RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-07-2013, 01:22 PM   #1
caz23

Pernicious Anemia/B12 and cognitive function

I have an autoimmune disease called pernicious anemia, which in a nutshell means that I physically cannot absorb vitamin B12 through my digestive tract. Trust me to have a retarded immune system!

Anyway, I have noticed over the past couple of years that I seem to be experiencing some sort of cognitive impairment, and feel as though my brain has slowed down. My short term memory is not the best i.e I sometimes forget where I walked the dog the previous morning, or what I had for dinner last night. Although this isn't at all troublesome, and my long term memory is pretty good in comparison.

What I have noticed more than anything however is that I feel less, well, intelligent I guess, not that I was ever a genius to begin with mind you. My spelling and grammar isn't quite as good as it used to be, and I have always had a fairly good vocabulary, but now I'm finding it difficult to verbally articulate myself on some ocassions. I'm finding this quite frustrating and to be frank, it makes me feel as though I'm a bloody moron.

I was just wondering whether anyone had any advice or knowledge they could share with me about the possibilty of PA/low B12 levels causing cognitive impairement. I have consulted professor google on the matter but most of the results were concerning geriatrics, and I'm not quite at that stage yet! I had previously thought that it might have had something to do with depression, but I'm pretty much recovered from that bar the odd blip, hence I'm questioning whether PA is the culprit. Or perhaps I just don't want to admit the fact that I am in fact a simpleton?!

Apologies for the random thread, and I will totally understand if noboby can offer any advice, but thanks for reading anyway.

Last edited by caz23 : 11-07-2013 at 02:28 PM.
caz23 is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Hugs Given By :
Old 10-07-2013, 10:44 PM   #2
TimesLikeThese

Hi, I can see this is troubling you at the moment but I'm afraid I don't have a great deal of advice other than maybe you should speak to your consultant/GP about it? It could be linked to the PA, it could be something completely different or it could be nothing to worry about, but you won't know until you voice your concerns with a doctor who will be able to advise you further.

Sorry I can't be more help. Take care xxx

TimesLikeThese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 11:34 AM   #3
caz23

Yeah, that would probably be the sensible option really wouldn't it! My GP has been managing it for me so I will make an effort to discuss it with her. I'm overdue for my B12 jab anyway so it might prompt me to actually make an appointment - I will admit to being a bit of a bad patient at the moment which probably isn't helping matters.

Thank you for replying, much appreciated :)

Old 11-07-2013, 07:50 PM   #4
caz23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash View Post
I have this! And can entirely sympathise. How often do you have your injections? Or are you on tablets?
PA is a bit sucky isn't it? You also have my sympathy! Apparently it's relatively rare for younger people to have it, my GP told me that there's something of a mini epidemic of it in my area amongst young women.

I'm supposed to have my injections every 8-10 weeks (I'm very lucky to have a sympathetic GP, many people aren't so fortunate I believe) but I have been a bit lax with them of late. I've been renovating a house and whatnot so I blame that! I personally don't find that the jabs make that much difference though to be honest, hence getting them more frequently than the recommended 12 weeks. How about you?

Old 11-07-2013, 09:37 PM   #5
Imperfect.Star

Yes, B12 deficiencies affect your nervous system and can affect cognition and memory. I would advise getting your levels checked asap because if left the effects can become permanent. (Wikipedia seems to have quite a good page on it)

Always seem to get things just that little bit wrong.

"don't wish, don't start, wishing only wounds the heart"

Imperfect.Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 10:22 PM   #6
caz23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperfect.Star View Post
Yes, B12 deficiencies affect your nervous system and can affect cognition and memory. I would advise getting your levels checked asap because if left the effects can become permanent.
Interestingly I haven't had my levels checked since I was diagnosed and commeneced treatment, regardless of the fact that I often remain sympomatic (mainly tiredness/lethargy) despite regular(ish) inflections. When I complained of this I was told that I would feel worse without the jabs I just assumed that they don't routinely check the levels so didn't bother asking. Anyway, thanks for the advice, will go and badger my GP about it!

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)