RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 16-02-2008, 10:41 PM   #1
Steel Maiden
There is no place like 127.0.0.1

Did A&E help you?

What are your experiences in A&E? Did they help when you were in a crisis or did they just patch you up and send you away?

Steel Maiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2008, 10:51 PM   #2
Pixies Stole My Sanity

I am currently:

They were dreadful the first time. They seemed to have the idea that because I had hurt myself, it didn't matter if what they were doing hurt me. The doctors also asked stupid questions like 'Well why do it?' and acted as if I was exceedingly stupid.
The second time they were lovely.
So I don't know, i've had both.

Sarchasm, the gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the recipient who doesn't get it
'Life is a sexually transmitted disease'

Pixies Stole My Sanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2008, 10:58 PM   #3
Steel Maiden

Did you go to the same hospital both times?

Out of the numerous times that I've gone, they've either threatened to section me, got the security guards to chase after me and jump on me, inject me with lorazepam or persuade me to admit myself. I usually go in because I freak out at school or at home, although once I was taken by ambulance when I overdosed on [mod edit - a medicine].

Last edited by Dreaming. : 17-02-2008 at 01:37 PM. Reason: Removed name of drug taken
Old 17-02-2008, 02:41 AM   #4
alienshe_cheesycake
the world will never take my heart

I am currently:

I've been twice. Once when I OD'd, they were pretty un-concerned tbh
Checked that I wasn't dying, put me on a drip for a night then after a little chat with some random guy who gave me phone numbers, sent me home.

It was exceedingly **** tbh.

The second time, I went to A+E because I was having a bit of a break down at my local mental health place (Community Mental Health Team? )
Sat in A+E for hooours, talked to a doctor for about 5 minutes then admitted myself because I was extremally suicidal and a danger to myself...
so it wasn't really a case of them wanting me to stay and me not wanting to, I had to persuade them actually .....it was very annoying.

"In the driest whitest stretch of pains infinate desert, I lost my sanity, and found this rose"

alienshe_cheesycake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2008, 01:27 PM   #5
pixie*lyssie
Lyssie =) xx

I am currently:

First time when I had just started cutting myself they sent me up to the MAU to stay the night and wait for my psych to see me. They were nice to me then. But not so nice to me when I took OD's. They were nicer when I have cut myself and need stitches or something. I'm not sure why that is. LoL

xx

Someday I'll wish upon a star
and wake up
where the clouds are far behind me
Where troubles melt like lemon drops
away above the chimney tops
that's where you'll find me
http://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1002&dateline=1227381  259

pixie*lyssie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2008, 02:08 PM   #6
dark_light

I am currently:

I've had different experiences depending on the doctor/nurse treating me. Someitmes they are lovely but other times i have been treated like a silly little girl. I've been stitched up without any anatheasia/pain relief because i've done it to myself so obviously i like the pain!
I've been threatened with the police if leave the hospital then other times they send me away without even seeing anyone from the mental health team. Doesn't really make sense to me.

dark_light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2008, 02:16 PM   #7
x-dying-inside-x
*Dan*

I am currently:

when ive od'ed they been really nice to me but when i went when i had tryed to break my wrist they were so mean to me.

" my precious, precious child, I love you and I would never, never leave you during your times of trials and suffering. When you see only one set of footprints it was then that I carried you" you were carried out of are lifes into the next and when its my time to leave this life I know i will be carried into the next life with you.
I wish i had my world complete again.
'Can we protend that airplanes in the night sky are like shooting stars, i could really use a wish right now' BoB

x-dying-inside-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2008, 02:22 PM   #8
d.rocky

I am currently:

ive been twice now, second time just last night infact.
anyway the first time was horrible. they were very off with me and the last nurse i saw was a complete bitch and i shouldve told her to **** off as i walked out instead of just walking out.... anyway second time(last night) was much much better.
the nurse that saw me was so nice to me. she wanted to make sure i was feeling safe and such like. anyways yeah she cleaned me up and dealt with my arm and also wrote a letter to my doctor explaining that i need to see my cpn a lot sooner than i am currently. gave me spare bandages and antibiotics for an infection.
but yeah so good and bad.

