Live Help

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 10-04-2009, 11:55 PM   #141
Godsmydaddy
"I believe in God...even when he's silent" unknown

I am currently:

I like to sing or just be creative. It helps me to forget the pain I might be experiencing. If I can find a good book to read, sing a favorite song at full blast, talk to a friend about happy stuff, or maybe turn on a favorite or new movie, I feel a LOT better and after I've distracted myself for a while, the urge disappears. :)

Godsmydaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2009, 12:19 PM   #142
lifeisonstandstill

I am currently:

there is this lad i like but he said to me that hes freaked out by my arms and i dont know what to do is it me on just how he feels. he said he dont want to come near me just in case he hurts me and now my head is all over the place what do i do can any one help me please

lifeisonstandstill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2009, 12:23 PM   #143
lifeisonstandstill

I am currently:

bu i want to stop anyway but how long do you have to not do it before you can think off gettin surgery in your arms if anyone knows please could you tell me thanks

lifeisonstandstill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2009, 03:50 PM   #144
Left Phalange
Phillip, look at me, I'm a stamp!

I am currently:

I find that playing Guitar Hero or Tetris work wonders =D
Although I do prefer Guitar Hero.
It gets me angry at the game rather than at myself and it's so addictive, you just want to spend ages trying to get better.
I remember having really bad urges and no one was in, so I put on Guitar Hero and spent hours and hours playing it, first on Medium, then going on Hard and now I kick arse =D
Next, Expert ;]

I'm gonna tap him like a maple tree. I'm gonna search him for some syrups. I'm gonna be having sex with him.

Left Phalange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2009, 01:14 PM   #145
Biba

I am currently:

i s/h when i was quite young, as earlie as 9. i didnt understand why, it continued till around 16. im 32 now, it started again last year. i got professional help as a teen, as an adult i cant belive iv gone back, i cannot speak about the way everything is effectn me, iam so tried of feeling stressed out.. and getn hurt by me.. i worked harder to change me.. i thought what could make me gain some control.. i searched my mind till i found an anwer.. id no idea what i was even lookn for.. i just had the urge to search ..as i had the urge to s/h. and one day i saw a add in the paper. for adult swimming lessons.. first thought was .. no way. that would mean id to expose my skin.. i thought i cant.. sure i a can hardly swim.. so i made a deal with my self.. try one whole season session a 6wk thing.. its not cus you'l like it.. its a diferent more personal reason.. i said to myself if you really wanna stop.. then go. i figured it had to work.. cus you can not get in the pool if you have an open wound. it worked any time i feel that urge i turn it to a healthy urge. im not out of the woods yet.. iv told myself that this is something you will always have to work on in your life.. so far i accept me and whats happen to me

I looove to laugh.. laughter is a direct route to the soul it broadens your perspective, keeps you healthy, and makes an unbearable situation easier to deal with .. the world is brighter when we smile.

Laughter is a direct route to the soul. It broadens your perspective, keeps you healthy, and makes an unbearable situation alot easier to deal with.

Biba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2009, 01:29 PM   #146
Biba

I am currently:

as for the swimming.. i actuall liked it a little.. over time i grew to love it.. for what it has done for me.. i havnt been in a while because things are so busy.. and already i feel myself slipping back. i hadnt been swimming since i was 10/11 latest 12 the pool was not near me. id leave my house at 6.15 and arrive at the pool at 8pm.. yes its a long drive for a half hour intensive swim.. they advance me after the second night to work on laps with 4 others. things were changing in a positve light. i didnt care about the barriers like distance or what would i say if someone questioned a scar i thought move along. the rest had reasons to be doin laps they wer training for trathalons an each one asked why each one joined when it came to me i had nothing.. so i smiled and said iam here for the work out, i find gym hard. but i knew in my heart why i was there... and thats the most important thing.. to be sure and satisfied inside.

I looove to laugh.. laughter is a direct route to the soul it broadens your perspective, keeps you healthy, and makes an unbearable situation easier to deal with .. the world is brighter when we smile.

Laughter is a direct route to the soul. It broadens your perspective, keeps you healthy, and makes an unbearable situation alot easier to deal with.

Old 12-05-2009, 09:26 PM   #147
kona
Lucius

I am currently:

I try and remember how far I've come and who I'm doing it for. I'm NOT doing it for my mum, and I'm NOT doing it for my friends. I'm doing it for me. I know they'll be hurt and disappointed if I start again, but not as much as I would myself when I look back on it in a few hours time.

