RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 13-05-2018, 12:34 PM   #1
Sock

I am currently:
exposed scars

wanted to know what comments/reactions other people have experienced (if any) when theyve left the scars on display?
i sometimes wear short sleeves but when i do i always worry about how others would react. I've not had anyone react to it but there can always be a first time. Im in the UK so mostly interested in how people here might react as i think it would vary across the world.

You have to do everything you can. You have to work your hardest. And if you do, if you stay positive, then you have a shot at a silver lining
'Rock bottom became the solid foundation on which I rebuilt my life'
“Courage does not always roar. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, ‘I will try again tomorrow.’”

Sock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2018, 04:30 PM   #2
one_step_closer
The Shadow of the Day

I never wear short sleeves in public any more. I have occasionally worn short sleeves in hospital when I've been too hot. When I have worn short sleeves I think the most people did was have a quick look at my arms, the main problem for me was my own feelings of 'what do I look like?' 'what are people thinking?' and being very aware of myself rather than of the reactions of others.

I put it down on paper and then the ghost does not ache so much.

Don't try to calm the storm, calm yourself, the storm will pass.

You didn't come this far just to come this far.

one_step_closer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2018, 08:18 PM   #3
not_so_insig
It's Bouquet! B-U-C-K-E-T!

I am currently:

I wear short sleeves most of the time. I have only ever had 2 people comment. One person had asked how come I had scars. I was still actively SIING at the time so didn't feel very comfortable saying the truth so I made up an excuse. One person assumed that it was from working with animals (I was working for an animal charity at the time) and I didn't coerect them. Both were many years ago.

I regularly go swimming and I can't cover up so easily in the pool but nobody has ever commented.

Wannabe CPN : -)
"He who is tired of Weird Al is tired of life." - Homer Simpson
"I hear those voices that will not be drowned"
Sanity is a nasty disease. The world would be a happier place without it. - Rilic
RIP Kat 4th July 1987- 11th June 2013

not_so_insig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2018, 11:22 PM   #4
Serendipity.
fabulous.

I wear short sleeves sometimes, if I'm feeling brave! I've only ever had a couple of people comment, both to ask why I did it (it's really obvious what they're from). It made me uncomfortable because I didn't know them well, but they weren't being unkind, just curious.

"I know you're sad, so I won't tell you to have a good day. Instead, I advise you to simply have a day.
Stay alive, feed yourself well, wear comfortable clothes, and don't give up on yourself just yet.
It'll get better. Until then, have a day."

Serendipity. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2018, 12:57 AM   #5
Greyscale
Chat Mod

Most people don't comment to my face at least, but most people who do bring it up seem to assume I was in some sort of accident (esp if I'm wearing something where you can see my legs, too). Only one person actually called me out on it and was like 'You need to stop doing that to yourself.' and I was like 'hah..hah... yeeeaaaaaah' and changed the subject. Most people seem to have enough sense to not mention it.

Greyscale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2018, 04:14 PM   #6
MoNo
untz

i stopped wearing longsleeves unnecessarily as soon as i got out of highschool. it's been about 11 years now, no one's said anything yet. might be different for women, but no one cares about your problems if you're a normal looking male which is gr8.

MoNo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2018, 08:07 PM   #7
Sock

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by one_step_closer View Post
I never wear short sleeves in public any more. I have occasionally worn short sleeves in hospital when I've been too hot. When I have worn short sleeves I think the most people did was have a quick look at my arms, the main problem for me was my own feelings of 'what do I look like?' 'what are people thinking?' and being very aware of myself rather than of the reactions of others.
Thats exactly what i feel!

You have to do everything you can. You have to work your hardest. And if you do, if you stay positive, then you have a shot at a silver lining
'Rock bottom became the solid foundation on which I rebuilt my life'
“Courage does not always roar. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, ‘I will try again tomorrow.’”

Sock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2018, 08:37 PM   #8
Dataunit
It'll all be fine in the end.

I am currently:

I posted a thread on this topic recently. A colleague of mine has SI scars all over her arms and on her leg but, AFAIK, no one has said anything to her (although at least one person commented behind her back). People know what they are and are reasonable enough not to bring them up, at least not in front of her, as they know it might cause her embarrassment. As an ex-SIer, it's been difficult for me not to say anything; I'm not sure she'd want me to so I pretend I haven't noticed.

Dataunit is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)