RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply

Old 14-09-2007, 10:22 AM   #1
x-Tinkerbell-x

Medication Question - Sertraline - new medication, anyone know if its any good?

I have been changed from citalopram 20mg to Sertraline 50mg just wondered if any one has experience of taking it and if there are any nasty side effects, when i took citalopram i used to get real tired and sick.

Cheers
Tinkerbell

Last edited by Bitter_Angel : 14-09-2007 at 11:37 AM. Reason: Changed title to get a better response rate.
Old 14-09-2007, 01:29 PM   #2
*Beth*
Beth

I am currently:

I've been on 100mg sertraline for about 18 months, and was on citalopram before that. I've not really experienced any side-effects, other than dizzy spells, but that's due to a medical condition i have which it can effect.

I think you'll find, the same with most other SSRI's, everyone has different experiences with it, and no two people get identical results or side-effects.

I hope it does help you though x

It's gonna take a long time to love

It's gonna take a lot to hold on

It's gonna be a long way to happy.

*Beth* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2007, 01:56 PM   #3
pixie*lyssie
Lyssie =) xx

I am currently:

I'm on sertraline and it's fine.

Someday I'll wish upon a star
and wake up
where the clouds are far behind me
Where troubles melt like lemon drops
away above the chimney tops
that's where you'll find me
http://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1002&dateline=1227381  259

pixie*lyssie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2007, 04:39 PM   #4
Hurting_Inside
No-one Hates Me More Than I Hate Myself

I am currently:

iv been on sertraline twice now and both times stopped it myself, the first time it worked and i was on it for ages them decided i didn wanna be on pills for the rest of my life so stopped it but was put back on it 2 months later an didn really give it time to work before i stopped it again

I Like Walking In The Rain
Coz No-one Knows I'm Crying
Behide This Smile Is Everything
You'll Never Understand.
Feel free to add me on msn

Hurting_Inside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2007, 01:08 AM   #5
Amadeus
Master of the long, rambling post.

My cousin is on Zoloft too, apparently it's "working" although I'm not exactly what for... Check out this page, http://www.crazymeds.org/zoloft.html

Everyone's crazy; some people just hide it better. I am not one of those people.

Amadeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2007, 08:28 PM   #6
Ivy
Working Through It

I am currently:

I've been on 200mgs ever since my suicide attempt in may, ha.... :/
I was on 100mgs when I attempted; I pretty much gave up because it wasn't working fast enough. (I had only been on it 2 weeks)
But it finally started working in the institution and I'm a lot more stable now.
Well, it's helped me in conjuction with trazodone.
I used to get very very tired because of sertaline, but now I don't get AS tired.
I get tired around midday now.

I hope we all find peace among the storm.

Ivy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2007, 08:38 PM   #7
~invisible~girl~

I've been on sertraline for like three weeks now and it's already helping a lot, with no side effects that I've noticed. My sister has been on it for ages, too, and she's also had it work really well with no significant side effects, although she does say it gives her heart burn if she takes it without food.

Just a side note though, others have mentioned not waiting long enough for it to work - like all SSRIs (and most other antidepressants as well) it usually takes at least 2-3 weeks to start working, and can take up to 5-6 weeks to get the full effect, so don't expect it to work right away or give up on it without waiting a few weeks.

Emily

(\__/)
(O.o )
(> < ) This Is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination.

~invisible~girl~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2007, 10:43 PM   #8
x-dying-inside-x
*Dan*

I am currently:

ive been on it seens xmas, it seemed ok when i was taking but i stopping taking t coz i didnt want it anymore.

" my precious, precious child, I love you and I would never, never leave you during your times of trials and suffering. When you see only one set of footprints it was then that I carried you" you were carried out of are lifes into the next and when its my time to leave this life I know i will be carried into the next life with you.
I wish i had my world complete again.
'Can we protend that airplanes in the night sky are like shooting stars, i could really use a wish right now' BoB

x-dying-inside-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2007, 06:54 PM   #9
pixie*lyssie
Lyssie =) xx

I am currently:

I am on Sertraline for bad OCD and major depression but originally OCD because my psych put me on it the second session I had with him because he told me straight away that I had obsessive compulsions. I had no idea so he said how would I feel with the help of some treatment. Meds (sertraline) and psychotherapy.

