RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 21-09-2015, 12:57 PM   #1
mikey
I'm a girl

I am currently:
How's your general knowledge?

I thought this might be fun. We are a diverse group of people with different interests and knowledge. For example, I know lots about physiology, anatomy and animals. Other people might know lots about computers or art or maths or english literature.

So, post a general knowledge question. If you know the answer then write it and ask your own. You may look things up if you don't know. This way we all learn new things!

I'll start:

What is the longest bone in the human body?

There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who, when presented with a glass that is exactly half full, say: 'This glass is half full'. And then there are those who say: 'This glass is half empty'.
The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: 'What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!

Terry Pratchett

mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2015, 03:25 PM   #2
Doikers
Louder Than God's Revolver and Twice as Shiny

I am currently:

I Think it's the Femur , Mikey, In peoples legs.

Who played the possessed girl , Regan , in the 1973 Classic Film "The Exorcist"?

I'm still not comfortable in my skin and the anasthetic's slowly wearing thin - Otep
Everyones lost but me! - Indiana Jones

It's okay , they know me here .

Kahlia1981 is my adopted little sister :)

''Courage doesn't always roar , sometimes courage is that little voice at the end of the day that says I'll try again tomorrow"

Doikers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2015, 04:03 PM   #3
mikey
I'm a girl

I am currently:

I had to look it up - Linda Blair. And yes, it's the femur.

What is the name of the main blood vessel that carries blood out of the left ventricle of the heart to the body?

There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who, when presented with a glass that is exactly half full, say: 'This glass is half full'. And then there are those who say: 'This glass is half empty'.
The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: 'What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!

Terry Pratchett

Old 22-09-2015, 02:45 PM   #4
The Queen of Peace
Always does her best to please.

I am currently:

Is it the aorta? I'm not sure! PS. Mikey I really love "I'm a girl" under your username. :P PPS. I love this idea for a thread.

Who wrote To Kill A Mockingbird?

For you to be here now trillions of drifting atoms had somehow to assemble in an intricate and intriguingly obliging manner to create you. It's an arrangement so specialized and particular that it has never been tried before and will only exist this once. That is of course the miracle of life.
-Bill Bryson

Don't ever frown because you never know who's falling in love with your smile.

The Queen of Peace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2015, 03:14 PM   #5
mikey
I'm a girl

I am currently:

You got it right! Thanks, I added it to remove confusion and people thinking I'm a zebra ;)

It's Harper Lee - we read it in school.

Okay. Is a whale a fish or a mammal and how do you know?

Terry Pratchett

Old 22-09-2015, 03:31 PM   #6
The Queen of Peace

I am currently:

It's a mammal. I had this in a folder that I had where my parents paid for a monthly subscription when I was a kid and it was colour co-ordinated for categories of animals. And all whales went in the mammal section. I don't actually know the proper reason. :D Live babies? They can't fly? No idea!

Which three subatomic particles make up an atom?

For you to be here now trillions of drifting atoms had somehow to assemble in an intricate and intriguingly obliging manner to create you. It's an arrangement so specialized and particular that it has never been tried before and will only exist this once. That is of course the miracle of life.
-Bill Bryson

Old 22-09-2015, 03:57 PM   #7
mikey
I'm a girl

I am currently:

Protons, neutrons and electrons I think?
They give birth to live young and the young suckle. They don't have gills but breathe air! It's amazing what you can still remember from when you were a kid, isn't it?

Okay, what is the difference between black and white rhino (hint: it's not their colour!)?

Terry Pratchett

Old 22-09-2015, 05:48 PM   #8
Pi.R^2
Pathologically flamboyant

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Queen of Peace View Post
They can't fly?
How would this help make it a mammal not a fish? Fish can't fly :P

I had to google the rhinos so I would be able to join in the thread! Apparently black rhinos have smaller lips than white rhinos?

Which two neighbouring stations on the London underground are furthest apart? (Are all my questions allowed to be on the London underground...?)

