RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 24-08-2009, 09:32 PM   #1
Leekinz

Mildly Triggering (ED) - Eating Boredom?

Heya RYL, Im currently experiencing a problem about my eating habits.

Well for a while now i've been eating complete and utter crap, I wont state what due to some rules. But it's very high in ******** and ***, I think it's either cause by boredom or just plain sadness. I know im sad and I eat for that reason, and im sad because I eat so it's a recurring circle. I need to sort myself out and excersize more but before I do those things I need to sort this out. Any suggestions on how to keep me occupied? or just to stop me eating, every 2-5 minutes.

/Lee

Last edited by Leekinz : 24-08-2009 at 10:10 PM.

"When god gives you oranges, make lemonade then let them wonder, how the hell you did it!"

Leekinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2009, 11:23 PM   #2
Snow White.
I am a fairy.

I am currently:

Hey Lee,

I know how you feel and I experience the same thing. Well done on recognising the problem because that is the first important step to solving it!

If you are eating because you are sad, then finding out why you are sad and trying to ease that sadness/stress is a good idea. Also, recognising that eating doesn't solve the sadness and almost always ends in making it worse. A counsellor recently said to me "okay, so if you're sad you have to options. you can eat, or you can do something else like go for a walk. if you eat, you're basically guaranteeing sadness. does exercise ever make you sad? [no] then you're guaranteeing that you won't continue to feel sad if you do that instead" and it does help me think it through a bit more.

Exercise is just one example, there are a lot of different things you can do when you're feelign sad to cheer you up that are much more likely to increase your mood than food will. I like to try and think of things that will comfort me (as, food is comfort for me) so things like a warm drink, cuddling a toy, chatting to friends, listen to good music - those sorts of distractions that can lift your mood while you're doing them are really good, and as they lift your mood should be natural reinforces of the behaviour. Similar to the way I've gone through binge reasons here, check point 4 (Complusive Over Eating / Binge Eating) (Binging is different t just eating often, but the general thoughts and stopping the eating could be worked through the same way)

I also spoke to my doctor about the problem and am getting referred to see a psychologist. A mental health professional might be another good step for you, to help create a plan about why you eat and then also what you can do instead, and how to deal with the thoughts too - a key part in it.

Alsssooo, sometimes when I am thinking (obsessing...) about getting more food i'll grab a piece of paper and write down the reasons I want the food, what I could do instead, what my thoughts are... basically a big mindmap for myself that sorts out the reasons behind my eating, writes down some other suggestions, and then I have the option to pick those. I often write how each outcome will make me feel, because I think it's really important to note that if you pick the eating outcome (as a cure to sadness) it rarely works. So when you write it like that, the choice can become a bit easier.

Don't give up, I think that's the main thing. Take small, baby steps and remember we're here for you.
I'm just running out the house now but if I think of anything else I'll be back - let us know how you're doing.

xxxxx

Snow White. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2009, 12:09 AM   #3
Leekinz

Thanks, It's like reading a book. I quite enjoyed reading it. Anyways... Normally I eat because my stomache is just an endless pit and never tells my brain when i'v ehad enough to eat, I don't know if there is a name for that but that's what happens, But I usually ride around on my bike quite a bit but because it's in repair I can't =[ Which limits to what I can do. I can't walk for long due to my feet being extremely bad. But I would ove to find out more about a physician, but I think that involves my GP but I don't know who that is... Or where he is... The fact that eating is also causing my teeth to rot is a pretty bad feeling because it's starting to cause toothache and such... But yeah I would love to know about things like this in Trowbridge but I wouldn't know where to start looking.

"When god gives you oranges, make lemonade then let them wonder, how the hell you did it!"

Old 25-08-2009, 12:13 AM   #4
rockaroni
Captain Rainbow!!!

I am currently:

While I don't have a lot to say at this moment in time, I want to say I completely sympathyze and know what you're going through with the comfort eating. I do the same, just the second I'm lonely or bored, all I can think about is food and getting it inside me.

*hug*
x

Wake me up before I change again
Remind me the story that I won't get insane
Tell me why it's always the same
Explain me the reason why I'm so much in pain.

rockaroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2009, 12:24 AM   #5
Leekinz

Thanks for the hug and reply :) I appreciate all the help you're giving me, I feel like going to get my Fishermans Pie (Was meant to be my dinner until I had something else) but im resisting :)

Old 25-08-2009, 12:37 AM   #6
rockaroni
Captain Rainbow!!!

