RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-04-2013, 06:38 AM   #1
Lone Star
Lone Star

Cream/ointment to fade scars - HELP (contains Googled pic of scars for reference)

I've beaten this topic to death by now, but it's VERY important to me.

I have a lot of "white" scars on my arm from when I used to cut. It's been 8 months since I last cut, and I've moved forward from those dark days, BUT the only thing that really holds me back is the scars. The only reason I feel held back is because nowadays, the scars trigger my memory about the whole situation that happened to me around the end of 2011 - mid 2012. It's really hard on my mind because the main reason I cut was because I had lost a person I felt extremely close to. While now things have changed and I'm actually glad that me and this person don't talk anymore, I feel it's time that I close this book and start a new one. I really don't like being reminded that I did what I did because now looking in hindsight, I feel so retarded for doing what I did to myself. (Subsequently, I'm also hurt by losing the person that helped me stop cutting BECAUSE of the scars)

I realize the scars will take a while to be barely noticeable, and I know that they will never truly fade away. I'm okay with that BUT right now, my scars are very pronounced. I've actually had people look at me weird if I roll up my sleeves to wash my hands or if they accidentally get rolled up. I personally don't like it and I have a very low self esteem as is.

Anyways, enough ranting; my reason for this thread is... has anyone ever tried a product called "InviCible Scars"? They claim to help fade scars within 3 months.

What I really want is a product that can help make white scars blend in more with my skin.

Right now they look similar to this...

(just to be clear, that's not my arm. I have a couple Keloids as well, which I don't mind keeping - the Keloids tell a deeper story, whereas the white scars are the ones that haunt me).

Please don't tell me "they'll be there forever". I realize they'll never disappear, but I don't want them as crystal clear as those in the pic. I've come close to breaking down because of it, it's a real heavy demon that I carry and deal with on a daily basis, to the point Ive become anti social because I know no one will accept me in the area that I live in if they knew someone like me used to cut.

If anyone has a good product (that I can find in the US), please tell me, or if you have any experiences with InviCible Scars, please discuss... if you have any good experiences with white scars and other ointments, please discuss...

It would mean a lot to me right now.

Thanks

Last edited by Amaryllis : 25-04-2013 at 06:16 PM. Reason: removed picture of scars.
Lone Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 10:40 AM   #2
0HRP1

Bio-Oil in the UK is supposed to be great for scars. Don't know about availability in the US so you'll need to check.

For anyone who has freah scars i highly recommend Savlon Advanced Healing Gel. I used to be a drug addict and my arms used to end up in a right state and this one really helps heal newer wounds. It's well expensive compared to normal Savlon Gel (roughly x3) but it is far more effective. Wounds heal much faster and with much less scar tissue.

0HRP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 02:23 PM   #3
snailonvalium
*~manda~*

Vitamin E oil or cream helped mine,not an instant fix but cheaper than bio oil.

snailonvalium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 04:41 PM   #4
Puppet Strings
commonplace.

Vitamin E
Bio-Oil
Palmer's cocoa butter stuff

To be honest, go into any large Boots/Superdrug/'drug store' and have a browse at what they've got - probably the best thing to do. It'll depend on your budget, your preferences for oil/cream etc, and so on.

There's quite a few things on the market :)

I've used Bio-Oil in the past, and so long as you actually remember to use it regularly (KEY POINT) then it works prettyyy well.

I see it in your eyes
You'll be alright

:heart:

Puppet Strings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 11:04 PM   #5
The Herbalist.

I am currently:

I've had some success with bio oil. They are definitely more faded, though that may be due to the massaging/time. I did originally purchase it for use on acne scars - bad idea by the way. It's oil and it made me break out moaaar.

The Herbalist. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 11:27 PM   #6
dizzy_cow

I am currently:

I have heard that lemon juice and vitamin E capsules help. Silicone gel sheets help too.[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o22BbaWgiOk"]Showing my Self Harm scars for product review - YouTube[/ame] dont watch if you get triggered easy, no wounds but old scars

dizzy_cow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 12:53 AM   #7
Leo Pard
Flem Fatale

I am currently:

Just a quick note, you may need to put a 'scars visable' warning on this thread. Some people here like to be wrapped in cotton wool all the time...

The world is just illusion always trying to change me.
You will find wonder wherever you can, and spread joy whenever you are able.

I felt emotions of gentleness and pleasure, that had long appeared dead, divide within me. - Frankenstein.

Leo Pard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 05:03 AM   #8
Lone Star
Lone Star

Okay, I'll check out bio-oil. They sell it at Walmart in the US. I would assume any other pharmacy store like CVS would have it too, but I'll look at it considering it's not $40 like invicible scars.

Between Bio-oil and palmer's, which one would be more effective? (based on experience). I ask because I'm a perfectionist with certain things, and this is one of those things I don't want to go through the whole bottle of cream only to feel I failed in fading them.

BTW I changed the thread title due to Flem Fatale's recommendation. Don't want to get caught up.

