RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 10-04-2008, 01:29 AM   #1
cest.la.vie

I am currently:
Bought a book recently

[If this should be in reviews/recommendations I'll happily move it - I just thought it would reach a better 'target audience' here, if that makes sense]

It's called 'The Anorexia Workbook' by Michelle Heffner and Georg Eifert, and it focuses on something I've never even heard of before, called ACT - Acceptance and Commitment Therapy

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Anorexia-Workbook-Suffering-Harbinger-Self-Help/dp/1572243627/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1207786894&sr=8-1

I got it through Amazon for about a fiver, and just thought I'd post the link because flicking through it, it seems really interesting and potentially helpful (appears to have a lot of examples showing how to apply it to situations), so thought it might be useful for anyone who's struggling/trying to recover.

[ramble]
I've only read the first bit, but I found this bit really interesting:
"This workbook is not about getting you to eat more... contains no guidelines or recommendations on how much you should eat or how much you should weigh. We believe you basically know all this because you have geard and read it a million times, so we will not bug or nag you about dietary requirements.
This workbook is not about getting rid of anorexia... [it] is about reclaiming your life... Ultimately, you are in control of what direction you want your life to take.... In ACT, weight gain is not the main focus of treatment. Eating is merely a means to a valued end. It is not the end or goal."
[/ramble]

Anyways, hope everyone's doing ok xxx

cest.la.vie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 11:27 AM   #2
snailonvalium
*~manda~*

ive heard of act therapy,my old t mentioed it to me a few years back.
so i looked into it,but couldnt find many people who'd "done" it.
the book looks interesting!
let us know how its going while youre working through it!
good luck
xx

snailonvalium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 12:15 PM   #3
random.swirls
Head forum moderator

I am currently:

I do love some of the self help books around and find that they are helpful to kickstart varying aspects e.g. when I am having a crud day.

Let us know how you get on with it

xoxox

When we lose twenty pounds... we may be losing the twenty best pounds we have! We may be losing the pounds that contain our genius, our humanity, our love and honesty. ~Woody Allen
Is a chocolate muffin loving glitter ball

random.swirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 10:39 AM   #4
-Tough-Cookie-
Life is a contradiction at times - as am I

I am currently:

I've got this book an its been really useful to me...though i havnt completed it <aviodance behaviour alert>

“Toughness is in the soul and spirit, not in muscles.”
----
----

-Tough-Cookie- is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)