RYL Forums

View Poll Results: Are derogatory jokes about self harm appropriate & are they appropriate amongst professionals?
It is appropriate in some situations 27 16.17%
It shouldn't be joked about, seriously or not 75 44.91%
Professionals should well.. be more professional 48 28.74%
It is appropriate in most situations 6 3.59%
Other, Explain. 11 6.59%
Voters: 167. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 16-03-2010, 04:09 AM   #61
The 666th Pope
Hallelujah

I am currently:

holy crap this is old. still, its relevant i suppose.

well i voted for 'it is appropriate in most situations'.

Love is the most selfish emotion of all.

The 666th Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2010, 11:58 AM   #62

Would it be "OK" for someone who works in special-ed to make a joke about "those retarded kids" in front of their class?
Don't tell me that those people can't understand what it means. One of the girls i know is in that class, and she's perfectly aware enough to know when she's being insulted [actually, shes in my gym class, partially mainstreamed]. So is about half the program.

No, i don't think so. I don't think anyone would say 'yes that's perfectly fine'

Now true, I've been known to mask my problems with tasteless jokes.
When I'm making comments, it's the biggest sign that I'm probably struggling or have recently broken down.

If you're a freaking professional, I'd HOPE you know what SI is and how it's not some "emo fad" ect.

If I ever heard that from a psych or therapist, I'd be out of there so fast you wouldn't see me move

I realize this is a total zombie thread, and I'm adding to the bump, but it's a perfectly relevant topic now

001100111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2010, 02:11 PM   #63
The 666th Pope
Hallelujah

I am currently:

if someone makes a joke about si it doesnt mean there ignorant or trying to offend people who do it. most of the time its a general statement about a stereotype, so in the end why should we care if some part of our life just happens to be involved in the joke. its not aimed at us personally and unless you want to try and defend si as a good thing i dont really see the problem. everyone knows humour in the workplace is often crude and unforgiving, added to that is the fact that the psychs would probably come across self-harmers and jokes are often used to distance yourself from the harshness of your job. so *shrug*

Love is the most selfish emotion of all.

The 666th Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2010, 04:35 PM   #64
DontLookUp
Saffyx

I am currently:

Its not funny when they make jokes, its insulting and it hurts, because it just makes people feel even more isolated and like a freak. Thats what it would do to me.

Thats what it makes me feel when people in my class who dont know about my SH say things like SH's are retarded' I get it, some people just dont understand, and you know what i probably didnt understand SH before i started feeling so bad and needing it, but i would never had made jokes about it. people need to be educated more.

and of all people, a professional, they are meant to know about things like this, they just all dont seem to understand that most people do it cause they are hurting or not feeling. but they treat it as if it is some 'emo teenage trend'

♥ .I'm going to fall like I don't need saving. ♥
...My smile's just the armour I built when I was alone...

There was some part of me that hurt so badly, that I wouldn't ever be able to forget it.
It faded but the memories could bring it back any second, keeping me in the moment.
It would never fully heal. I could never really be free. I could never really be fixed.
Now I just have to work out how to live whilst being broken.
I feel like I'm dying.

DontLookUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2010, 06:05 PM   #65
Katiee
It's full of lonely.

I am currently:

It shouldn't be joked about full stop.

<3.

Katiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2010, 06:25 PM   #66
NeonHaze

I make SI jokes all the time, and hear them.
Sure in some situations its not appropriate, like I would never make them when Im in work (Soon going to be training as a MHN) but I use humour as a block, as do many people.

Sarah: Give me the child.
Jareth: Sarah beware. I have been generous up till now. I can be cruel.
Sarah: Generous? What have you done that's generous?
Jareth: Everything! Everything you have wanted I have done. You asked the child be taken, I took him. You cowered before me, I was frightening. I have reordered time. I have turned the world upside down, and I have done it all for you! I am exhausted from living up to your expectations of me. Isn't that generous?

NeonHaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2010, 07:27 PM   #67
Too Shy

I am currently:

I joke about self-harm and emos. Like above, humour is a kind of defence. And sometimes it's just funny anyway.

Saying that, I probably wouldn't do it if I knew I was around someone who was depressed/self-harming/etc. There's probably a time and a place for it.

Too Shy is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)