RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 02-05-2012, 11:36 AM   #81
makedamnsure

I am currently:

Unilever and proctor and gamble also own many food companies eg marmite, flora, ben and jerrys are all unilever. If you are boycotting the company due to their testing cosmetics on animals then do you also boycott their food, since that's still supplying money to the companies to allow them to test on animals?

The one thing this thread has made me do is want to look at the conditions our lab rats are kept in, but I do believe they are well cared for, better cared for than most animals that are raised for food.

Courtesy
Integrity
Perseverance
Self Control
Indomitable Spirit

makedamnsure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 11:46 AM   #82
Feel_Good_inc.
I am a leaf on the wind; watch how I soar

I am currently:

first of all I'm half rethinking the boycott now I've learned Unilever own ben and jerry's. That is a weakness of mine.
I suppose that come down to your personal choice. obviously they don't test ice cream on animals, so you could just boycott the cosmetics an they might see their cosmetics aren't selling well but the cosmetics of companies that don't test on animals are going up.
I'm going to have to think about that. I like Ben and Jerry's, and marmite those would be hard things to give up. But I want to be serious in my boycott.

Secondly, you raise rats for food?

Don't be fooled by my smooth skin. The deepest scars are the ones unseen.
Remember compliments you received, forget the insults. If you succeed in doing this, tell me how..~ Baz Lurhman.
Letting it get to you - You know what that's called? Being alive. Best thing there is. Being alive right now that's all that counts. ~ Doctor Who "The Doctors Wife"
06.November.2011

Feel_Good_inc. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 12:21 PM   #83
ferretmonster

if your feeding a snake you might,

ferretmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 01:54 PM   #84
Feel_Good_inc.

I am currently:

A point well made. But I would have thought it wouldn't cost too much to buy dead ones from a pet food shop or something.

Remember compliments you received, forget the insults. If you succeed in doing this, tell me how..~ Baz Lurhman.
Letting it get to you - You know what that's called? Being alive. Best thing there is. Being alive right now that's all that counts. ~ Doctor Who "The Doctors Wife"
06.November.2011

Old 02-05-2012, 04:10 PM   #85
The One Who

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feel_Good_inc. View Post
Secondly, you raise rats for food?
No, they mean they work in a lab that uses animals. These animals are kept in better conditions than most that are being reared for food. Unless I've got that totally wrong?

If you going to boycott both Unilever and P&G, you'll struggle to buy much, at least you'll be denying yourself most branded products. Between them they own about half the products on supermarket shelves.

The One Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 04:16 PM   #86
Bellatrix
Voldemort's Bitch

I am currently:

Quote:
A point well made. But I would have thought it wouldn't cost too much to buy dead ones from a pet food shop or something.
Most reptiles need to eat live insects and rodents.

Imperfection is underrated.

Bellatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 04:54 PM   #87
snailonvalium
*~manda~*

Quote:
Someone would still have to kill those.....

snailonvalium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 07:47 PM   #88
ferretmonster

its illegal as far as im aware to live feed in the uk, not that that has anything to do with anything lol

added: i have jut recieved the compasionate shopping guide by naturewatch, which is an interesting read so far and very useful

Last edited by ferretmonster : 02-05-2012 at 08:35 PM.

Old 02-05-2012, 09:22 PM   #89
snailonvalium
*~manda~*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretmonster View Post
its illegal as far as im aware to live feed in the uk, not that that has anything to do with anything lol

added: i have jut recieved the compasionate shopping guide by naturewatch, which is an interesting read so far and very useful
Invertabrates are ok to feed. Depends how far you expand the "animal cruelty" bracket. One persons pet can be another persons pet food...
Doesn't animal testing essentially boil down to animal cruelty?

snailonvalium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 09:34 PM   #90
ferretmonster

yes i understand this but i think as far as i know live feeding of anything other than bugs is illegal

i have to admit that i don't count bugs :? i know its not very nice

Old 02-05-2012, 11:47 PM   #91
Asura

Quote:
Originally Posted by snailonvalium View Post
Doesn't animal testing essentially boil down to animal cruelty?
Animal testing serves a greater good. It's necessary for (human) progress. Animal cruelty on the other hand is nothing more than pointless brutality.

Last edited by Asura : 03-05-2012 at 12:52 AM. Reason: derp

Nous avons abrité tous les rêves du monde,
Et c'est dans le soleil que nous avons grandi.

Asura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 12:10 AM   #92
Feel_Good_inc.

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The One Who View Post
No, they mean they work in a lab that uses animals. These animals are kept in better conditions than most that are being reared for food. Unless I've got that totally wrong?

If you going to boycott both Unilever and P&G, you'll struggle to buy much, at least you'll be denying yourself most branded products. Between them they own about half the products on supermarket shelves.
No, I think you got it totally right.
And you're right about them being everywhere. I looked around the local supermarket today. It's hard to find something they don't own.
I suppose food items are acceptable, they are pretty impossible to avoid, but I will still avoid stuff like cleaning products, toiletries and cosmetics by the companies as much as I can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellatrix View Post
Most reptiles need to eat live insects and rodents.
You're right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snailonvalium View Post
Someone would still have to kill those.....
Good point.

