Live Help

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 05-10-2014, 11:37 AM   #1
Ballerina123
XXX

I am currently:
Pot belly on olanzapine

I've noticed that olanzapine gives me a pot belly.
I don't really eat that much and what I do eat is usually healthy. I'm only gained a tiny bit of weight on it but my belly sticks out, which it didn't before.

Does anyone know what this is? How can I combat it? Does it happen to anyone else?

The average,
well-adjusted adult
gets up at 7.30am feeling just plain terrible.

Call me Kate.

I have dyslexia so please excuse my poor spelling and sometimes poor understanding.

Ballerina123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 12:01 PM   #2
Arienette

I am currently:

Are you bloated?

Could it be gas build up maybe? or constipation? Are those side effects of olanzapine maybe?

Arienette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 02:37 PM   #3
Doikers
Louder Than God's Revolver and Twice as Shiny

I am currently:

This is happening to me too , I was told by my SW that it is nick-named 'Olanzapine-Belly' as it's such a common side effect , I got rid of mine in a really un-healthy way of crash dieting and exercising until I could hardly breathe then doing 10 more minutes but I really don't recommend you do that , could you voice your concerns to the Dr who gave you the perscription?

I'm still not comfortable in my skin and the anasthetic's slowly wearing thin - Otep
Everyones lost but me! - Indiana Jones

It's okay , they know me here .

Kahlia1981 is my adopted little sister :)

''Courage doesn't always roar , sometimes courage is that little voice at the end of the day that says I'll try again tomorrow"

Doikers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 05:55 PM   #4
EyelinerAndCigarettes

I am currently:

I find Olanzapine makes me really bloated/constipated & I get a pot belly from that.

x x x

EyelinerAndCigarettes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 09:03 PM   #5
sherlock holmes
do you like my potato?

I have a really bad pot belly. I don't take olanzapine, I'm on other meds, but mine is caused by severe bloating. I have irritable bowel syndrome which a lot of the time goes hand in hand with mental health problems (your gut is very sensitive to stress, emotions etc) and with it I also get badly constipated.

My doctor told me that the bloating could just be part of the IBS or it could be a food intolerance (common ones for bloating are wheat and dairy).

It might be good for you to get a blood test to rule out coealic disease (gluten allergy).

If you are bloated then drinking lots of water helps.

Personally I've find that exercise has no effect on my bloating.

Also you mention you've been eating really healthily- fruit and veg are bad culprits for bloating, and as they contain lots of fibre then a sudden increase in fibre will make you bloated. Also fermentable foods will make you bloated, things like beans, lentils, pulses, certain fruits and vegetables.

It's a bit of a nightmare finding out what causes it really.

Isn’t it funny how day by day nothing changes but when you look back, everything is different…

you once called your brain a hard drive, well say hello to the virus.

sherlock holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 09:53 PM   #6
Ballerina123
XXX

I am currently:

good to know Im not the only one.
my friend and I call it an olanz-a-belly.
Im gonna keep up with the healthy eating for a month or so and see how my belly is.
After a month I may be able to lower the dose anyway.

Ive had a test for coealic disease. It was negative and I dont have IBS or constipation.
Im wondering if its water retention? maybe?

The average,
well-adjusted adult

Call me Kate.

I have dyslexia so please excuse my poor spelling and sometimes poor understanding.

Old 07-10-2014, 02:04 AM   #7
Patch.
Taylor

I am currently:

I get this with another antipsychotic. I was going to suggest constipation as that's quite a common side effect with APs.

I don't really have anything useful to add accept I really do understand how annoying it is x

How can the light that burned so brightly
Suddenly burn so pale?

Patch. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 07:26 PM   #8
MissAnonymous

I am currently:

With healthy eating try and make small changes at a time, changes in diet can make bloating loads worse so don't be thinking your not eating healthily because your bloated cos fruit and veg can bloat some people too.

MissAnonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 09:17 PM   #9
consequential

I put on savage weight from meds, I don't have a pot belly, I have obese flab sticking out on my stomach and above it. No matter what I eat and even with exercising it's no good. You just sound bloated, but that medication is the worst for weight gain but luckily you don't have that. Have you tried sit ups?

