RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 04-06-2020, 03:48 PM   #1
juancho92

Pristiq (Desvenlafaxine) in the UK

Hi guys,
I'm from Spain and I've been living in London for about 4 years already .

I've been taking Pristiq 50 mg since 2014 and could not get it in here as it is not licensed in the UK so I kept getting the prescriptions from Spain and they've been sent over to me by my family.

I was wondering if there would be any another way to get this medication in here in the UK and if any of you guys know about differences between venlafaxine and desvenlafaxine.

I've been told that venlafaxine is almost the same molecule and works pretty similarly but obviously it is older and its a bit less kinder with the liver,which is not ideal as I'm also taking triumeq (HIV medication) which is not really gentle with my liver either.. so it will be great to keep taking pristiq without having to involve my family to ship it to the UK every month.

any ideas?

thanks in advance for your help

juancho92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 09:44 AM   #2
Pi.R^2
Pathologically flamboyant

I am currently:

Hey,

Have you got a GP here in the UK? I can only advise that you speak to them as they are the best placed to advise about whether it would be safe for you to take venlafaxine along with your triumeq.

No other sadness in the world would do

Pi.R^2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 03:49 PM   #3
juancho92

Hey Pi.R,

Thanks for your answer .

I do have GP in the UK. so yes I guess that I should check with them at some point.

I only wanted to know if anybody had any similar experience with desvenlafaxine and venlafaxine.

Last edited by juancho92 : 08-06-2020 at 09:52 AM.
Old 10-06-2020, 01:07 PM   #4
juancho92

switching to 75 mg venlafaxine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi.R^2 View Post
Hey,

Have you got a GP here in the UK? I can only advise that you speak to them as they are the best placed to advise about whether it would be safe for you to take venlafaxine along with your triumeq.
I've spoken to my GP and he prescribed 75 mg of venlafaxine to be taken twice a day: 37,5 mg in the morning and 37,5 mg in the evening.

I think its good idea but I've read different and concerning stuff regarding my switching ( from 50 mg pristiq to 75mg venlafaxine) as it might not be enough to cover the concentration of med I usually reach with pristiq. So it may be possible to have some withdrawal symptoms in the following weeks. Nevertheless I will carry on taking pristiq until I run out Monday.

The thing is that I've seen myself forced to speak with my GP and get venlafaxine because a pristiq supply sent by my mum from Spain has not arrived yet and I fear it won't get here any time soon due to the coronavirus situation and disruptions in the royal mail service . Hopefully I will get a supply of pristiq before I change to venlafaxine on Tuesday cause it is a bit scary mess up with my meds when they've been working well all this last 5 years.

I will keep you all posted.

Old 12-06-2020, 10:29 PM   #5
Pi.R^2
Pathologically flamboyant

I am currently:

Glad you've got some venlafaxine at least as a back up, good luck!

No other sadness in the world would do

Pi.R^2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2020, 12:08 PM   #6
juancho92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi.R^2 View Post
Glad you've got some venlafaxine at least as a back up, good luck!
Thanks very much !

I'm not going to use Venlafaxine at the end as I've just got the pristiq from Spain today luckily ! such a really good timing! but its good that at least have the Venlafaxine as a backup in case it happens in the future!

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)