Darkest night, daylight suppressor

d.rocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2008, 02:24 PM   #9
pixie*lyssie
Lyssie =) xx

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark_light View Post
I've had different experiences depending on the doctor/nurse treating me. Someitmes they are lovely but other times i have been treated like a silly little girl. I've been stitched up without any anatheasia/pain relief because i've done it to myself so obviously i like the pain!
I've been threatened with the police if leave the hospital then other times they send me away without even seeing anyone from the mental health team. Doesn't really make sense to me.
Omg that sounds barbaric that you didn't get the anaesthetic. They were nice to me when I needed stitches and asked me if I see anyone and I was like yeah I see a psychiatrist. They were also nice to me when I ripped my belly bar out and were asking me if I did it on purpose but I didn't admit to doing that myself.
But they were mean to me when I took OD's, sort of like it could have been avoided and I'm just being stupid.

Someday I'll wish upon a star
and wake up
where the clouds are far behind me
Where troubles melt like lemon drops
away above the chimney tops
that's where you'll find me
http://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1002&dateline=1227381  259

pixie*lyssie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2008, 03:07 PM   #10
Hollz
Daffodil

I am currently:

On any occasion that I've been to A&E - it has been okay. I rememeber the first few times I had to go was because I was having panic attacks, and everything was fine.

I have been a few times regarding overdosing as well, and I have been treated fine. On some occasions, I have been put on a drip and then ref to the on call physch team in the hosp, who evaluated me and said I was safe to go home.

Last time I was there though, I only had to be monitored for a few hours and once I was fine - I was allowed to leave, they spoke to the physch team on the phone though, and as I was not suicidal I was allowed to leave.

I think that has been the key, because when I have overdosed, I have regretted it, and hence gone to hospital - and therefore they judged me not to be a risk, so yeah - my experience of the hosp have been okay.

Something has changed within me, something is not the same, I'm through with playing by the rules of someone elses game. Too late for second guessing, too late to go back to sleep, its time to trust my instincts, close my eyes and leap....
Somethings I cannot change, but till I try I'll never know...
Big hugs to all my friends on here, thanks for your constant support - love you guys

Hollz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2008, 03:41 PM   #11
DropDead-
No more, i love you's.

I am currently:

Everytime i've been to hospital,i've always been admitted because it was through an overdose and overdoses are automatic admittance,and most of them were nice to me.
Although the first time i went to hospital through an overdose,at the night time i was so so terrified,i didn't sleep,and i was crying all night,and the nurse that was looking after me kept shouting at me because i was disturbing the other patients because of my crying. That wasn't nice at all,she was horrible. I was only 13 :(

But most of the time they are pretty nice,the last time i went there,and the nurse saw my arms(it was an overdose not for cutting),she talked to me for ages about how when she was my age she did the same thing,she was so nice.

So it depends really.

So stand in the rain.
Stand your ground.
Stand up when it's all crashing down.
You stand through the pain.
You won't drown.

DropDead- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2008, 04:46 PM   #12
lolly_x

only been in hospital once thats was for an OD
The nurses were well nice to me

of course i got the doctor and ambulance crew going do u know how dangerous it is blah blah blah

Old 17-02-2008, 05:24 PM   #13
Steel Maiden

Thank you for all your inputs.
A&E departments can really vary, and when you come to adult age, they appear to care less.
Having schizophrenia on my medical records generally kicks them into action and puts them in a "we must treat her like a dangerous animal" mindset.
But then, I am extremely scary when I am having an episode; there is no sense in anything I do or say during those times.

