RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-02-2009, 07:59 PM   #1
Feel_Good_inc.
I am a leaf on the wind; watch how I soar

I am currently:
has this place changed so much?

I keep seeing threads where people say that they say that RYL has changed a lot. It's the reason why a lot of people of have left.
I've been coming here a long time and I've contributed to many threads. And started a couple of my own. But I'm just seeing the same place I've always been going to.
How exactly has this place changed?

Don't be fooled by my smooth skin. The deepest scars are the ones unseen.
Remember compliments you received, forget the insults. If you succeed in doing this, tell me how..~ Baz Lurhman.
Letting it get to you - You know what that's called? Being alive. Best thing there is. Being alive right now that's all that counts. ~ Doctor Who "The Doctors Wife"
06.November.2011

Feel_Good_inc. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 08:01 PM   #2
_plastic

I feel it's still the same I donno ...

A little angel fell into my arms at the 7th of december 2010
xx Angel my babysisterxx

_plastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 08:03 PM   #3
whirlpools

don't know, i've only been here eight months.
i'd never have joined a community called "Ruin Your Life" though. even when i was really messed up.

whirlpools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 08:04 PM   #4
Popple

I think its more the people have changed..
But yeah it has in some ways but that doesn't mean its a bad thing in a lot of ways I think it has changed for the better because it reaches more people and can help alot more people.
But yes I would say these days it does seem to try and bubble wrap everything a lot more which can be a bit frustrating at time buts thats life isn't itnothing stays the same forever and this place has to adapt to accomdate how many members there are and stuff

You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are.

Popple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 08:10 PM   #5
ceiron

I am currently:

people mature and change, forums are the people that make it up, so they do change a bit

ceiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 08:18 PM   #6
Lou Lou
hell on high heels

I am currently:

I think places like these will change. As more people join and other's leave it won't be the same place to some any more.

I think it's more noticable to those who have left and come back. To those who have stayed it probably happens so gradually that they don't really see the change.

People who have been here a long time are likely to have matured and either progressed in their recovery or have a different grasp on their illness, then along comes new members who are likely to be younger and possibly new to their illness. I think this can grate slightly on people.

Some people just don't like change or are more sensitive towards it, other people can grow with the change. I think it totally depends on the person.

When the world says give up
Hope whispers try one more time

Lou Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 08:23 PM   #7
Sharloid.

I am currently:

I joined in 2004. Back then it seemed everyone got on and knew each other. There weren't as many 'newbies' and weren't so many friendship groups.

Sharloid. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 08:25 PM   #8
Ginger_666

I am currently:

It's changed. I can't say exactly how or why it's changed but it has.
I use to be able to come one here, post replys or start my own threads, but now I feel like I can't. The only place I really feel I can post in is Ranting and Venting cos no one can really get mad at me in there.
It's sad, I use to love this place but when I needed it the most I had to stop coming.

Ginger_666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 08:34 PM   #9
sherlock holmes
do you like my potato?

It's changed a lot since the days of ruin and early recover.

The community was a lot smaller and everyone knew each other and this place had a really good atmosphere.

Now there's so many people and it's lost it's community feel. And there's loads of cliques and people being bitchy and sometimes it's harder to get support.

But things change.

Isn’t it funny how day by day nothing changes but when you look back, everything is different…

you once called your brain a hard drive, well say hello to the virus.

sherlock holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 08:38 PM   #10
Rawrk

I was thinking about this earlier.
I guess RYL is getting too bubble wrappy, and I tink someone in the other thread said what I thought.
but yeah.
i notice it a lot nowadays, especially when i go to post.

Old 02-02-2009, 08:40 PM   #11
Sometimes Crazy
Left.

It's changed since I've been around and I've only been here a year(ish).. but idk how to word it. It's just. Different.

So you found a girl
That thinks really deep thoughts
What's so amazing
About really deep thoughts?

Sometimes Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 08:44 PM   #12
claireyfairy
(`・ω・´)

I am currently:

everything changes, i'm not too bothered. this place is how it is, there's plenty of other places to go if you want real life. no point moaning about it.

