Live Help

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Closed Thread
Old 02-08-2015, 08:49 PM   #21
talaiporia
Chat Mod

I am currently:

I'm not sure if it is possible to bring someone back or if it just happens naturally. If it's possible then I'd imagine trying to make the person feel safer and going somewhere quiet might help.

I would be inclined to let it play out though, as it's often a way of coping with extreme stress so might do more harm than good to pull them out of it (unless they're likely to harm self while little).

It doesn't matter where you come from; it matters where you go.
No-one gets remembered for the things they didn't do.
We won't all be here this time next year,
so while you can take a picture of us.
We're definitely going to hell,
but we'll have all the best stories to tell.

Old 02-08-2015, 08:50 PM   #22
Isoverity

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi.R^2 View Post
*Jodie

The weed point felt somewhat incongruous with the other point so I wasn't completely following I'm afraid. Either way, I'll hope you'll take on board my reply and consider your responses to this thread.
Of course - I'm headed to the "what film are you watching" thread now ..

"Not all those who wander are lost" Tolkien

Old 02-08-2015, 08:53 PM   #23
talaiporia
Chat Mod

I am currently:

Also, I noticed hypnosis mentioned, and it's something I've considered. There are a few types - the regular one isn't especially evidence based, or shown to be effective.

There's clinical hypnosis which takes three forms I think (one of which is NLP) and the other clinical one is cognitive behavioural hypnosis - and it's supposed to be twice as effective as regular CBT. A friend of mine who's a doctor did a clinical hypnosis thing as part of his course and seemed pretty keen on it.

It doesn't matter where you come from; it matters where you go.
No-one gets remembered for the things they didn't do.
We won't all be here this time next year,
so while you can take a picture of us.
We're definitely going to hell,
but we'll have all the best stories to tell.

Old 02-08-2015, 09:07 PM   #24
Kyaneos
Steph.

I am currently:

I have a friend with very severe dissociative issues and she often regresses back to childhood, usually between the ages of 4 and 7 I believe... when it has happened around me (usually on skype) I dont try to bring her out of it because she seems to feel safe, apart from the fact that she will repeatedly say how bad she is and what a [burden] she is etc so I tend to do my best to reassure her that she is none of those things but apart from that she tends to do what children do, in that she likes to show me things, things that she has made... usually quite dark art work and she will tell me what they mean etc etc... I let it play out until she comes back and when she comes back I help her ground herself by telling her who she is and who I am and some stuff about her current adult self to calmly and safely bring her back to knowing who she is.

So yeah I would say, in response to the original post, try to let it play itself out as long as Jodie is safe and feeling safe and just be there to keep her safe when she comes out of it. But talking to her psychologist is definitely a good course of action!

Old 02-08-2015, 09:47 PM   #25
when.will.it.end
{Katie}

I am currently:

Debatably medication actually helps this stuff, not causes it. I really don't think you should be making any more sweeping suggestions if you don't have an understanding of the situation or dissociation.

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful,
committed citizens can change the world;
its the only thing that ever does.

Old 03-08-2015, 12:37 AM   #26
Isoverity

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by when.will.it.end View Post
Debatably medication actually helps this stuff, not causes it. I really don't think you should be making any more sweeping suggestions if you don't have an understanding of the situation or dissociation.

I'll put my understanding up againt yours or anybody's at any time. Start a thread and I'll debate you. More often than not its the blind leading the blind here and I've never been one of them.

Old 03-08-2015, 12:47 AM   #27
Kyaneos
Steph.

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isoverity View Post
I'll put my understanding up againt yours or anybody's at any time. Start a thread and I'll debate you. More often than not its the blind leading the blind here and I've never been one of them.
How is this sort of comment in ANY way helpful to Jenna/Jodie's original issue? You are verging on hijacking now, if you want to debate and brag about your 'knowledge and understanding' of the subject, kindly do it elsewhere.

Old 03-08-2015, 01:06 AM   #28
Isoverity

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyaneos View Post
How is this sort of comment in ANY way helpful to Jenna/Jodie's original issue? You are verging on hijacking now, if you want to debate and brag about your 'knowledge and understanding' of the subject, kindly do it elsewhere.

Am I not allowed to reply to posts where I am called out?

I see an original post where people are upset. I reply there isn't that much to be upset about. Then I get told that that is upsetting (its not). Then I mention there is research that shows too much legal medication itself becomes dissociative - just like illegal drugs and I get told I am accussing a person of doing illegal drugs ( I wasn't).

Then I'm told drugs can only help and cant make thinsg worse when they absolutely can. I didn't mod RYL news forum because I didn't know the information. I know the state of research concerning just about everything psychological - much better than most people here who seem to want to throw snit fits rather than see my point. I can certainly say I care about the problems people started this thread about - not so sure about the rest of you. I'm one of the the sane people here lol

I can post discrete research articles but this "expert" sums something up here that absolutely 100% applies to people in this thread. Too much drugs makes dissociation, psychosis , voices etc worse. That's entirely understandable to anyone with basic understanding

"Dyskinesia, Dissociation, and the Long Term Consequences of Antipsychotic” Drugs"

"I think it matters because of what it suggests about the consequences of long term use of antipsychotics. It is well known that long term antipsychotic drug use leads to a huge increase in tardive dyskinesia. Some have also pointed out that long term use of antipsychotics also seems to reduce recovery rates from psychosis. What I would like to suggest is that this worsening of outcome may be due to the same sort of mechanism that results in the creation of tardive dyskinesia.