No other sadness in the world would do

Pi.R^2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2015, 06:39 PM   #9
The Queen of Peace

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi.R^2 View Post
How would this help make it a mammal not a fish? Fish can't fly :P
I was listing the qualities I knew that defined mammals. Although, bats are mammals and they can fly. So I really don't know what my point was. So this means I'll have to settle for a rubbish comeback... Shush Jenna!

Now I must answer your question. *sighs* A quick Google tells me it's Chesham and Chalfront which are 6.3km apart. You could include some maths-based questions, too, Jenna! This is what I was planning on. :P

What is the capital city of Mongolia?

Last edited by The Queen of Peace : 22-09-2015 at 06:42 PM. Reason: Needed to add things.

-Bill Bryson

Old 22-09-2015, 06:57 PM   #10
mikey
I'm a girl

I am currently:

Oh no, maths!!!!

It's Ulaanbatoor (don't know how to spell it, but I have actually been so I know this to be true!)

Which came first, the chicken or the egg? (A joke! Couldn't resist, sorry). The real question is which actor played Hannibal Lector in the film The Silence Of The Lambs?

Terry Pratchett

Old 22-09-2015, 06:59 PM   #11
Charmed
I'm safe up high.

I was totally out-ninja-ed by Mikey and had to delete my previous answer (I definitely googled the spelling!) but it's Anthony Hopkins. And I've decided it's the chicken :p

I'm rubbishy at thinking up general knowledge questions, how do you know if it's 'general' or just weird knowledge?! But I'm deeply enjoying this thread!

Which athlete has one the most Olympic medals?

Have you ever looked fear in the face and said "I just don't care"?

Charmed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2015, 07:07 PM   #12
mikey
I'm a girl

I am currently:

I had to look it up and google says Micheal Phelps, which I believe because he's incredible!

I am deeply enjoying this thread also. I don't think it matters what kind of knowledge it is; learning anything new is cool (although Jenna - please be nice with the maths!).

Okay: what is the name of the frontman and singer in the band Metallica?

Terry Pratchett

Old 22-09-2015, 08:27 PM   #13
Pi.R^2

I am currently:

My general knowledge is bad so I'm googling that too! James Hetfield apparently. I was going to guess Kurt Cobain...

It was indeed Chalfont & Latimer and Chesham. That's one of my favourite fact. I need to go there sometime and enjoy that journey!!

I shall try to be more mainstream and avoid maths *sulks*. Hmm. What is Lemony Snicket's real name?

Old 22-09-2015, 08:42 PM   #14
Optimus Pirate
Chat Mod

I am currently:

Daniel Handler - though I cheated and googled because I had no idea at all!

Question: What are the three official languages of Luxembourg?

More than a little fruity...

Optimus Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2015, 08:44 PM   #15
Pi.R^2

I am currently:

I think it's French and Luxembourgish, and then I would have to guess the third one as maybe English? I know most people in Luxembourg speak 3+ languages.

Old 22-09-2015, 08:46 PM   #16
Pi.R^2

I am currently:

Oops, I was so excited about the Luxembourg question that I forgot to add a question. I also googled and realised I was wrong about the third language- it's German.

What clef is viola music normally written in?

Old 22-09-2015, 09:04 PM   #17
mikey
I'm a girl

I am currently:

I googled it, and after it gave me a very confusing and complicated answer I barely understood, I think the answer is alto? Also, it's fine by me if you want to do maths! I want to learn and get better!

What is Keith Lemon's real name?

Terry Pratchett

Old 22-09-2015, 10:35 PM   #18
FlyingPeanuts
Hang On to Your IQ

I am currently:

Leigh Francis, right?

Which gothic rock band was Peter Murphy in?

a heart that hurts
is a heart that works.

FlyingPeanuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2015, 10:51 PM   #19
Charmed
I'm safe up high.

I had to Google this, Bauhaus? It came up with a football player first!

Who wrote Black Beauty?

Have you ever looked fear in the face and said "I just don't care"?

Charmed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2015, 10:51 PM   #20
whirlpools

Bauhaus, had to look it up and would q uite like to listen to their music.

Smeg, I was outninja'd. Anna Sewell (Googled that too!)

Name five lakes in the Lake District.

whirlpools is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)