RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply

Old 17-01-2008, 09:18 PM   #1
Misanthropic Girl

any thoughts? help me...please?

Right, so im applying to work in Tate liverpool BUT theres a huge section on a supporting statement . basically i have to say what makes me meet the job crietera using my work expericence and educational background.

Ive come up with a draft answer but im not sure if its any good. Since you lot are all brainy i thought id post it on here and see if anyone had any views on it

the job criiteria highlights the importance of providing 'high quality customer care...listening to their needs and responding with empathy.' it requires 'excellent communication and verbal skills' (which is why i need to get this statement right! and id be expected to have 'an intrest in art/work of the tate' and be able to 'research prepare and give talks on displays and exhibitions'

bearing all this i mind i came up with this ...

When I came across your advert in the local paper I knew it would be the perfect job for me. I was immediately attracted by the ad as I have had a passion for art, both contemporary and modern, for a number of years. I have tried to pursue this interest throughout my education.

I attained a distinction in GNVQ art and design intermediate, which covered a range of skills from animation; life drawing, art history and 3D design. I went on to complete A Level in Fine Art, which I loved every minute of! In the end my enthusiasm paid off and I got the mark I wanted.

Along side this I took an A/s Level in Contextual studies, which introduced me to the work of artists, and helped me to understand and appreciate the huge amount of art created throughout time and cultures. This meant I was often visiting different galleries (including the Tate Liverpool) and creating journals about those visits. I found my A Level in English Language and Literature very useful while completing the essays and presentations I produced for this course.

Since I’ve been working in retail I’ve found my training in counselling concepts really helpful. Along side more traditional teaching the course taught me how to listen effectively, as well as the importance of empathy and respect when dealing with a client. Through role-playing and giving group presentations It showed the importance of teamwork and how to be an effective part of a team in a real life setting.

I loved studying art while in college and I think I would love to be involved with art in the workplace too. The position seems ideal for me, as I’d get to mix dealing with people and my passion for art! I’d really like to play my part in aiding public understanding and appreciation of art, which I would find it very rewarding. I think I could become a valuable member of the Tate gallery team.

i know its long but they gave me two A4 pages to do it...
So yah if you actually read this well done you! please let me know if you have any ideas for improvement!

Old 17-01-2008, 09:59 PM   #2
Zedebee
It's okay not to be okay

I can't think of any ideas for improvement but /I must say I really like it. Very well said and and I think it's impresive

The only time you will find real light is when you're searching in the dark..

Zedebee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2008, 11:46 PM   #3
Dicky T

As Emily/Autosuggestion.

She's all gallery arty...thing. She'll know.

Dicky!

Old 18-01-2008, 12:51 AM   #4
gypsyroselee
a lack of colour.

I am currently:

it sounds pretty good.

maybe you could talk about some specific exhibitions or artists you like&why etc?

I roll over and hold on tightly, and whisper "If they want you, they're gonna have to fight me,"

gypsyroselee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2008, 02:29 PM   #5
joyous broken thing

I am currently:

that is a great personal statement thingy-me-bob, you obviously care a great deal about the things this job involves. let us know how it goes!good luck!! x

Everybody's someone else's freak,
Every cure is someone else's disease

~pm me anytime~

joyous broken thing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2008, 05:38 PM   #6
Ash*

I am currently:

Tate Liverpool
<3

I don't think I could possibly spend any more time there.

Anyway,what you've written seems pretty good to me!
Sorry,totally pointless reply.

Hope you get it though,I'd LOVE to work there.

"Watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely places. Those who don't believe in magic will never find it."

Ash* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2008, 05:43 PM   #7
Kangaroo
No, I'm Not An Aussie

I am currently:

Sounds good and I really hope you get the job. However I would make one change to what you have written.

On the finally paragraph take the "I think" out of the 1st sentence. Say that you would love to be involved with art in the workplace, dont say that you think you would.

Good Luck to you.

KANGAROO

I HAVE FAMILY - Blondiebear is my sister

Kangaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2008, 06:51 PM   #8
invisiblegirl
I am myself; that is not enough

I am currently:

something you might want to do with this, is tell them why you think your qualifications will be useful for the job.
"i believe that with the knowledge i have gained from my gnvq and a levels will better equip me to serve customers because i can be more empathetic to their needs."

these are the screams within...

...these are the life streams bleeding from skin.
*needing answers *needing love *needing acceptance *needing strength *needing commitment *needing forgiveness *needing compassion *needing understanding *needing someone to never let me go *needing God.

invisiblegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2008, 06:53 PM   #9
invisiblegirl
I am myself; that is not enough

I am currently:

another good idea is to think about what type of art is very common in the tate liverpool and express a deep joy for that type of art.

this reminds me of writing my personal statement- fun fun fun.
good luck i'm sure they'll love you x

these are the screams within...

...these are the life streams bleeding from skin.
*needing answers *needing love *needing acceptance *needing strength *needing commitment *needing forgiveness *needing compassion *needing understanding *needing someone to never let me go *needing God.

invisiblegirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)