RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 28-12-2013, 10:40 PM   #1
allie21

Advice needed

I need advice on ways to keep myself from self inflicted injury when I feel the urge and I need advice on how to tell a friend about my problem. I am struggling right now to not hurt myself.

allie21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2013, 12:46 AM   #2
not_so_insig
It's Bouquet! B-U-C-K-E-T!

I am currently:

I suggest looking at the big distraction thread and looking to see if there are any strategies. When I used to SI quite regularly I found it most helpful to do colouring - perhaps that will work for you? Or online games? Maybe the butterfly project will help?

The big distraction thread is here

http://www.recoveryourlife.com/index..._articleid=211

As for friends, I have only told one and I came out with something like "you know my scars on my arms? Well I am an SIer, but I havent done for over 2 years now" (I only told her recently) Perhaps something along those lines but add something like "I am getting help/trying to quit", whichever fits best with your circumstances. My friend replies "oh I had no idea that they were from SI, I never really took any notice of them", since my arm scars are pretty old. Hopefully your friend will be as positive and if they arent, they arent worth it. I would be prepared for a negative reaction however and be ready to say "it's a coping strategy" in case your friend thinks it's attention. And if they react really bad, they werent worth it.

Wannabe CPN : -)
"He who is tired of Weird Al is tired of life." - Homer Simpson
"I hear those voices that will not be drowned"
Sanity is a nasty disease. The world would be a happier place without it. - Rilic
RIP Kat 4th July 1987- 11th June 2013

not_so_insig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2013, 02:34 AM   #3
allie21

Thanks!

Thank you Insig! I will check out the thread. I started to SI 20 years ago and this is the first time I have reached out for help. I am tired of feeling this way and hiding this from everyone. I appreciate the info. As far as telling a friend I got brave and told one of my closest friends a little while ago. He was actually very supportive.

allie21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)