RYL Forums

Forum Jump

Old 12-01-2011, 04:51 AM   #1
consequential

Medication Question - coming off steroids

I was put on steroids and left on them for 7 months which is very dangerous.
my bones started breaking on thir own .i stopped taking them as i was scared.none doctors seemes to give a f*k .
I feel very depressed and sick and have very bad headaches .how long will this last ,i weaned myself off them .

It became like a sort of prison. Encased in a silver shell, words so full of bleeding need spilled like drops on dry leaves. And all the while laughter prevailed a long way from here. Nowhere land, nowhere time, nowhere space.

4 Hugs Given By :
Old 12-01-2011, 07:46 AM   #2
bobbiwibble
Just find the time and reach for the bright side

I am currently:

the only advice I can give is having watched my half-brother coming down from steroids - to be honest he said that the most important thing was having trust in the people who were helping you so while I don't know much about the medical side I do know that it's best for you to voice any concerns as soon as possible, and I would certainly say depression and bone-breaking(!!) should be mentioned ASAP.
xbobbie

heliotrope-lavender-candytuft-tulip-almond blossom-sycamore

Where do you turn when the night turns to singing
such sweet melodies and you flash your fin
then it's back to the depths where I cannot see you
but I built these towers just to honour you.....

Old 12-01-2011, 08:05 AM   #3
Jadear

I am currently:

ask your dr

Old 12-01-2011, 11:43 AM   #4
Jetforce
Wound Care Advisor

I am currently:

Seek medical advice, is ur best option as said above

Old 12-01-2011, 05:17 PM   #5
life-hurts

I am currently:

be very careful in trying to wean yourself off steroids. If this is done too fast you could go into adrenal crisis which is a life threatening condition. The symptoms can be very non specific and include headache. My best advice to you is if you can seek medical advice right away. If you don't feel able to do this seek advice ASAP and in the meantime if you have come off the steroids quicker than was advised go back on to the dose you were meant to be on.

Good luck and stay safe

Live life then give life

"I know God will not give me anthing I can't handle. I just wish that He didn't trust me so much"
-Mother Theresa

Old 12-01-2011, 10:02 PM   #6
consequential

They know my bones are breaking.they gave me appointment for feb in the hospital and I was supposed to keep taking steroids till then.None them seem to care really.Ill go to my gp I suppose .They ddint seem to care either my weight has reached critical level .I can barley move Im so fat

It became like a sort of prison. Encased in a silver shell, words so full of bleeding need spilled like drops on dry leaves. And all the while laughter prevailed a long way from here. Nowhere land, nowhere time, nowhere space.

Old 13-01-2011, 02:52 AM   #7
x_broken_hearted_x

I am currently:

sorry but was it prescribed steroids?

Ive been on prescribed one for as long as i can remember for my chest and really you should of not weaned yourself off them if you do not know what you are doing or at least spoke to your gp before coming off them.

What do you mean you`r bones are breaking?? are they casted up?
You must of got some treatment if you`r bones are breaking?

I dont understand?

<3 <3 <3 Love you with all my heart baby girl. I miss you so much 21/11/11 RIP beautiful

Old 13-01-2011, 05:15 AM   #8
consequential

My ribs on either side are broken.I went to a and e .theres no treatment for broken ribs.Only rest and painkillers .I stopped taking them cos im seriously obese .I have noticed now Im not hungry at all.if I get any heavier I could have a heart attack .As it is my clothes are soaked with sweat from being so big and its winter.I hate myself.

Old 13-01-2011, 02:57 PM   #9
life-hurts

I am currently:

Going to the GP is probably your best bet. I know being on steroids can be a real drag. I've been on them for long periods on high doses and know how miserable the sweating and weight gain can make you. If you do need to stay on them a little longer your GP may be able to prescribe you some calcium to give some added protection to your bones. As far as weight gain it sounds like the docters believe that the risk you'd encounter by not being on steroids is bigger than the risks you may incur by being temporarily obese. This being said it might be worth finding out if you could be reduced to a lower dose of steroids as then you may find you experience a lot less side effects.

It's probably also quite important for you to find out why the docters think being on steroids is the best thing for you at the moment. Understanding why you're putting up with feeling rubbish doesn't solve anything but it can make things easier to cope with.

I hope you're ribs heal soon and you can get some answers so you can feel happier with you're treatment.

Live life then give life

"I know God will not give me anthing I can't handle. I just wish that He didn't trust me so much"
-Mother Theresa

Old 14-01-2011, 01:53 AM   #10
consequential

Thanks Life hurts ,thats a really nice reply.
I feel better today and am planning on seeing gp .Its just Im constantly at the doctors and dont want to be annoying them.

Old 17-01-2011, 04:50 PM   #11
life-hurts

I am currently:

Have you been to the GP yet? If so how did it go? If not try not to worry about bothering your GP they are there to help and advise you. I'm sure they'd rather you bother them!

