RYL Forums

View Poll Results: Do you enjoy using phones to make calls?
Yes, I love making/receiving calls. 4 5.71%
It's ok, I do it because I have to. 16 22.86%
Nah, I hate making/receiving calls. 38 54.29%
Llamas. 12 17.14%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 12-05-2013, 08:46 AM   #21
FabulousMike
Proud Union Activist.

I am currently:

Good to see i'm not the only one hating using phones!

It's even worse when you have to phone up asking for things.

I remember once, I was on the phone to my union asking for a supply of leaflets, but the lady on the other end couldn't understand me (I think my speech problems were worse than normal that day) and everytime she said 'what' I would panic more, I ended up just hanging up on her, rather rude, I know.

FabulousMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 09:30 PM   #22
Imperfect.Star

I hate phones.
I use them at work because there's no choice and because I have a specific reason for calling which I can prepare for. If I get bleeped I answer quickly without thinking too hard about it because it might be an emergency.
I'll talk to my mum on the phone but really try hard to avoid anyone else unless it's really not possible.

Always seem to get things just that little bit wrong.

"don't wish, don't start, wishing only wounds the heart"

Imperfect.Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 09:38 PM   #23
forever_lost

I am currently:

I'm alright with phones, especially when I'm talking to someone I know, like friends and family, it's no big deal. Same as talking to them in person I feel like. Texting is just usually more convenient unless it's urgent. And I use the phone like all day during my summer job to talk to strangers, helping them, answering questions, taking messages, blah blah. I don't mind that...as long as I'm the receiver of the call. I hate actually calling strangers or acquaintances about things. Probably because it takes more confidence since I'm the one starting the conversation I guess, and what if it's a dumb question or something. In that case, I often write down what I plan to say so I don't choke up lol. When I'm nervous on the phone, I hate that my voice can end up sounding either overly nice/cheery or like a little girl. I also prefer IMing for any sort of tech support or customer service whenever possible. Too many awkward silences while waiting (or sitting on hold) and accents I don't understand. If I have to call, I actually prefer automated machines over real people most of the time. I'm always scared I'll get asked a question I don't know the answer to, but need to and should, and the whole "this call may be recorded for blah blah purposes" freaks me out a little. Too much pressure!

Last edited by forever_lost : 12-05-2013 at 10:01 PM.

Giving up doesn't always mean you're weak.
Sometimes it just means you're strong enough to let go.
"But it's the truth even if it didn't happen."

forever_lost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 10:19 PM   #24
Sefka

I am currently:

I chose Llamas. Llamas are great.

I feel the same way about making/receiving phone calls as I feel about putting on socks. I never knew so many people disliked phones so much.

Каждому, каждому в лучшее верится,
Катится, катится голубой вагон!

Sefka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2013, 01:28 AM   #25
nowhereman

I am currently:

Im a compulsive texter. I hate calls.

nowhereman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2013, 08:37 AM   #26
Accidentally Abstract
Luce.

I am currently:

I used to really hate it & now I'm okay with it. When I started my current job it took them three days to get me to make a phone call, but since then I've got much more used to it & now don't really mind so much. I hate leaving voicemails though & try to avoid it where possible!

Ride it out.
"I need a sunrise in the dark."

Accidentally Abstract is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2013, 12:19 PM   #27
LonelyGuy

I am currently:

IF someone who I know calls me, I'm okay with that. It's very rare that I make outgoing calls unless I really have to. If I have to call a business like utility suppliers, I don't call said company, I send them email instead as it saves me having to talk to anyone.
I'm happy with text messages and messenger apps like WhatsApp and MessageMe, but when it comes to calls, well that can leave me shaking like a leaf.

Trying to find myself again.

LonelyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2013, 12:33 PM   #28
Faulty item

If its someone i know or expecting i will answer , 1471 and find out who called . Usually not bothered a lot its either mother social worker , i better find something to do soon im getting down i can sense its close. Got a few bob so could go out for a pint but not really in the mood. I dont half wander off tangent this thread is about phonecalls i'd like to know what happens afer death? Such a happy chappy i have managed to cut my front grass with my strimmer so theres the shame gone of looking at the nosey bastard women next door cutting hers if it grows a millimetre.

