RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply

Old 24-07-2009, 11:23 PM   #1
Sunshine
This girl just cant take it anymore

I am currently:
Harry Potter question

I know lord Voldemort hated muggle borns and muggles but if he was in a muggle orphanage does that not mean he was a muggle born himself? cos i just read the last book and it said he had a grandfather who was a witch but then howcome he was in a orphange? im confussed! sorry to be a harry potter geek but its nagging me!

thanksxx

My Angels
Madeline 09/02/1990
Edward 10/02/1990

I want to live, not merely survive

Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2009, 11:46 PM   #2
I-Feel-Infinite
Jess ~♥

I am currently:

ok i'm using my knowledge which could be wrong as I sped through the last few books!! (I am a VERY VERY big harry potter geek too so it's ok!)
as far as I know his mother was a mudblood and this is mentioned in one of the books (possibly the 6th one/7th one when harry goes and find the horcruxes and there's a flashback to voldemorts ancestry??)
hence that's why him and harry are not that different??

I could be wrong as I desperately need to re-read the last few books!
but I'm pretty certain it's quite important in the story line!

As a little kid you believed in fairytales,
that fantasy of what your life would be: white dress; prince charming who would carry you away to a castle on a hill.
You closed your eyes and had complete and utter faith.
Eventually you grow up. One day you open your eyes and the fairy tale disappears.
But the thing is, it's hard to let go of that fairytale entirely because almost everyone has that smallest bit of hope, of faith,
that one day they will open their eyes and it will come true.

I-Feel-Infinite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2009, 11:46 PM   #3
linder surprise
vs. elvis.

I am currently:

read them all.

his mum was a witch, descendant from slytherin. his father was a muggle born so he is half-blood.
his grandfather, his mum's father wasn't much of anything and died soon after his mum ran away from home. but he was a wizard.

take what you love
burn it down.

linder surprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2009, 11:52 PM   #4
I-Feel-Infinite
Jess ~♥

I am currently:

ok linder surprise wins!!
I need to re-read! I've read books 1-4 SO many times it's insane.. but after that not alot...!

As a little kid you believed in fairytales,
that fantasy of what your life would be: white dress; prince charming who would carry you away to a castle on a hill.
You closed your eyes and had complete and utter faith.
Eventually you grow up. One day you open your eyes and the fairy tale disappears.
But the thing is, it's hard to let go of that fairytale entirely because almost everyone has that smallest bit of hope, of faith,
that one day they will open their eyes and it will come true.

I-Feel-Infinite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2009, 12:26 AM   #5
Mandimoo
Mummy!!

I am currently:

its revealed in the 2nd film (cant remember books) that voldemort's father is a muggle. he writes in the chamber of secrets 'tom marvolo riddle' and then makes it spell 'i am lord voldemort' and says to harry potter 'you didn't think i'd keep my filthy mudblood father's name' or summat like that.
mand x

Mand, South Wales, Full-time working, single mother to 2 scarily independent girls.
I AM A PROUD PLUMERIA SISTER

Mand x

Mandimoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2009, 12:34 AM   #6
Dicky T
Cheesy Balls

"he had a grandfather who was a witch"

What's the wizarding worlds version of a drag queen?

Dicky!

Please listen to my music by clicking on the link below:

Dicky T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2009, 12:37 AM   #7
Sunshine
This girl just cant take it anymore

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicky T View Post
"he had a grandfather who was a witch"

What's the wizarding worlds version of a drag queen?

Dicky!
ha yer dur me!

so why was he so againt mudbloods if his dad was one? or am i being dim?

My Angels
Madeline 09/02/1990
Edward 10/02/1990

I want to live, not merely survive

Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2009, 12:43 AM   #8
Time-Bomb
Connie...

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine View Post
ha yer dur me!

so why was he so againt mudbloods if his dad was one? or am i being dim?
I think it's because his Dad just left his mum as soon as she found out she was pregnant. (Not helping that she gave him a love potion in the first place...) Plus he had bad experiences with them in the orphanage.

My guess anyway.

Time-Bomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2009, 04:24 AM   #9
Casper_Fading
It's okay. I have a supersoaker.

I am currently:

He hated mudbloods. He wasn't a mudblood. His mother was a witch and his father was a muggle. His mother cast a love spell over his father to make him be with her and when she stopped casting that love spell, he deserted her. She gave birth and died at the orphanage. That's why he was raised there.

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."

- Dr. Seuss

Casper_Fading is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2009, 09:11 AM   #10
Dicky T
Cheesy Balls

Isn't that the definition of a mudblood though? Half wizard half muggle?

Dicky!

Please listen to my music by clicking on the link below:

Dicky T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2009, 09:39 AM   #11
Dreaming.
You are free.

I am currently:

^ S'wot I thought, too.

I watched 'Mysterious Ticking Noise' by Potter Puppet Pals last night, and all I have in my head is 'voldymort, voldymort, oh voldy voldy voldy!'

