RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 15-04-2019, 10:10 PM   #1
usillygooseu

Question regarding long-term healing - self harm scars

Hello there. I'm new to this site and was hoping to reach out to anyone else who might be going through or has already gone through a similar situation as myself.

It has been a couple of months since my most recent scars healed over completely. Their depth means a long road to a full recovery. Help groups and therapy are going fantastic, and I'm hopeful I won't continue to make the same mistakes.
My scars extend from my wrists to my shoulders. Some completely healed years ago, some still healing. I can't help but notice the condition of my skin taking an odd turn. Scars (no matter how old) are covered in large pores that look similar to blackheads, and small white bumps that look so much like a pimple that I've tried to pop them. These 'blackheads and pimples' are on upper and lower arms and are always directly over the scar.

My question is: Has anyone experienced similar things on their scars? I dont know why it's concerning me so much, but it would put my mind at ease to know someone else is experiencing the same patterns.
Outside of my therapist, I don't actually talk openly about anything self-harm related. So, my questions and concerns just sort of fester in the back of my mind. Any help, please!

usillygooseu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2019, 02:15 PM   #2
one_step_closer
The Shadow of the Day

Hi, welcome to RYL. You would be better posting this in the self harm board because this is just for technical questions really but I have alerted the mods and they will move it for you, so you hopefully get more replies.

Well done with your recovery progress. I have some small blackhead/spot type things that clear stuff can come out of but these aren't confined to my scars. Are the spots a recent thing for you? I know you said you don't talk about self harm related things openly, but would you consider speaking to your GP if you are concerned about your skin?

I put it down on paper and then the ghost does not ache so much.

Don't try to calm the storm, calm yourself, the storm will pass.

You didn't come this far just to come this far.

one_step_closer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 08:59 AM   #3
Neoprenejoe

Congrats on your recovery :) I get then too, but usually right beside my scars. It might be the same thing, it might not. I find mine very irritating, but to bring the irritation down I personally find that aloe vera gel works for me. I doubt its a coincindence that I get them the worst when I use bandages or something to cover them up. I also find that they get larger and more irritated if I try to pop or scratch them, so if yours are like mine maybe try not to do that (I know, easier said than done) however my situation is much different than yours in the sense that I am not clean by more than 2 hours currently. Idk if that changes things or not though

Life can offer more than it does when you struggle

Neoprenejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 09:24 AM   #4
tamobhuuta

My sister has the same problem but I'm afraid she's yet to find a solution.

Well done on your recovery, keep going!

tamobhuuta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2019, 09:59 PM   #5
Koala hugs

I am currently:

Mine do it too my scars have the same thing with the spots they go then reappear on other scars I also get them s a reaction to anything adhesive which is inconvenient

Koala hugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2019, 10:49 PM   #6
LucyB93

I’ve been using bio oil and that has really helped

LucyB93 is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)