Faulty item is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2013, 12:44 PM   #29
PaperKlip

I am currently:

I hate phones and always email instead except whenever I email my landlord she will always call and refuses to email. She always calls, and has a thick accent I can't understand. Grrr.

Emails are better as you then have a paper trail of what has been said.

You start life with a clean slate. Then you begin to make your mark. You face decisions, make choices. You keep moving forward. But sooner or later there comes a time where you look back over where you have been and wonder who you really are.

PaperKlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2013, 01:28 PM   #30
Eccentrics
Occasionally lurking

I am currently:

I'm okay with my mum / other people I'm close to, but anybody else is a no-go.

Eccentrics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2013, 02:35 PM   #31
offlineforever
Left RYL

I didn't chose llamas, they chose me!

I hate ringing people. But will do it if I have to.

Left.

offlineforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2013, 10:11 PM   #32
The One Who

I am currently:

I think a lot of people hype themselves up about using a phone, when if they actually just note down what they want to say, take a deep breath and do it, they realise it's really not that bad. It's so much easier to phone someone and get something done than e-mail them.

The One Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2013, 12:11 AM   #33
DontLookUp
Saffyx

I am currently:

I love whatsapp.
A lot of the time i cant be bothered to talk on the phone tbh.
Sometimes also i know a call with a friend will last aggeess so i dont want to speak.
And when im calling or speaking to people i dont know i hate it cause i can get pretty anxious :S although im better at it now then i was!

♥ .I'm going to fall like I don't need saving. ♥
...My smile's just the armour I built when I was alone...

There was some part of me that hurt so badly, that I wouldn't ever be able to forget it.
It faded but the memories could bring it back any second, keeping me in the moment.
It would never fully heal. I could never really be free. I could never really be fixed.
Now I just have to work out how to live whilst being broken.
I feel like I'm dying.

DontLookUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2013, 03:33 AM   #34
akita

I am currently:

I don't mind making phone calls but prefer to make them alone, as in a room by myself.

I understand how people can have phone phobias.

akita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2013, 10:39 AM   #35
trechu
Perfectly Imperfect

I am currently:

I'm ok with receiving them. Making them makes me anxious - I often persuade other people to make calls for me (had to get my mother to call the electricity company a while ago, and they needed to speak to me to confirm my mother could speak to them. I literally cried down the phone while giving them permission because I was so anxious)

~R

trechu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2013, 10:51 AM   #36
Buttons.
Never knowing...a helping hand or hell to pay?

I am currently:

It's a bit convoluted, I have more of a fear of texts than phone calls because I can't see the other person's reaction and if they don't reply I tend to get overly dramatic like OH MY GOSH THEY HATE ME or SOMETHING TERRIBLE HAS HAPPENED TO THEM blah blah blah.

But although normally absolutely fine with phone calls (despite similar anxiety of not being able to see a person's reaction to what I am saying) every now and then I just get stupidly anxious for no apparent reason and severely resent having to answer the phone.

Regardless though, when talking to anyone official in any capacity I freak out, be it doctors' appointments, money stuff, whatever, if it's official it freaks me out (this is where my legend of a CPN comes in handy).

Yeah. Summation. I'm odd.

'Never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you.'

['There is only one thing we say to death. Not today'.']

'We are each our own devil, and we make this world our hell.’ – Oscar Wilde
‘It’s hard to dance with the devil on your back.’ Sydney Carter

Buttons. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2013, 11:49 AM   #37
RAWWR

I am currently:

Llamas.
But no, seriously, I HATE making phone calls, I can just about manage phone calls to my partner, but otherwise no, I am getting better though, I just called the job centre..

RAWWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2013, 02:45 PM   #38
Tig

I only feel comfortable on the phone to my Mum really. Otherwise I definitely prefer texting etc.

Tig is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)