RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply

Old 28-06-2013, 03:56 PM   #1
tainted angel

I am currently:
Contains sexual abuse - How do I tell my boyfriend I want to write about my experiences?

It's been an interesting week. Memories from my past were stirred up, and my mood was low enough that - after several years away - I find myself back on RYL looking for guidance.

Even whilst going through my PTSD (caused by an attempted r*pe) I knew that I wanted to help others dealing with similar issues. Having now fully recovered from the 'PTSD hell' and been symptom free for a while now, I have been working to move on with my life and perhaps do some of the things the PTSD stopped me from doing - things like getting a degree, and following a real 'career path' (not just lurching from job to job).

With things being stirred up this week, for the first time in a long while I have tried to put 'pen to paper' about my own experiences, and - so far - it seems to be working (although I haven't written about any of the really bad stuff yet). The idea of writing a book terrifies (and excites) me, so I set up a blog instead, thinking I could ''just write'' (on the excellent advice of someone at RYL) and worry about a book later, if and when I decided to go that route.

I would publish under a 'pen name' and not tell my family, if I did write a book. But I would want my boyfriend to know, and the same about the blog, I want to tell him but I'm concerned he won't understand why I feel the need to write about the 'bad times' in my life, now that I/we finally have good times.

It doesn't help that I find talking very difficult at times, I am much better at the 'written word', whereas he finds it natural to chat really openly about things. I am considering showing him the ''About'' page I have drafted for the blog, or perhaps sending him a text saying I am thinking of writing a blog about it... what do you think, how would you approach this? Any help gratefully received!!

Courage is found in unlikely places — J.R.R. Tolkien

Nothing is written - T. E. Lawrence

If you're going through Hell, keep going – Winston Churchill

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible — T. E. Lawrence

tainted angel is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Hugs Given By :
Old 29-06-2013, 01:46 AM   #2
Patent Pending
★ Katie ★

I am currently:

I think it's geat you want to help other people with your experiences. It can be really cathartic to do so.

I'd just be honest with him, explain it helps you get closure and that you'd appreciate his understanding. Maybe show him the about page and maybe this post?

x x x

It's the ups and downs of living life this way. Promise me you'll never go away. Just stay with me through one more night because it's always darkest before the light and now I promise you I'll never turn away. I won't let you give us one less heart to break...

Patent Pending is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 06:11 PM   #3
Truth&OtherDisasters

I am currently:

I did the same.
He subscribed by my blog and read every post for a while.
He said it helped him understand me better, since even for thing I have told him, there are things that come out in writing about them that I haven't mentioned. Things that help him to understand more about how it was for me.
May be it will be a good thing.

Truth&OtherDisasters is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)