Live Help

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 08-11-2016, 02:37 AM   #1
Izumi2254
Big_Brother_Ed

I am currently:
Post suicide attempt confusion

I attempted suicide a couple weeks ago. from everything i read online, i should have been kept in a psych ward for about three days. instead i only stayed to two days while i recovered and then i was free to go home. is this what usually happens? i live in Australia by the way

“It is such a mysterious place, the land of tears.”
― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, The Little Prince

Izumi2254 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 03:10 AM   #2
Unbreakable.
Lana.

I am currently:

I *think* it's more that they legally CAN keep you for three days as a sort of assessment phase and they have to put you on a long term section if they intend to keep you any longer.

My understanding is that they can discharge you once they can assume you are able to keep yourself safe/it has been established that you will be having some form of support in the community. I don't think there is a minimum of days they *have* to keep you in hospital.

Unbreakable. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 09:01 AM   #3
sherlock holmes
do you like my potato?

Some people are never admitted to the psych ward at all after a suicide attempt, some people stay a few days and some can stay for weeks/months. It all depends on how you are doing and if the doctors think your level has risk has reduced enough for you to manage at home.

Were you disappointed that you were sent home? Do you still feel suicidal? It's important to talk to a doctor if you are feeling like you want to harm yourself so you can get some help.

Isn’t it funny how day by day nothing changes but when you look back, everything is different…

you once called your brain a hard drive, well say hello to the virus.

sherlock holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 02:57 PM   #4
Sooty
Sophie

I am currently:

After my suicide attempt I was discharged from hospital (not psych hospital - short stay ward after my OD was treated) and sent to stay at my friends house without the mention of a psych hospital stay. I'm not sure what the situation is like in Aus but over in the UK, free beds are so rare that they are reluctant to suggest hospital. What kind of support are you getting now that you're home?

Sophie.x

Soon... Now will be then...Today will be yesterday... Present will be past...And thought will be memory... So...Live for the future! Make your future how you want it!

Sooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2016, 05:10 PM   #5
yoyogirl

I am currently:

I am sorry to hear you attempted suicide, do you have a plan in place in case you need it? I find writing down a list of people that can help you when your in crisis and perhaps things you can do to keep yourself safe. For example, if i am in a crisis situation I find that distractions do not work however listening to soothing music helps.

Have you ever confused a dream with life? Or stolen something when you have the cash? Have you ever been blue? Or thought your train moving while sitting still? Maybe I was just crazy. Maybe it was the 60's. Or maybe I was just a girl... interrupted.
I know what it's like to want to die. How it hurts to smile. How you try to fit in but you can't. How you hurt yourself on the outside to try to kill the thing on the inside. I tried groups, didn't work out just made my depression a lot worse.

yoyogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2016, 01:09 PM   #6
Patent Pending
★ Katie ★

I am currently:

Hi there,

I'm sorry to hear things got so hard for you that you hurt yourself.

Do you have some support set up in the community? Would you like to talk about what got you to that point?

As said above, I think it depends on your perceived level of risk/support you have available etc as to how long you're kept in hospital. I for one was never kept on a psych ward - I was only ever treated for the physical side of things and discharged back to the community.

x x x

It's the ups and downs of living life this way. Promise me you'll never go away. Just stay with me through one more night because it's always darkest before the light and now I promise you I'll never turn away. I won't let you give us one less heart to break...

Patent Pending is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)