RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 14-07-2013, 02:14 PM   #21
BridgesAndBalloons
A Thimblesworth of Milky Moon

As others have said, it's not weird at all to not want a relationship or babies. I think sometimes some people find people odd who don't fit into social norms, but I think that's more based on their desire to put people into boxes rather than anything being strange about not wanting a relationship or children.

Personally, I'm in a relationship and would like to get married but don't wish to, and have never wished to, have children. I don't consider myself to be selfish, I like to look after people close to me, I just don't want kids.

BridgesAndBalloons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2013, 02:14 PM   #22
caz23

Wow, some great responses here, thanks people :)

I totally agree that many people are keen to adhere to social norms and just do what essentially everyone else does. Conversely, I also wholly accept that people very often do get married or have kids because it's what they want, and not what society instructs them to do. Some folks/couples, however, don't seem to be able to accept that you genuinely don't want to have a partner/get married, squeeze something the size of a watermelon out of your lady bits and then proceed to work your arse off to provide for it for the next 18 years, or possibly even more. I'll be pushing 50 in 18 years time - I want to enjoy myself now while I still have youth on my side, not change shitty nappies!

Also, you will have to share your bed with someone who will probably snore and fart the whole night through, slap you in the chops several times as they wriggle around, pester you for morning sex after keeping you awake half the night with the said snoring and farting, and you'll more than likely do all of their washing and ironing for them as well as holiding down a full time job and clearing up after the kids. **** that! I can't stand sharing my bed let alone my house! A guy I am seeing on a casual basis stayed over at mine on saturday night, and (shortly after I had finished with him!) I literally had a tantrum and went and slept on the sofa because he was getting on my nerves, just by being there basically.

Personally, I find the whole concept of getting married these days a little pointless and a waste of (a lot) of money. If I was intent on spending potentially tens of thousands of pounds, I would invest it or travel the world or do something equally worthwhile and exciting. And to be honest, I am also somewhat repulsed by the thought of being pregnant, and can't help but think of it as a parasite using your body as a host. Many of my friends have kids or are currently trying or expecting, and I can't doubt that they are happy, and I really do love to see them so happy. But it doesn't make me want kids myself, not one little bit. This is just my point of view, and I do not expect everyone to share it, but I do wish that certain people would at least accept it. In all fairness many people are understanding of my choice to be single, but you get the odd one who either seems to feel sorry for you, or can't quite believe that you can be single, childless and content.

A friend of mine who lives with her partner recently commented on how she was envious of the fact that I can come home after work, kick off my shoes at the front door and just do whatever I want. None of this "what do you want for tea" malarkey. And I love that. If I want company, I can arrange to go out with friends, or invite them over for a meal and some drinks. But if I want to be alone, then I just lock the door and snuggle up on the sofa with my fab little dog, and to me, that is bliss. I also love having the freedom to bugger off for a last minute weekend break, or jet off for a three week holiday if I want to. No compromising, I just save my money and then go. Hmm, and there's another point - my money goes into my account and is put away as savings or spent on what I need or want. Selfish, I know, and I am far from being a scrooge, but I don't want to have to spend my hard earned cash on buying new shoes for the kids... I want new shoes!

Anyway, If there's one thing I have learned through having a history of severe depression, it's that life is short and precious, it doesn't always treat you well, but it's still precious. Grab it with both hands and squeeze every last drop out of it. I am way too content with many aspects of life at present to go throwing it all away for the sake of pleasing society. If people want to be sheep and follow the norm, let them! I, on the other hand, am planning a trip to Thailand and Malaysia... because I bloody well can!

Ahhh, I do love a good long rant!! Thank again for all of the great responses

Last edited by caz23 : 17-07-2013 at 02:52 PM.
caz23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2013, 04:41 AM   #23
nowhereman

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by in a bad way View Post
Hi nikki

Don't be so down on yourself.

Plus you're in a band, that makes you immediately sexy surely xx
Lol I dunno about that, but thanks.

Caz, that's another point. Why would I spend so much of my money on a wedding? I mean when I marry Bill from Tokio Hotel, well he has money so he can pay for it, but if some not so rich guy wanted to marry me, what a waste of money. And as for babies, well there's no way I can afford them. I spend enough on my brother's kids, never mind if I had my own. And in my last relationship, he never had money so I had to buy him everything. Well **** that! My money is my own, not to spend on some guy.

nowhereman is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)