RYL Forums

Forum Jump

Old 09-06-2011, 01:57 AM   #1
Hezz

I am currently:
Overdose/ Self-Poisoning Question - Salbutamol Inhaler

I was at a gig tonight, and stupid me didn't realise how loud and crowded it would be...

To cut a long story short, I had a panic attack. Usually I can deal with them, sort of. But I felt really trapped in the venue and just couldn't catch my breath so I felt really wheezy. Whenever I feel wheezy, I take my inhaler but this time, I took far too much. I don't know what happened, when I have panic attacks I often just sort of black out and can't remember what's happened, but I know that I took far, far too much in quite a short space of time.

And now, I'm feeling really ill. My chest really hurts, but it's not the same as when my asthma is bad. It's not even the same place. Feels a bit like bad heart burn more than anything else. And my hands won't stop shaking. In fact, my whole body keeps shaking. It's like I'm shivering but I'm not cold. And I'm dizzy and feeling nauseous.

I'm terrified to sleep in case I stop breathing or something and I don't know what to do. Mum finds me having panic attacks hilarious so I can't tell her. I don't know whether to pop to my GPs tomorrow because they never have same day appointments unless you are really lucky and phone at 8am and get through before anyone else. Which I can't do since I won't be home alone until 20 past or so. And I don't want to waste their time by taking up an appointment someone who hasn't done something stupid could use.

Any advice?

It is idle to dread what you cannot avoid.
Publius Syrus

2 Hugs Given By :
Old 09-06-2011, 04:01 AM   #2
offlineforever
Left RYL

I'd advise ringing NHS direct

Left.

Old 09-06-2011, 09:56 AM   #3
MissAnonymous

I am currently:

I would advise ringing NHS direct too, not because of the amount of salbutamol inhaler, but mainly because of how you feel now.

Too much salbutamol inhaler can make your heart rate increase and you feel a bit on edge but if you haven't used it excessively since last night, the salbutamol would be out of your system.

Old 10-06-2011, 12:16 AM   #4
Hezz

I am currently:

Would a call to NHS direct show up on a phone bill if it was itemised? My parents get all the phones in the house to have itemised billing to keep track of who I call and stuff... I can't let them find out.

However, over 24 hours later and the chest pain hasn't gone, I still feel sick, I'm still getting random dizzy spells and tremors, and I don't know if it's linked or not, but I'm feeling incredibly anxious, to the point where I will be in a room and can't leave because I'm scared to face what will be outside the door.

Publius Syrus

Old 10-06-2011, 04:40 PM   #5
fragile as glass
such a beautiful disaster

I am currently:

Salbutamol naturally increases your heart rate and can make you feel like its racing. You should never really take more than your prescribed dose unless your asthma gets worse for a few days or you get a chest infection.

Saying that, the effects of taking too much ventolin should not last more than a few hours.

Give NHS Direct a ring and get their advice, if you are genuinely non self harm ill then your parents should have no reason to be cross with you for ringing.

Take care.

GRANT ME THE SERENITY TO ACCEPT THE THINGS I CANNOT CHANGE
THE COURAGE TO CHANGE THE THINGS I CAN
AND THE WISDOM TO KNOW THE DIFFERENCE

Don't let the sphincter's get you down

Old 11-06-2011, 12:20 AM   #6
Hezz

I am currently:

I spoke to the pharmacist at work to ask her advice on the matter. She thinks I must have pulled a muscle in my chest area, hence the pain. The shaking could just be because my asthma is bad and I'm taking my inhaler more than usual anyway and it's a normal side effect of it. The dizziness could be the low blood pressure and feeling sick could just be a coincidence.

I hope she is right.

Publius Syrus

Old 11-06-2011, 12:32 AM   #7
Emmabob.

I am currently:

i dont know about anyone else or if its even a side effect from salbutamol but i know i feel really sick if i've used a lot of it.

Old 11-06-2011, 10:12 AM   #8
fragile as glass

I am currently:

I think you'd know if it was anything more serious by now. But if you feel worse seek medical advice again.

Old 11-06-2011, 04:54 PM   #9
SadGirl55

How do u know if your having an asthma attack or a panic attack??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hezz View Post
I was at a gig tonight, and stupid me didn't realise how loud and crowded it would be...

To cut a long story short, I had a panic attack. Usually I can deal with them, sort of. But I felt really trapped in the venue and just couldn't catch my breath so I felt really wheezy. Whenever I feel wheezy, I take my inhaler but this time, I took far too much. I don't know what happened, when I have panic attacks I often just sort of black out and can't remember what's happened, but I know that I took far, far too much in quite a short space of time.

And now, I'm feeling really ill. My chest really hurts, but it's not the same as when my asthma is bad. It's not even the same place. Feels a bit like bad heart burn more than anything else. And my hands won't stop shaking. In fact, my whole body keeps shaking. It's like I'm shivering but I'm not cold. And I'm dizzy and feeling nauseous.