[every beginning is also an end]

claireyfairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 08:47 PM   #13
Stellata

I've grown up emotionally. I've changed.
RYL has been one part of facilitating that change for me. Along with therapy, work, and so forth.

RYL has also changed. The community is more fluid, and there are more younger people joining.

Stellata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 09:00 PM   #14
squirrelspit

I am currently:

in 1999 or whenever ruin was, not everyone had a computer, and internet usage wasnt an every day thing like it is now. plus, RYL hadnt been advertised on tv and in newspapers so people would really have to look to find it.
There are people on this website now that are 12 years old... we didnt have a computer at home when i was that age.

RYL has changed, but times have changed too, everything is more bubble wrappy, and everyone is so scared about who might sue them that a lot of stuff has to be done on egg shells.

I guess Harley/RYL has to do a lot to keep its self safe from a legal point of view that its not always easy to allow the content that some people would prefer.

squirrelspit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 09:01 PM   #15
OutOfTheWoods11
I'll let you **** my soul, for a hit of that glow

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by em. View Post
yessssssssss! i think it's getting too overprotective and needs to be more real life and bring people back to reality.
i don't think anyone can recover until they start to realise that you won't always be protected like this site does. i just think an injection of real life is needed...
Please take a look at my proposal:

http://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum...51#post1398851

OutOfTheWoods11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 09:23 PM   #16
OutOfTheWoods11
I'll let you **** my soul, for a hit of that glow

I am currently:

I didn't mean it JUST as a place to rant, otherwise it would be a rather pointless suggestion when we have a ranting board (which people reply to via PMs sometimes)

Its more of an area of discussion for those who want to be realistic without infringing the saftey of other, more sensitive, members...

OutOfTheWoods11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 09:25 PM   #17
squirrelspit

I am currently:

i agree em.. i see so many threads with people moaning about things such as 'im 14 and my mum wont me smoke or stay out untill midnight' and everybody is scared to say 'well duh.. youre ****ing 14'

i saw a thread a while ago where someone said that she was 15 and her mum made her go to bed on a school night at 10pm or something, and someone actually replied and said 'thats well out of order, its practically abuse' and no body but me, i think, said anything about it at all.

i think its things like that that are more damaging than 'stop being such a spoilt dick, realise youre still a child and learn to respect your parents.'

i sounded like Jeremy Kyle in that last sentence.. score!!

squirrelspit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 09:27 PM   #18
Spoons

I am currently:

ive been here for three years now and it has changed, but some change is good.
obviously having far more people does effect the whole community vibe, but if more people are getting help and support i dont mind.

however, the only times i really feel the change is when i go to post something to get it out or get real advice when im completely messed up, im like ahh i cant say that, oh or that and it doesnt feel like im getting it all out if i have to censor half of what i want to say.

We are not our failures...

Spoons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 09:28 PM   #19
Popple

^ I do agree with that actually sometimes it does get ridiculous and then you see people trying to reply what everyone is thinking but they have to be careful how they say it or it sparks off an argument. People dont like hearing the truth sometimes

You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are.

Popple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 09:29 PM   #20
Heidi Tiger
Loon NOS

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirrelspit View Post
i agree em.. i see so many threads with people moaning about things such as 'im 14 and my mum wont me smoke or stay out untill midnight' and everybody is scared to say 'well duh.. youre ****ing 14'

i saw a thread a while ago where someone said that she was 15 and her mum made her go to bed on a school night at 10pm or something, and someone actually replied and said 'thats well out of order, its practically abuse'

i think its things like that that are more damaging than 'stop being such a spoilt dick, realise youre still a child and learn to respect your parents.'

i sounded like Jeremy Kyle in that last sentence.. score!!
Completely agree. I don't know wether it's because I'm getting older and more mature, or if some people generally have no clue. But some people I do want to pick up and shake them and point out just how much worse things could be!

Reality leaves a lot to the imagination

Heidi Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)