I am currently:

I dont know how much it'll apply, but there's a COE/BED/Binging support thread in this fourm (ED board) which may be of some help (if more people start posting in it!) and the "More To Love" thread in general support and advice, which is more lighthearted, but intended for those of us who may be larger, or who have some eating issues.

Take care x

Old 25-08-2009, 12:41 AM   #7
Leekinz

I just read the COE and ED thread, I'll take a look at the More to Love. Thanks!

Old 25-08-2009, 01:24 AM   #8
wigeon
I kill threads!

I am currently:

Hey Leekinz,

Not really much advice but I know exactly how you feel. I'm caught up in the cycle, and it's so difficult to get out of it. I sometimes eat without realising it as well which is just a bad habit. I totally sympathise with eating when you're sad. I really do suggest some kind of counselling or therapy because even if you manage to stop the eating, your underlying reasons for why you do it are still going to be there and will manifest themselves into some other form.

Sending you many hugs of support, know that you're not alone. Finding other people that feel the same way has helped me come to terms with it and realise I have a problem.

xxxx

AMY.

You're not as messed up as you think you are,

Your self-absorption makes you messier.
Just settle down and you could feel a whole lot better,
Deep down, you're just like everybody else.

wigeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2009, 02:04 AM   #9
Leekinz

Quote:
Originally Posted by wigeon View Post
Hey Leekinz,

Not really much advice but I know exactly how you feel. I'm caught up in the cycle, and it's so difficult to get out of it. I sometimes eat without realising it as well which is just a bad habit. I totally sympathise with eating when you're sad. I really do suggest some kind of counselling or therapy because even if you manage to stop the eating, your underlying reasons for why you do it are still going to be there and will manifest themselves into some other form.

Sending you many hugs of support, know that you're not alone. Finding other people that feel the same way has helped me come to terms with it and realise I have a problem.

xxxx
Thanks for the hugs and support, Im currently researching on locations for theraputical circumstances around my area but so far no luck. I'll keep everyone updated on how i'm doing :)

Old 25-08-2009, 02:11 AM   #10
Leekinz

I can't find anything that doesn't charge money, :( I have no money and neither do my family... I need something like we had last time, It was free due to the council ordering it. Anyone able to help me?

Old 25-08-2009, 10:43 AM   #11
Psiren
Apathetic without the 'A'

I am currently:

I'm not sure where you live but if you're in the UK and go through your GP then they can refer you to treatment on the NHS which is free.
If you're outside of the UK I'm afraid I'll be of very little help though, sorry.

Sending lots of hugs your way. I'm afraid I'm crap with advice right now but I can sympathise with the binging and eating stuff that's full of crap.
Take care and my inbox is open if you ever want to talk x

Psiren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2009, 03:05 PM   #12
amethyst

Nearly every time I have binged I have been bored. It took me a while to realise that so it's good you have identified your trigger so it will be easier to do something about it.

Often very simple things will keep you occupied and will take your mind off food like reading a book, sorting things out, cleaning the house, going for a walk - all of which cost no money.

Not really sure what else to say, you have already got very good replies.

Take care of yourself :)

Old 25-08-2009, 04:17 PM   #13
wigeon
I kill threads!

I am currently:

Please excuse the stalking, but I read that you're from the UK. If you go to your GP and tell them all the problems you're having, they should be able to refer you to see someone who can help. Bear in mind that the NHS (especially CAMHS) can sometimes have a long waiting list, but unfortunately there's not a lot you can do about that. Once you do get to see someone it should get the ball rolling.

Let me know if you need anything, I'm always around for a message or pm if you need it :) xxx

AMY.

You're not as messed up as you think you are,

Your self-absorption makes you messier.
Just settle down and you could feel a whole lot better,
Deep down, you're just like everybody else.

wigeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2009, 07:11 PM   #14
Leekinz

Well, I like in UK in Trowbridge, Since we moved here from Warminster we changed GP's and Surgerys so I don't exactly where I would go.. I know where my surgery is so i'll try to go down there and find out some information.. Thanks for all the replies :)

Old 25-08-2009, 07:24 PM   #15
rockaroni
Captain Rainbow!!!

I am currently:

Your GP is pretty much always the first port of call. From there, they can refer you to whatever they feel you need, be it a dietician, counsellor, psych or for therapy like CBT. Good luck with it x

Old 26-08-2009, 02:31 AM   #16
Leekinz

I went searching around on Google for some stuff about BED and found this to be quite helpful.

http://www.helpguide.org/mental/bing...g_disorder.htm

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)