Dreaming. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2009, 09:52 AM   #12
Casper_Fading

I am currently:

Nope. A mudblood is someone who has two muggle parents. Like Lily Potter was a mudblood and so is Hermione Granger. Both have two muggle parents. In the Deathly Hallows, you have to prove that you have at least one wizard parent to not be arrested and stuff

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."

- Dr. Seuss

Old 25-07-2009, 09:57 AM   #13
The War Doctor
Man ist, was man isst

I am currently:

Tom Riddle was half-blood, like Harry Potter. As far as I remember he hid his blood status from the Death Eaters (who were mostly pure-blood with a few half-bloods thrown in), and he didn't hate half-bloods nearly as much as he hated muggleborns.

I realised just last night that since Harry and Voldemort were distantly related (look it up), Harry was AN heir of Salazar Slytherin. Not THE heir, I know, but still a descendant. Same goes for the Malfoys, the Blacks and the Weasleys.

The War Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2009, 09:58 AM   #14
BeautyFiend

I am currently:

Voldemort resented his father for abandoning his mother shortly after she fell pregnant.
He killed his dad, who was a muggle, and took pride in his Slytherin heritage.
Voldemort was a half blood, half muggle, half wizard born.
:)

BeautyFiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2009, 10:23 AM   #15
The War Doctor
Man ist, was man isst

I am currently:

There's one thing I don't get... sure, I can understand being more proud of your wizard family than your muggle family, especially when your muggle dad abandoned your pregnant mother, but that particular family? On his mother's side, Voldemort was a Gaunt, a family that engaged in incest and inbreeding. Why anyone would be proud of that is beyond me.

Then again, if he was inbred (or at least born to a woman who was) it may go towards explaining why he was so f*cked in the head..

The War Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2009, 10:35 AM   #16
BeautyFiend

I am currently:

The Gaunt family are descendents of the Slytherins though, I guess that's the part he's proud of.

BeautyFiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2009, 10:37 AM   #17
bobidrawpictures

I have never been more confused than I am now, this thread may as well be in japanese!

Hope you find your answer

bobidrawpictures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2009, 10:40 AM   #18
Amaryllis
Forum Mod

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicky T View Post
Isn't that the definition of a mudblood though? Half wizard half muggle?

Dicky!
Nope! Like Jessie said, a mudblood is someone who has two muggle parents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everybody's Grudge View Post
Tom Riddle was half-blood, like Harry Potter. As far as I remember he hid his blood status from the Death Eaters (who were mostly pure-blood with a few half-bloods thrown in), and he didn't hate half-bloods nearly as much as he hated muggleborns.

I realised just last night that since Harry and Voldemort were distantly related (look it up), Harry was AN heir of Salazar Slytherin. Not THE heir, I know, but still a descendant. Same goes for the Malfoys, the Blacks and the Weasleys.
Really? I don't have my books handy. Could you show me how you figured that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everybody's Grudge View Post
There's one thing I don't get... sure, I can understand being more proud of your wizard family than your muggle family, especially when your muggle dad abandoned your pregnant mother, but that particular family? On his mother's side, Voldemort was a Gaunt, a family that engaged in incest and inbreeding. Why anyone would be proud of that is beyond me.

Then again, if he was inbred (or at least born to a woman who was) it may go towards explaining why he was so f*cked in the head..
Well, it was really shitty of that dude to run off after the girl got pregnant. But after growing up in a mostly impoverished orphanage and being in Syltherin where they're all about the people being pureblood and being proud of your ancestry, I could see him clinging to what he had. And, someone said it in one of the books, that most of the really old pureblood families had engaged in a bit of incest/inbreeding themselves, so it's not something completely unknown. Just not talked about.

Men come and go, but dust accumulates.

Amaryllis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2009, 11:39 AM   #19
red_ragdoll

I am currently:

i was gonna ask how harry is a heir of slytherian - the only link he has to him is the paratounge which is somethnig he got from voldamort when he tried to kill him. im confused now

Show me the skyline and I'll show you decadence,
a subtle reminder of hearts filled with loneliness,
give me your worst words and I'll bring the sticks and stones,
I'd hate to use them,
you can't shake it with broken bones...

red_ragdoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2009, 11:43 AM   #20
Casper_Fading

I am currently:

There were three Peverells (I think that's the name, can't be assed to look it up right now) The potter's were descended from one of the brothers, and voldemorts family was descended from another one. It is all explained when Harry is talking to Dumbledore after he was "killed" by voldemort. But the Weasleys and the blacks and Malfoys aren't.

Don't expect the expected from voldemort. I mean, the man changed so he's almost snakelike! He split his soul deliberately into 7 and didn't bat an eye at the murders he committed. He's not sane in any way shape or form! He's a brilliant wizard, but not sane :P

- Dr. Seuss

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)