I'm terrified to sleep in case I stop breathing or something and I don't know what to do. Mum finds me having panic attacks hilarious so I can't tell her. I don't know whether to pop to my GPs tomorrow because they never have same day appointments unless you are really lucky and phone at 8am and get through before anyone else. Which I can't do since I won't be home alone until 20 past or so. And I don't want to waste their time by taking up an appointment someone who hasn't done something stupid could use.

Any advice?

Old 11-06-2011, 05:07 PM   #10
offlineforever
Left RYL

Quote:
Originally Posted by SadGirl55 View Post
Apparently it can be hard to establish the difference as the symptoms are similar

Left.

Old 11-06-2011, 05:30 PM   #11
Emmabob.

I am currently:

Quote:
generally panic attacks make breathing in difficult, asthma makes breathing out hard.

Old 15-06-2011, 12:05 AM   #12
Hezz

I am currently:

Quote:
I can't really tell. The only indication I have is the circumstances and whether the inhaler helps.

If I lose feeling in my hands or feet, or get pins and needles in my jaw, I know it's a panic attack but the trouble breathing always hits first and it feels like bad asthma, so I take the inhaler.

But no, I can never tell as soon as it starts if it's panic or asthma causing it.

Publius Syrus

Old 15-06-2011, 12:46 PM   #13
MissAnonymous

I am currently:

If stress is a trigger for asthma, a panic attack can induce an asthma attack and vice versa, obviously. I have often had [well, in the past] both at the same time. Each symptom inducing more panic or worsening asthma. Its important to learn how to calm yourself down in these situations.

Practising breathing techniques every day can train yourself to breathe better in the long term as asthmatics tend to breathe differently to non asthmatics using less of their lung capacity. There is quite a lot of info on the Asthma UK site about this.

Old 15-06-2011, 01:37 PM   #14
fragile as glass

I am currently:

Yep, I was taught when 5 years old that panicking only makes things worse.

Old 16-06-2011, 01:56 PM   #15
roiben
Insanity let loose

I am currently:

I would advise speaking to your GP about this - especially if your asthma/anxiety has been worse recently and you are using the inhaler more frequently.

Do you have a daily inhaler, as well as the one you use when you have an attack? If not, it may be that this is a good idea.

Roiben x

If the Human brain were so simple that we could understand it, we would be so simple that we wouldn't.

Emerson Pugh

My blog:
http://roiben-losttime.blogspot.com

Old 16-06-2011, 06:52 PM   #16
SadGirl55

Does your inhaler get rid of your having a hard time breathing cause of the panic attack??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hezz View Post
I can't really tell. The only indication I have is the circumstances and whether the inhaler helps.

If I lose feeling in my hands or feet, or get pins and needles in my jaw, I know it's a panic attack but the trouble breathing always hits first and it feels like bad asthma, so I take the inhaler.

But no, I can never tell as soon as it starts if it's panic or asthma causing it.

Old 16-06-2011, 07:40 PM   #17
MissAnonymous

I am currently:

If the cause of the sensation of not being able to breathe is purely panic then inhalers wont 'work'. They will however still dilate the airways [that being the action of the inhaled medicine], but it wont make the panic induced breathing feel better.

Hope that makes sense.

Old 16-06-2011, 08:53 PM   #18
Hezz

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by roiben View Post
I would advise speaking to your GP about this - especially if your asthma/anxiety has been worse recently and you are using the inhaler more frequently.

Do you have a daily inhaler, as well as the one you use when you have an attack? If not, it may be that this is a good idea.

Roiben x
I have a daily (orange) one and a 'every 2 hours if needed' (blue) one, plus the antihistamines and nose spray so my allergies don't make my asthma play up too much. My mother refuses to acknowledge my asthma so I'm not allowed to go to the asthma nurse. In fact, she may have discharged me.

I tend to avoid using my inhaler if I'm honest, because I've never got a Theraputic Use Exception Form from my GP which allows me to use it and compete in sport.

Quote:
Does your inhaler get rid of your having a hard time breathing cause of the panic attack??
After what feels like the billionth time, yes it helps. But it doesn't help in the recommended dosage. I've always just taken more than I should of it if I'm having a panic attack.

Publius Syrus

Old 16-06-2011, 09:49 PM   #19
offlineforever
Left RYL

Not being funny, but noticed you are 18, so your health care doesn't really have anything to do with you mother, if you want to see the asthma nurse you should do

Left.

Old 19-06-2011, 10:28 PM   #20
Hezz

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ytak View Post
Not being funny, but noticed you are 18, so your health care doesn't really have anything to do with you mother, if you want to see the asthma nurse you should do
I know I'm 18, but my mother would know if I went, and would not like that at all. Knowing her, she would cancel the appointment on my behalf -_-

Publius Syrus

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)