06.November.2011

Old 03-05-2012, 10:48 AM   #93
The One Who

I am currently:

Quote:
I suppose food items are acceptable, they are pretty impossible to avoid, but I will still avoid stuff like cleaning products, toiletries and cosmetics by the companies as much as I can.
Genuine question, do you eat meat or use any animal-derived product? If so, I seriously suggest to look in to the conditions some of these animals are kept in before going on a boycott of cosmetics.

It's not really giving out the same message if you say "Oh, but I like X product, therefore I'll not boycott the company, only their cosmetics (which probably aren't tested on animals in any case)." To me, a boycott is either all or nothing. Of course you can choose not to use certain product lines, but that's not really a boycott.

Old 03-05-2012, 10:59 AM   #94
Feel_Good_inc.

I am currently:

I do eat meat. I think that's fine because the animal has served a purpose, it died so I could eat.
And I do care about the conditions the animals are kept in while alive, I'll eat free range chicken, sustainably farmed fish, all that kind of thing. If it has had a good life before it's died then I'll eat it.

06.November.2011

Old 03-05-2012, 11:29 AM   #95
makedamnsure

I am currently:

Quote:
Yes exactly this, thank you.

Adam I suggest you research conditions animals are reared in and such, as suggested. As well as what goes on in the abbatoir (there was a recent case where staff were seen stubbing out cigarettes on a live pig - chickens still alive when their heads are removed etc)

Also eating free range chicken - great. Do you also ever eat chicken sandwiches from the supermarket, or chicken nuggets from McDonalds and wonder where that chicken meat comes from?

Its great to have morals, just unfortunately things are never as simple as they seem

Courtesy
Integrity
Perseverance
Self Control
Indomitable Spirit

makedamnsure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 11:40 AM   #96
Feel_Good_inc.

I am currently:

I do eat chicken sandwiches from places like greggs and have been known to buy burgers from mcdonalds.
I guess I never thought about those sources. mcdonalds say they use british beef, greggs use free range eggs to make their products, like the mayonnaise and such. I never really thought about how the animals might have been treated.
Stuff I get at supermarkets I always try and make sure it had a good life but I never thought about the convenience foods.

06.November.2011

Old 03-05-2012, 12:08 PM   #97
ferretmonster

things are never easy are they?

but i also think every little helps and it would be impossible for me tomorrow to wake up and say i am never going to buy anything ever again that is even remotely connected to animal cruelty.

i am going to start by reading this booklet have and trying to cut out as much as i can and build on it from there.

i already refuse to get pets and pet stuff from anywhere that sells animals because they are reared in mass breeding conditions (which is yet another thing you could add to the list)

Old 03-05-2012, 12:12 PM   #98
Ickybob
Sneezy McWheezy

I am currently:

I don't really use any cosmetic goods or anything. And with regards to toothpaste it's generally whatever is on offer at the time lol.

However I'm very aware that without animal testing with medication many of us wouldn't have the meds that we do, so it's a very hit and miss topic as to where to draw the line :-/

Ickybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 02:48 PM   #99
The One Who

I am currently:

Quote:
I do eat meat. I think that's fine because the animal has served a purpose, it died so I could eat.
And I do care about the conditions the animals are kept in while alive, I'll eat free range chicken, sustainably farmed fish, all that kind of thing. If it has had a good life before it's died then I'll eat it.
Animals that are helping with testing/research serve a purpose as well. They die so that we can get medication, or know that something is safe for human use. I agree that we shouldn't use them for cosmetic products though.

I seriously suggest you do some research into just what "free range" can mean when it comes to rearing chickens, especially for the large supermarkets. It can be as simple as chickens having access to a small outdoors area. Packing chickens onto the floor is just as bad as keeping them in cages. Fish farming also has its downsides and can, and does, harm other species. I'm not saying either of these farming methods are bad ideas, just that they are not idyllic as the marketing would like you to believe.

Old 03-05-2012, 11:55 PM   #100
Feel_Good_inc.

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The One Who View Post
Animals that are helping with testing/research serve a purpose as well. They die so that we can get medication, or know that something is safe for human use. I agree that we shouldn't use them for cosmetic products though.

I seriously suggest you do some research into just what "free range" can mean when it comes to rearing chickens, especially for the large supermarkets. It can be as simple as chickens having access to a small outdoors area. Packing chickens onto the floor is just as bad as keeping them in cages. Fish farming also has its downsides and can, and does, harm other species. I'm not saying either of these farming methods are bad ideas, just that they are not idyllic as the marketing would like you to believe.
In regards to medical research animal testing can't be avoided. finding out what a new medication does before humans try it is a lot different that finding out whether a moisturiser will irritate the skin or not. I'm no fan of animal testing but understand that for medicine, it must be done until some viable alternative can be found.
And it's not like they just make a drug and stick it in an animal. drugs and medicines go through a lot of testing and development long before they reach animals. animals aren't as much a part of the process as they used to be. Who knows, in another thirty years they might not be part of the process at all.

In regards to finding out what free range really means, I will do that. And see what I can do about taking mass reared foods that out of my life.
Right now though I'm concentrating on these companies which test on animals.
It's something to start with and build from.

Last edited by Feel_Good_inc. : 04-05-2012 at 12:01 AM.

06.November.2011

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)