Old 08-04-2013, 09:26 AM   #9
dizzy_cow

I am currently:

I personally didnt like bio oil but thats only because I nearly slipped and did myself an injury lol. Palmers cocoa butter is nice. I prefer the texture and it does work, you just need patience

Old 08-04-2013, 09:31 AM   #10
dizzy_cow

I am currently:

In my experience though, once they have gotten to the white stage thats pretty much as far as they will go but fingers crossed

Old 08-04-2013, 11:21 AM   #11
Lone Star
Lone Star

I'll consider Palmer's next time I visit my local pharmacy but damn, that's not reassuring.... well it's really not your fault, but it hits me that the pic that I had googled was of an Indian man who had the scars for 5 years and the scars between that pic are mine are too similar, except the pic depicts scars after a while whereas mine are inbetween 8 months to a year old.

I just don't want to have these forever and it makes me want to break down sometimes :'(

Its hard being a male with self harm issues. -___-

Old 08-04-2013, 01:15 PM   #12
dizzy_cow

I am currently:

sorry hun, I wish I could be more helpful.

Old 08-04-2013, 01:19 PM   #13
talaiporia
Chat Mod

I am currently:

I know you've changed the title but you might want to actually make it say *Scars Visisble* because it's one of the labels here, and is more clear.

I've found Dermatix helpful, but I agree that there is a limit, and it was incredibly expensive (though, in my case I felt it was worth it). I know there are different types of treatment like chemical peels, lasers, or surgery/grafts, but most of this will never completely get rid of your scarring, only improve it.

It doesn't matter where you come from; it matters where you go.
No-one gets remembered for the things they didn't do.
We won't all be here this time next year,
so while you can take a picture of us.
We're definitely going to hell,
but we'll have all the best stories to tell.

talaiporia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 02:20 PM   #14
Fire Fly
Feel free to be yourself

I am currently:

Hey,
My gp prescribed me hydrocortisone cream. It's a steroid cream you use twice a day for a week. However I've been using it longer than that but it has really reduced them. They have reduced the raised keloids and faded my white scars to the point where you can't see it.

Good luck

Ballerina123 - My lovely superstar

Call me R -

The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time - Abraham Lincoln

Fire Fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 06:46 PM   #15
Lone Star
Lone Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzy_cow View Post
sorry hun, I wish I could be more helpful.
Don't worry about it. It just scares me when people say that since I get told that all the time

Quote:
Originally Posted by talaiporia View Post
I know you've changed the title but you might want to actually make it say *Scars Visisble* because it's one of the labels here, and is more clear.

I've found Dermatix helpful, but I agree that there is a limit, and it was incredibly expensive (though, in my case I felt it was worth it). I know there are different types of treatment like chemical peels, lasers, or surgery/grafts, but most of this will never completely get rid of your scarring, only improve it.
I don't mind them to be severely faded or whatever, I just don't want to have lines that blatantly say "He used to cut", because my area isn't the most nurturing area for this type of issue.... then again , which one is? lol

I just want to be able to go out without feeling like an alien

Old 09-04-2013, 06:07 PM   #16
kinkyk123

I am currently:

hi there love!
bio oil is supposed to be gud or any oil with a base of almond.
praps thatl help....gud luk and fab on getin ova it.....gud on yas
luv yas ka xx :)

kinkyk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 10:26 PM   #17
Leo Pard
Flem Fatale

I am currently:

Any mousturiser will work. If you get those vitamin E capsules and cut them open, then rub the oil on your scars twice a day for a couple of weeks it should help quite a bit as well.

Sorry my previous comment was a bit short, I was in a rush. But just thought I should say so that people don't have a go at you.

The world is just illusion always trying to change me.
You will find wonder wherever you can, and spread joy whenever you are able.

I felt emotions of gentleness and pleasure, that had long appeared dead, divide within me. - Frankenstein.

Leo Pard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 08:37 AM   #18
Lone Star
Lone Star

Don't worry if your previous comment was short or long. What matters is that you're helping me out, and everyone so far is helping me out right now.

I've decided to take a plunge for it and I got the Palmers... I just wish I did this last month so I could have seen some progress. It's officially summer here on the east coast of the US and I could not be more miserable in a long sleeve with this 90 degree weather.... and I had to be the dumbass that got a convertible car too... (well not really a bad decision, just wish I could enjoy it in a short sleeve.)

Old 10-04-2013, 06:10 PM   #19
Solstice
No longer inpatient

I am currently:

I definitely suggest bio oil. Doesn't take them away but will fade them as quickly as they can be faded. Unfortunately, once they get to the white stage that's about as fades as they are going to get. Avoiding sun exposure helps a bit.

Angels are friends who support you when your wings forget to fly.

Solstice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 09:13 AM   #20
Lone Star
Lone Star

Well for what it's worth, my "victim" arm never saw the sun ever since I started. I started in the winter and it was easy to hide it... until the summer came by. So I did the ace bandage trick but I don't want to do it again because having "accidents" for 2 years in a row isn't very.... believable.

I just hope there's something I can do to make these not so obvious and visible. :( I'm doing the palmers treatment right now. Might check out bio oil if I run out of palmers and I see no improvements

Oh how I ****ing regret this one... but I was condemned...

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)