If I have to do something I look around the house and find a safe way to make myself feel as though I have have harmed, without doing any actual damage to myself. This can be from making some fake blood and painting it on my skin where I want to harm, from covering the part of me that i want to harm like I would if there were wounds/scars there.

I also try to sit down and do something creative. I'm learning how to play piano (self taught now), and I'm learning a peace by Emilie Autumn which I found 7 months ago and helped me through a rough patch of my life. Learning how to play it and hearing the words come from my own mouth is therapeutic in its own right. Plus knowing that the music is coming from my own hands and not someone Else's, and hearing how I improve from day to day builds my spirits and helps me get through the day.

If all else fails, I think about my friends faces the last time i gave them an update. When I told them I'd hit 3 months, all of their faces lit up and it made me so happy to know that, just by not doing something destructive for a length of time, I could make them smile gives me hope that I will be able to smile again and be happy, just as long as I can get through the next few hours without hurting myself.

I'm Angela's (dancing loony) guard dog, I'm Comatostatic's Squishy
Comatostatic is my Plague rat in a top hat
my poetry

kona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2009, 10:36 AM   #148
charlieglasgow
bedlam publishing journalist :)

I am currently:

i learned a lot from my occupational therapist in the hospital.

bouncing balls.
hold a bouncing ball at your belly button and at a set time, release it, don't toss it, to the floor.

it centers you.

bean bag tapping therapy- sounds off-the-wall, but on a certain level, SI is a sensory issue. It helps to retrain the body more positive sensory input. And gently tapping the bean bag on your arms and legs can help relieve anxiety and stress, and can help through urges.

http://www.icedteaandlemoncake.wordpress.com
I have a blog, and I LOVE comments. pretty please?

what's up? I'm a bagel.

charlieglasgow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2009, 05:35 PM   #149
PointeShoes-x
It couldn't have been easy.

I am currently:

I text my friends or talk to them on MSN. If it's friends that know about it I can tell them exactly what's going on and they can try and persuade me not to, obviously, but it's still OK with friends that don't know, I just don't mention why I'm texting them and I just chat to them about random things and it acts as a distraction.

If it's the day time then I get out of the house, if not then I find watching a light-hearted DVD really helps take my mind off things. Sometimes I do the 'I can cut in 15 minutes' thing and it really does work.

~"To the well-organised mind, death is but the next great adventure."~

So if you care to find me,
Look to the western sky...
As someone told me lately,
Everyone deserves a chance to

Fly

PointeShoes-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2009, 12:31 AM   #150
blueskies and butterflies

I am currently:

i have been self harm free for about 12 months now.. what i found help, was taking a picture of my wounds, and when my skin was healed, and i felt triggered just seeing the damage, i could cause turn me off self harm.. if you don't like that idea, then maybe what i also found that helped was putting myself harm tools in a box and throwing them away.. so if i felt triggered, then i couldn't cut, because they weren't there.. but i think the best of all.. is just write down how you are feeling.. i hope this helped x

Last edited by blueskies and butterflies : 16-05-2009 at 12:46 AM. Reason: made a spelling mistake
blueskies and butterflies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2009, 11:27 PM   #151
Biba

I am currently:

that cant be right i heard yesterday that fallen star died. are you? or is she alive?? now im cofused, cus there's a thread, in respect of her.

Old 24-05-2009, 02:17 PM   #152
amethyst

Copied from a thread I posted a while back - http://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum...ad.php?t=74987

The following content has been hidden - Reason : Quite a long list.
-Keeping busy. (82.4%)

-Being around friends. (80.0%)

-Talking to someone about how you feel. (74.3%)

-Writing about how you feel. (74.3%)

-Talking to friends (71.4%)

-Interacting with someone who is nice to you. (68.6%)

-Thinking of someone who cares about you. (65.7%)

-Finding someone who is understanding. (65.7%)

-Doing sports or exercise recreationally. (65.7%)

-Listening to music. (62.9%)

-Anticipating others' reactions to self-harm. (60.0%)

-Being around people. (57.1%)

-Doing mindless activities. {Eg. Sudoku, you can find Sudoku on the distractions page} (48.6%)

-Reading. (42.9%)

-Writing poetry. (42.9%)

-Finding a less chaotic environment. (40.0%)

-Taking a hot bath or shower. (40.0%)

-Thinking about how much it will hurt. (39.4%)

