Live Help

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 21-08-2018, 02:54 PM   #1
hgyal

What to do when CBT is ineffective?

Iíve had a second consultation with the one psychological support service in my area and all they can offer me is online CBT or a CBT-based support group. I do not want to accept either of these as I know they will be more beneficial to others who might actually find CBT useful.

I have previously tried the online CBT for anxiety and it was so general I could not relate any of the modules to my life or the way I feel. I have gotten progressively worse since and it just doesnít seem like the relevant support is available for me in my area.

Ideally I would like to try counselling or any other form of talk therapy but it just doesnít seem like that is available to me? I feel at a loss with what to do which makes me feel quite unsafe. I have no idea what to do in order to get the support I need.

hgyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2018, 03:52 PM   #2
yoyogirl

I am currently:

For me personally i found cbt to be helpful for very mild problems and situations in life, like i applied the cbt to choosing between shoes that had nothing to do with depresssion + anxiety.

Have you ever confused a dream with life? Or stolen something when you have the cash? Have you ever been blue? Or thought your train moving while sitting still? Maybe I was just crazy. Maybe it was the 60's. Or maybe I was just a girl... interrupted.
I know what it's like to want to die. How it hurts to smile. How you try to fit in but you can't. How you hurt yourself on the outside to try to kill the thing on the inside. I tried groups, didn't work out just made my depression a lot worse.

yoyogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2018, 05:29 PM   #3
Straight 3

I am currently:

It will help along with overall therapy if you give it a change. Don't give up on it yet, it takes some patients. Didn't help with my depression but did for anxiety and social phobia.

Straight 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2018, 11:23 PM   #4
hgyal

Thank you both for your replies. It’s being offered so I think I will take it as a step towards recovery. Even if it isn’t particularly helpful in the bigger picture maybe it’ll help me with smaller issues and general anxiety stuff.

hgyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2018, 07:25 PM   #5
one_step_closer
The Shadow of the Day

I think that's a good stance to take. CBT can be a bit like a building block and future therapy can be made a bit more useful with that knowledge under your belt. Also I'd say face to face CBT is quite a bit different to online stuff. If you're just starting out with the psychological support service it's likely that they're trying to start you on a typical therapy and maybe they will know more about your needs after that and what else might be useful. Good luck.

I put it down on paper and then the ghost does not ache so much.

one_step_closer is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)