RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 07-07-2018, 09:42 PM   #1
SadMonkey

I am currently:
Graphic - Help?

I've recently started self-harming again and it's escalating. Currently, I keep going over the same cut several times a day, can no longer pull the sides together and it's deep. I don't know how to leave it alone to heal, any suggestions? I feel like I've completely lost control of this

SadMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 12:09 AM   #2
nonperson

I am currently:

Maybe you should get it looked at by a doctor.

Would covering it up with a bandage stop you from messing with it further?

nonperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 09:08 AM   #3
SadMonkey

I am currently:

No, I really don't think it would as I am keeping it covered with a dressing, but keep pulling it off and making it worse :(

Old 08-07-2018, 09:18 AM   #4
nonperson

I am currently:

=/

Maybe you need to find a distraction that works then. What triggers you wanting to cut over it again? When you find yourself pulling off that dressing (or ideally before you get to that point) is there something you could go and do instead?

Old 08-07-2018, 09:45 AM   #5
SadMonkey

I am currently:

I don't really know, I feel like I don't understand any of this right now. Until recently self harming again, I've never kept going over the same cut and previously never been any worse than superficial

Old 08-07-2018, 09:56 AM   #6
nonperson

I am currently:

It is a hard thing to understand. My self harm is also not the same now as it has been previously so it's not an uncommon thing to happen.

But as it's got worse you need to try and stop it before it escallates. And you clearly want to because you've posted here for help and have recognised that it's a problem.

I think there's a thread here somewhere with a big list of distractions and there are apps you can use (Calm Harm is one) so that when you feel the urge it gives you lots of distractions to choose from until the urges pass.

Do you have family or friends or professionals you can talk to about this?

Old 08-07-2018, 10:59 AM   #7
SadMonkey

I am currently:

It's hard to explain, I don't feel ready to stop/leave this one alone, but I know it's reached the point where I need to if that makes sense?

I have got some amazing friends, one of which suggested posting on a forum to ask for some suggestions, although I've shut most of my friends out lately when it comes to how I'm currently feeling. A lot of my friends have a fair bit going on/very busy and so I then feel guilty putting more on to them.

Old 08-07-2018, 11:03 AM   #8
nonperson

I am currently:

It does make sense. It's a battle between rational and irrational minds.

I'm glad you have some really good friends. Do they confide in you with their problems? I'm sure they wouldn't mind if you opened up to them about how things really are. They can and will want to help! Could you go and see some of them today to keep yourself busy?

Old 09-07-2018, 06:39 PM   #9
SadMonkey

I am currently:

I keep battling between its ok, it's not actually that bad and being worried about it. I really don't know what to do or how to stop making it worse :(

Old 10-07-2018, 03:26 PM   #10
one_step_closer
The Shadow of the Day

You said you don't feel ready to leave this wound alone, can you think about what you're getting from aggravating the wound? Are there safer things you can do, for example if it's about the pain or perceiving damage or having something to focus on etc? Nonperson said about using dressings and I know you've said you keep taking them off, what can be more helpful is to use a dressing and then cover that with a wrap around bandage and lots of tape which can make it seem like a task to get it off and also I find that sometimes it makes me think that I shouldn't mess with the wound because having a bandage on it makes it seem more serious. It does sound like you're having a battle with yourself, I'm sure you can get through this though.

I put it down on paper and then the ghost does not ache so much.

Don't try to calm the storm, calm yourself, the storm will pass.

You didn't come this far just to come this far.

one_step_closer is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)