Live life then give life

-Mother Theresa

Old 18-01-2011, 03:47 AM   #12
consequential

Im going to make an appointment .i been falling apart physically and mentally.I rang the psych ward today and the nurse remembers me and was talking to me and i told her I have been very bad and very suicidal and she said this is normal coming off steroids ,well maybe for mh ppl not ordinary folk if you understand.And I think she wanted me to go through a and e to see the psych and she said I need a refferal letter .but I told her I couldnt sit with broken ribs for 9 hours in a and e which is average time of waiting.
I will have to see the gp then the psych .I had a shower at least tonight and feel somebit human .I upped my meds to compensate .Thanks for caring ,youre a nice person

Old 19-01-2011, 01:06 AM   #13
Bitter_Angel
*First Aid Advisor*

I am currently:

You need an urgent GP appointment to figure out a plan!!
If you want to come off the steroids, then that is your choice, though they should not have effected your bones that much in that short space of time, plus a medication can be prescribed alongside steroids to prevent bone loss. ( I spent a solid 18 months on them with no lasting side effects and now I am on and off them at regular intervals)

However, the thing with coming off them, is that when you have been taking them for a while, your body gets lazy and stops making its own natural steroids. The body needs to have some form of steroid in it, as it helps with things such as infection and fighting stress. If you suddenly stop the medication, and your body has no steroid in resever, then it is possible to get very sick very quick. The withdrawal effects, can be life threatening, such, if you get a shock, you body cant push some steroids out to keep your heart going, resulting in sudden death.

The other thing with steroids, which is worth taking into account, is that they can cause what is reffered to as medication induced Cushing disease, which can cause, anxiety, depressions and psychosis.

Eva. Gone, but never forgotten 27.3.10

Old 19-01-2011, 01:42 AM   #14
consequential

I have been psychotic and my bones broke on their own.The doc wants me to go back on them but Im so fat its bad ,Im morbidly obese.I dont know what to do .All the symptoms of my disease are back and Im very sick from withdrawal too.I saw gp today and i have consultant appointment on 2 feb .

Old 19-01-2011, 07:22 AM   #15
Lawrencia

Man you need professional advice rather then hanging around in forums you should go and see the doctor who can guide you better then us.

Old 19-01-2011, 10:29 PM   #16
Bellatrix
Voldemort's Bitch

I am currently:

You keep saying what is wrong rather than what you're doing. Are you gonna go talk to your doc about your concerns?

When you do, voice you're annoyance at the bone weakness (maybe calcium is lacking) and tell them about your weight problems - don't forget a lot of people have these side effects from steroids, and the doctors are trained to know what to do to ease the side effects. We can't tell you what to do/take/stop taking. You need to see your doctor.

if ya think your current doc isn't working with you on this, change to another.

Imperfection is underrated.

Old 19-01-2011, 11:03 PM   #17
Animad

You NEED to talk to a doctor about this and in the future you NEED to talk to them before coming off a drug. Something like steroids is a drug that can cause a LOT of damage if not weaned off them properly as your body will stop making any or as much as it's getting them in your meds so then when you suddenly stop taking them or take less your body has to compensate and start to make more for itself which can take quite some time and if not done absolutely properly can cause problems. As well as that, you also need to look at the reasons why you've been on them and it is likely that if you're still prescribed them then you need to be on them as steroids are not meds that doctors will keep you on if you don't have to be and so coming off them prematurely can just cause the reason why you were on them to come flooding back and get much worse.

You really shouldn't mess with these or any other meds you're on (as they should be taken AS PRESCRIBED by a doctor and there is a reason some meds can only be taken if prescribed) otherwise it could cause a lot of harm and you need to see your own doctors ASAP about this, we can't help you at all with it as we're not your doctors and can't give you any more info than I have as that may be classed as us prescribing something which is illegal.

Old 20-01-2011, 12:36 AM   #18
consequential

Quote:
Originally Posted by reallifetime View Post
I have been psychotic and my bones broke on their own.The doc wants me to go back on them but Im so fat its bad ,Im morbidly obese.I dont know what to do .All the symptoms of my disease are back and Im very sick from withdrawal too.I saw gp today and i have consultant appointment on 2 feb .
Whats everyone giving out about
did they not read this post .

Old 20-01-2011, 02:47 AM   #19
Bitter_Angel
*First Aid Advisor*

I am currently:

Good on seeing your doctor.
As for the weight, what is more important to you, being the correct weight? or being well? Steroids do make you swell, but they also make you crave certain foods. Snacking on fruit can help as can regular exercise if you can do it. Most of the weight from steroids are put on around your neck and face.

Eva. Gone, but never forgotten 27.3.10

Old 20-01-2011, 06:10 AM   #20
consequential

My neck is huge ! i cant exercise cos I have sarcoid which is why i was on steroids in first place .I have swollen lungs+cant breathe and arthritis all over and swollen feet and ankles .Thats why im fat too .Im not going back on them I dont care if i die i swear

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)