RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 02-04-2019, 08:35 PM   #1
Sleepless123

I am currently:
MRI Head Scan

Hi 13 months ago I took a serious overdose. I was in ICU for 5 days and then spent a further 5 days recovering on another ward. Since leaving hospital last year I have been having difficulties with my memory. On Saturday I am having an MRI head scan to check for brain damage. I am posting as I am wondering if anyone has had an MRI head scan before and can explain what happens? Thanks

i do not always manage to be around but i wish you all the very best - love and luck to you all!

Sleepless123 is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Hugs Given By :
Old 02-04-2019, 08:46 PM   #2
nonperson

I am currently:

Hi, I've had an MRI scan of my head quite a few years ago now so my memory of it now is a little vague but I can remember most of it.

Do you know what an MRI machine looks like? It's quite large and looks a bit scary but it's not that bad and as it's only a head scan it is quite quick compared to a full body scan.

First I had to take anything metallic off, like my belt. Then in the room I had to lay on my back and they just slide your head into the machine. It is quite tight in there so I did feel a bit claustrophic but there was a little mirror inside that I could look at and see the room outside where the person doing the scan was. I think they could talk to me from there too and mostly likely you can talk back. It was quite noisy, lots of clicks and whirrs but was over fairly quickly.

Hope that's somewhat helpful to you.

nonperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 04:18 AM   #3
chinahorse

I am currently:

Hi I've had 2 and it's very much what np said.

The only thing id add is that they put little cushions by my ears then inflated them to keep my head still. They also put a wedge under my knees to keep me comfy.

I found that closing my eyes helped a lot with the claustrophobia. They also played the radio to me and give me count downs on how long things would take.

Given enough tea I could rule the world.

chinahorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 07:11 PM   #4
Sleepless123

I am currently:

Thank you for the replies and hugs - very helpful and much appreciated.

Just a note to those who know me from being on this site several
years ago - I’m sorry I haven’t managed to reply to your threads but I still read and care and wish you all well.

i do not always manage to be around but i wish you all the very best - love and luck to you all!

Sleepless123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)