It became like a sort of prison. Encased in a silver shell, words so full of bleeding need spilled like drops on dry leaves. And all the while laughter prevailed a long way from here. Nowhere land, nowhere time, nowhere space.

consequential is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 10:15 PM   #10
random.swirls
Head forum moderator

I am currently:

I've noticed a huge correlation between pot bellies and psych meds

When we lose twenty pounds... we may be losing the twenty best pounds we have! We may be losing the pounds that contain our genius, our humanity, our love and honesty. ~Woody Allen
Is a chocolate muffin loving glitter ball

random.swirls is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 11:53 PM   #11
consequential

Everyone in the hospital had weight on their stomachs from the meds, it goes on there first I would think. Very few were slim.

It became like a sort of prison. Encased in a silver shell, words so full of bleeding need spilled like drops on dry leaves. And all the while laughter prevailed a long way from here. Nowhere land, nowhere time, nowhere space.

Old 08-10-2014, 07:59 PM   #12
Sneckie
RYL First Aid Advisor

I am currently:

I saw my psych today he told me olanzapine is famous for putting weight onto woman in particular really fast. He said its common to go up as much as 2 clothes sizes in a month.

Many of us spend our whole lives running from feeling with the mistaken belief that you cannot bear the pain. But you have already borne the pain. What you have not done is feel all you are beyond that pain."

Kahlil Gibran

Sneckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 12:46 PM   #13
Steel Maiden
There is no place like 127.0.0.1

Olanzapine causes preference for abdominal fat distribution. It also changes metabolism to preferentially put on fat stores rather than burn them all up. I put on 2 clothes sizes on Olanzapine.

PM me if you want a PDF copy of the ICD-10 or the Mental Health Act 1983/2007. I ALSO HAVE THE DSM-V BOOK and am a pharmacology student.

I have a visual impairment / neurological problems so I need people to type in clear text and no funny fonts. Also excuse any typos, my vision blocks things out.
I have autism and have problems communicating, PMs included.
Just becasue I type well doesn't mean I speak well. I am only part time verbal.

Steel Maiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 04:57 PM   #14
[Luna]

I am currently:

I have had this experience with a lot of anti-psychotics. I have put on a lot of weight on my stomach and get bloated/constipated a lot!
I found exercise the most effective tool to reducing the belly fat.
It's comforting to hear that meds affect others in this way too xx

[Luna] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 07:33 PM   #15
Ballerina123
XXX

I am currently:

Thansk guys. I have been eating really healthy and it has helped a lot with the bloating and weight gain.
I plan to start exercising soon once I get a guy subscription.

The average,
well-adjusted adult

Call me Kate.

Old 11-10-2014, 12:47 AM   #16
consequential

Don't know what that is but good luck. i can't seem to lose weight, I am afraid to try to fit on my graduation dress. I walk every day and cut down on eating but it's not working.

Old 14-11-2014, 07:38 PM   #17
Arienette

I am currently:

I'm on olanzapine now and remembered this thread.

I have got a pot belly and it's making me feel very self conscious. And normally before my stomach was OK. I only just started to feel confident with my body, and now I have a pot belly. I don't mind the weight gain but wish it would go to other places as well.

I'm going to start exercising properly - i.e. i'm devising a plan tonight to hopefully feel a little better about myself.

*hurrumph!*

Old 14-11-2014, 07:47 PM   #18
Ballerina123
XXX

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopia View Post
I'm on olanzapine now and remembered this thread.

I have got a pot belly and it's making me feel very self conscious. And normally before my stomach was OK. I only just started to feel confident with my body, and now I have a pot belly. I don't mind the weight gain but wish it would go to other places as well.

I'm going to start exercising properly - i.e. i'm devising a plan tonight to hopefully feel a little better about myself.

*hurrumph!*
Lol bit of a zombie thread but yea I'm still having a problem with this but trying to let it go because I'm not overweight or anything so that "should" mean I'm ok I rekon.

Plus I'm my birthday photos the belly didn't show up so im pleased with that :)

The average,
well-adjusted adult

Call me Kate.

Old 15-11-2014, 01:54 AM   #19
Arienette

I am currently:

Quote:
Plus I'm my birthday photos the belly didn't show up so im pleased with that :)
true i didn't notice it at all. maybe mine isn't that noticeable and I'm just freaking out a little. i've set an upper limit which is quite a lot above my natural weight, but still healthy where i will draw the line. i spoke to gf about it and she agreed thats sensible: is that fair enough do you think?

Quote:
Lol bit of a zombie thread
i didn't feel like making a new thread for the same thing again. :p

Old 15-11-2014, 01:56 PM   #20
Arienette

I am currently:

I think i was constipated. I went to the toilet last night and woke up and I'm all back to normal. *yay*

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)