in my experience, that can hit way harder than when things are different. That's just my experience though. I agree with you.

Old 22-04-2020, 04:06 AM   #4
3chars
rebecca

I've spent a lot of time over the past few weeks thinking back to my childhood. There are gaps, for sure... but I've caught onto a bunch of visual/audio medium which have taken me back to times I can remember quite vividly and fondly, which is nice. Argos catalogues archives is an odd one! Music and TV intros/themes.

3chars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2020, 04:31 AM   #5
Isoverity

I am currently:

"Not all those who wander are lost" Tolkien

Isoverity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2020, 01:13 PM   #6
Reminiscer

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3chars View Post
I've spent a lot of time over the past few weeks thinking back to my childhood. There are gaps, for sure... but I've caught onto a bunch of visual/audio medium which have taken me back to times I can remember quite vividly and fondly, which is nice. Argos catalogues archives is an odd one! Music and TV intros/themes.
Yeah it's common to think about childhood. I actually don't think about childhood as much as I think about the friends I had in college and the overall experience of being independent and less drama than high school. But I do remember the times where there was less drama before high school as well.

Old 22-04-2020, 01:14 PM   #7
Reminiscer

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isoverity View Post

Oh wow.

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)