I have been on 200mg at my highest dose, and am currently on 150mg. I have been on sertraline for almost 3 years and I find it helps me with anxiety and obsessions/compulsions big time but it is the cause of my insomnia which I hate but it's not that bad when you are on a lower dose.

A friend of the family is also on sertraline for anxiety and she has been on it for about 8 years and told me that she finds it extremely hard to come off. In the sense of anxiety attacks, withdrawl etc.

I think you have got to reduce it very very carefully and slowly and dont come off too fast.

Someday I'll wish upon a star
and wake up
where the clouds are far behind me
Where troubles melt like lemon drops
away above the chimney tops
that's where you'll find me
http://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1002&dateline=1227381  259

pixie*lyssie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 12:21 PM   #10
metoyou

Please could someone advise me. I'm panicing. I've only taken one tablet of Sertraline, 50mg, and it's causing ALOT of fluid retention.

I know it will take my body time to get used to it, but I really can't bear it now.

Has anyone else had this problem? Did you persevere? Do the symptoms eventually fade away?

Please could anyone out there just give me a little reassurance.
Thanks

Always, metoyou.

metoyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 02:12 PM   #11
Amadeus
Master of the long, rambling post.

All I can tell you is that side effects suck, and you've got one that obviously sucks a lot. Side effects usually go away within a couple of weeks, a month at the most, and if they don't go away CHANGE MEDS (a lot of people don't seem to realize that there's a whole bunch of ones to try). But in your case....well, sticking it out is usually the only option, any AD takes a while to work so coming off of it immediately won't do anything to help what it should be helping.

So not very helpful I know, but good luck and try to stick with it, your doc wouldn't have prescribed it without a good reason (except for a few docs who truly have no idea what they're doing , but they're few and far between). Good luck.

Everyone's crazy; some people just hide it better. I am not one of those people.

Amadeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 06:10 PM   #12
Dramatic

Sertraline wouldn't have gotten into your system so quickly. A new anti-depressant takes around 2-3 weeks to properly get into your system. So it's not the anti-depressant causing the water retention hun.

I always advise anyone who's just started a new type of medication to give it atleast 3-4 weeks. It takes time to get into your system (as said above) and by the time it has gotten into your system, you need to give it a week or so to see how you get on with it.

I was on Sertraline for around 6-7 months. It's the only anti-depressant (so far) that i've been on long term. I found it..somewhat helpful to begin with, but i didn't get any benefits from it long term, that's just because it wasn't the right one for me and i've had to go onto a different "group" of anti-depressants.

Give it a go - you never know, you may find it helps immensly. I know of some people who have found it helpful. Goodluck x

Old 15-07-2008, 02:14 AM   #13
rock0rules

I am currently:

I've been on 50mg of zoloft for about 2 and a half years now.
I have noticed a little bit of heartburn if I take it on an empty stomach... and also I was taking another 50mg at night, but we cut that back and I started to only take it in the morning because I wasn't sleeping well. That seemed to help. =)
I am taking it with a conjunction of other meds though, so I'm not sure how much my experiences can help...

=The Brianat0r=

rock0rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2008, 03:55 AM   #14
TheOnlyOne
Poetry Whore

I am currently:

I take 75 mg of it. The only problem I have is if I miss a pill I get dizzy and I feel weird.

TheOnlyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2008, 10:56 PM   #15
tamobhuuta

i'm (meant) to be on 150mg, have been for a good few months now. i haven't found any effects, positive or negative, i don't think it's very strong as meds go.

Ying tong iddle ai po!

tamobhuuta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2008, 11:57 PM   #16
Starz*
My angel

I am currently:

i was on it for over 3yrs-no probs

Starz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 05:48 AM   #17
xmarine1974

I am currently:

I Think sertraline does nothing at all for my anxiety, been on 200mg for nearly 6months

xmarine1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 06:37 PM   #18
tweety pie 84
its one step forward and two steps back

I am currently:

been on it for almost a year now. at first i had the most horrendus side effects, such as severe restlessness, hallucinations, my throat literally burning thus knocking me sick. it was awful but then i switched brands and all of it went away. turns out it was something in it, or as my gp suggested to do with the absorbtion rate.

now i think it works. im on 150mg. i find my thoughts are a bit 'dull' sometimes but id rather be a bit dulled down than ill.

Take Care
Luv Caroline
xxx

tweety pie 84 is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)