Old 17-02-2008, 09:25 PM   #14
xbeckyx

When I was in for an OD they were okay, the guy giving me a blood test seem to have fun poking around in the obv wrn gplace in my arm but w/e *kick*
I got asked if I wanted to see a psych, talk to somene on the phone or wait til I next saw my cousellor. They almost put me on a drip but then agreed to let me go home. They also said tehy wouldn't tell my parents which they were pretty decent about :)
I had a waoman come in to ask what my intent was, she made sure I didn't want see anyone that day and that was it.
They were generally good.

xbeckyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2008, 09:52 PM   #15
Steel Maiden

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbeckyx View Post
When I was in for an OD they were okay, the guy giving me a blood test seem to have fun poking around in the obv wrn gplace in my arm but w/e *kick*
I got asked if I wanted to see a psych, talk to somene on the phone or wait til I next saw my cousellor. They almost put me on a drip but then agreed to let me go home. They also said tehy wouldn't tell my parents which they were pretty decent about :)
I had a waoman come in to ask what my intent was, she made sure I didn't want see anyone that day and that was it.
They were generally good.
That's very positive. :)

Old 17-02-2008, 10:30 PM   #16
sopranonut
*Han*

I am currently:

A few years back i was in a+e sometimes 3 times a week. Can't remember each time individually but i know it tended to get worse the more and more times i had been. The general nurses treatting my wounds and od's were mostly nasty or indiferent to me with the odd exception of a nice one.
The psych team also varied. I got to know them pretty well as a psych nurse got called to come and assess me each time. One of them was really nice and spent a lot of time with me talking and just trying to sort out things. Some of them just sent me home and said they'd tell my social worker i'd been in. I got admitted a couple of times but mostly just sent on my way and told to have a cup of tea and go to bed! haha!

Life breaks most of us in the end, but afterwards some of us are strong in the broken places
~ Ernest Hemingway

sopranonut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2008, 12:27 AM   #17
numb
No-looking-back

I am currently:

I have been in a+e many times, last yr it was 2 or 3 times a week, with SU or SI, or psychotic episodes, i was put in room and watched by security, i ran off once and the police chased me up this road for miles, and brought me bk. Ive sat in a+e so many times and cried my eyes out at what ive done. Some nurses were nice, others were like oo no its another attention seeker and proper nasty. the MH team were exaclty the same, your playing games with us, your wasting time, etc i was pretty messed up, but i would not go to a+e unless i was absoluty out of it. when i turned up in a psychotic episode i wud scream and shout and run off, cry, not let anyone near me i was pretty bad. the last time i went up with a SU i was admittted to the psych ward bcoz i was a danger to myself, it really opened my eyes and made me realise wot i had done to myself. I sort of owe my life to a+e and the psych ward to be honest.

numb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2008, 05:07 AM   #18
Razoredge

I am currently:

ive lost count of the ammount of time ive been in unfortunatly the last visit was one i will probably never forget i had gone to get my arm looked at and tol the nurse that i was feeling suicidal, her reply was " if you feel like that do it", with her saying that i ran outside and jumped off the 30ft ledge that was outside, so had a horrible time and im dreading if i eva have to go back, my injuries will heal but i will never 4get wat she said!

You matter because you are what you are. You matter untill the last moment of your life.

Razoredge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2008, 06:05 AM   #19
Steel Maiden

Quote:
Originally Posted by numb View Post
I sort of owe my life to a+e and the psych ward to be honest.
Same here. I can even forgive the times I was pinned down to the floor and injected, because I can't imagine what I would have done otherwise.
If it wasn't for A&E and psych ward, I would not be alive today, or I would be severely schizophrenic, probably with no hope of a life to live.

Old 18-02-2008, 10:31 AM   #20
peccatophobia

hi ,i was there at week end as i cut up again ,but at our hossi ,they chuck you in a small square room and you sit in it for 2 hrs while a shrink comes to see you but because ambulance dressed my wrist they never checked it out and shrink phones cops up and on Wat cops say they make they minds up for you to go home or stay ,so I'm home ,and for them its the end of it ,the nurses don't like self harmer's in our hossi ,but every one goes ow you always doing it so its become nothing new , no you come home feeling crap no support no questions asking you way you did it ,well don't know if my Dr will now about it ,but i now he don't talk to me about it so just me to me again ,feeling not shore and uneasy ,but do you think its accident and emergency ? because you don't get treated like it is ,sorry if i come across bitter I'm just in shook still ,

peccatophobia is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)