-Thinking about others with similar problems. (37.1%)

-Receiving outpatient counselling. (37.1%)

-Removing the means/instrument typically used to self-harm from home. (35.5%)

-Talking to your doctor/professional. (34.3%)

-Religion/spirituality. (34.3%)

-Closing eyes and thinking calming thoughts. (34.3%)

-Setting limits on frequency on self-harm. (34.3%)

-Doing household chores. (34.3%)

-Relaxing. (28.6%)

-Chatting on internet. (20.0%)

-Organized sports. (18.2%)

-Working with paint, clay, play-doh. (17.1%)

-Playing a musical instrument. (14.3%)

-Learning something new. (8.6%)

-Drawing on arms with red pen/marker (8.6%)

-Massaging the area you want to harm. (5.7%)

-Cooking. (5.7%)

-Mutilating fruit or vegetable or other food. (2.9%)

-Group therapy. (2.9%)

-Pastoral/religious counselling (2.9%)

Old 25-05-2009, 03:14 AM   #153
SoDark

I am currently:

I go to the gym as often as possible. It seems to take the place unhealthy things.

SoDark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2009, 12:16 AM   #154
infinitely
awake and unafraid

I am currently:

I would say, take one day at the time. Write down the date from your last SI, so you know when it was. If you want, you can count the days. After a while you realize that it's gone a week, or a month, or a year, and then when the urges come you can think about how far you've come, and wouldn't it be a waste if all those days because for nothing? Because even one single day is an achievement, so don't even think "it's just a day, I can start tomorrow" and stuff like that, because if you always think like that - then you'll never get anywhere.

your heart is a muscle the size of your fist
keep on loving, keep on fighting
and hold on, and hold on, hold on for your life

infinitely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2009, 12:04 PM   #155
thedes
hip to the javabean

I really find it helps to just talk to someone! If you're like me though, and you're often up very late feeling crap with nobody awake or online on msn, I find taking a warm (WARM, not boiling hot ;D D;) shower, and relaxing with some music helps a lot. If you need release, try tearing up an old phone book or smashing some ice cubes, I also find that fake blood works really well.
Good luck, you are all capable of giving up! :D <3

thedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2009, 12:24 PM   #156
Schleier von Dunst
Let the music express the unexpressable.

I am currently:

I found that not counting how long I'd been free helped me. I remember the date of my last cut of any importance, because it was my Ex's birthday. But since then, I lost track of the days, the weeks and the months, until I finally got an urge the other day. When that happened, I worked out how long it had been since my last cut (which triggered me slightly) and it had been 5 months and 3 days. I was amazed at this because it was the longest I'd ever been. I told myself that if I could do that, I could reach the end of my exams, I could reach 6 months and beyond, simply by not counting!

I probably rambled there, but I hope it helps someone out there

Das Leben ich(The life of me)

Schleier von Dunst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 02:35 PM   #157
Crayon,

Dancing to songs like Rock this party - Bob Sinclair. I'm currently doing that, although its just out of plain boredem this time, but i love doing anything physical to get my mind off si.

My Blog, come pick at my brain.

Crayon, is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 05:55 PM   #158
Samuel

I am currently:

Going for a long bike rides with my MP3 player has helped me say SI free the past 4 months.

Samuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 09:01 PM   #159
fallen wings44
fly to hope,love and freedom

I am currently:

listen to my cd or mp3 on full blast!! :)

we are the fallen
we are the wounded
we are the shattered
we are the unheard
we are the brave
we are the strong
we are Survivors.
and.....
we are the future
we fallen can still rise by the wings of hope that lifts us~

fallen wings44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 05:47 PM   #160
maria2

I am currently:

Although I've been 7 years free I still get the thoughts and intrusive images of self-harming, but that's Ok. I tell myself - a thought, an image, a feeling cannot hurt me unless I act on it. I found in the past that when I acted on these thoughts by self-harming, they only got worse and more frequent.

In the past I used to be worried about "putting off self-injury" because people told me this would make it worse - but to be honest this notion kept me trapped in a cycle of self-injury that was getting worse all the time. I did find that when I last relapsed 7 years ago, it was alot worse and alot more dangerous than I anticipated - so the fear that it could be worse than I intended this helps.

I guess I also think about the consequences (in reality) for others aswell as myself. If I am having thoughts of SI - I ask myself "What are the likely unintended consequences of SI for myself and others?"

Hope this helps!

maria

maria2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)