When anti-psychotics “work” they do so by seeming to reduce “positive symptoms” of psychosis within the person. For example, the person may either hears the voices less, or care less about what the voices say, etc. It is typically hypothesized that this is a good thing. But if the voices represent dissociated aspects of the person, the actual effect of not hearing them and/or not caring about what they say may be to perpetuate, rather than to possibly work through, the dissociation. This may “feel better” or even work better in the short term than struggling with how to make sense of and integrate the voices, but it may lead in the long term to a “hardening” of the dissociation or splits within the person, so that healing or coming together becomes more difficult.

In other words, the effect of the drugs may be to make the voices become even more autonomous or split off from the person, just as the drugs result in tendencies to move the body, or dyskinesias, that are split off from the conscious will of the person. The drugs also make the person not care about these split off autonomous parts (just as the person with tardive dyskinesia often doesn’t care about or notice the involuntary movements) but they cause problems nevertheless.

People who learn how to handle experiences such as hearing voices without medication typically talk about changing their relationship with the voices, and these changes typically allow the person to integrate the activity of the voices into their overall functioning. But when antipsychotics are used to suppress voices and/or to suppress caring about voices, the relationship with the voices is simply suppressed rather than worked through or modified."

http://www.madinamerica.com/2012/03/...ychotic-drugs/

Nbobody has posted anything better than that yet

Old 03-08-2015, 01:58 AM   #29
when.will.it.end
{Katie}

I am currently:

This isn't a competition about who's got more knowledge or academic research. This is about helping the people involved. You have already been told, more than once, that your replies aren't helping and that you don't understand this situation. Are you the one that's going through this? If not, then how do you know whether it's a big deal or not? I'm going to leave my replies directly to you there for now because I'm not interested in a debate.

Original posters, as I've already said I'm sorry this is happening and please let me know if I can do anything x

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful,
committed citizens can change the world;
its the only thing that ever does.

Old 03-08-2015, 02:10 AM   #30
Isoverity

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by when.will.it.end View Post
This isn't a competition about who's got more knowledge or academic research. This is about helping the people involved. You have already been told, more than once, that your replies aren't helping and that you don't understand this situation. Are you the one that's going through this? If not, then how do you know whether it's a big deal or not? I'm going to leave my replies directly to you there for now because I'm not interested in a debate.

Original posters, as I've already said I'm sorry this is happening and please let me know if I can do anything x
Actually research is key/central and thats why I refer to it. If anyone is messing up the thread with hostilty and meanigless replies its you. If everyone at RYL has to have the problem being discussed we won't be able to post about much. You need to stop harassing a person making thoughtful replies and stop projecting on me ok?

Old 03-08-2015, 04:51 AM   #31
Crysainta

What are you even doing here, Jack? Does it make you feel important because you're, as you said "one of the sane people?" What has made you spend years on a website about a problem you don't have? Is your next move to go take an IQ test and post it as "proof" that you are right? I'm as educated as you, as are some others here, including Aimee I believe. No one in this thread has come across as being any less intelligent, or honestly any less sane, than you have. Did you never learn than shoving loads of articles in the face of person in crisis would do no good?
The best idea here is to take it up with a professional, but I know it isn't always that easy. It seems that in the meantime what you need are immediate tools that you can use right away, and those are going to come from people who have been through similar issues and learned how to handle them. The advice I've already seen given here seems valid and helpful, and I would have said the same thing in regards to grounding and just letting the situation ride itself out when it happens.

Old 03-08-2015, 04:06 PM   #32
ajrocks

I am currently:

^ I think Epic couldn't have said it any better really good advice.
What helps me is patience & just having someone sitting with me & chatting about random stuff in their day-has jenna tried that? Just to talk about any old stuff because i've told my safe people that if they do that i might not be listening but i can hear the tone of their voice & as long as they are talking quietly calmly i can get back & thats when my friend usually starts to ask me stuff like A-Z of band names etc lol! It seems to work for us even though sometimes it takes longer then others :( i would agree that not trying to snap you out of it is the way to go it could do more harm then good.
I feel for you i truly do dissociation/flashbacks are so hard for people to comprehend if they don't get them themselves but having a helpful supportive group of people around you can make all the difference they can get better i promise.

"And it's hard to dance with a devil on your back so shake him off."

"What others think of me is none of my business".

Old 03-08-2015, 07:19 PM   #33
Aardbei
Mali - Deputy Head Forum Moderator

I am currently:

Hi everyone - just letting you know I have removed Jodie's support specific responses from this thread and moved them to their own in the same board so both Jodie and Jenna can receive support for their two different questions/needs.

Old 03-08-2015, 10:01 PM   #34
Pi.R^2
I always have a choice

I am currently:

Hi guys, thank you for all the responses, they're really helpful and I'm going to take them on board and try out the suggestions. I'm asking for this thread to be closed as Jodie has her own thread now and it might get confusing having the same conversation in two places!

We may not see eye to eye, but we can respect each other's opinions and find the truth in them.
Perhaps in those honest conversations, instead of demonising each other,
we might see each other as imperfect humans, doing our best. ~ Jodi Picoult

Old 03-08-2015, 10:08 PM   #35
Aardbei
Mali - Deputy Head Forum Moderator

I am currently:

Closing at OP's request :)

Closed Thread

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)