RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 18-06-2020, 01:24 AM   #1
Amber51

I am currently:
Contains abuse - Started Having Flashbacks & Nightmares Again

It's been over a year since I moved out of the home I grew up in, and where I underwent the vast majority of my abuse. I went through a lot of stuff to try and forget what they did to me. I self-harmed, I drank, I did drugs, and not just the light stuff. Even after I moved out, I still kept doing a lot of it, but eventually I stopped, for the most part, about half a year ago. I still drink more than I should, and abuse my medical license to be high more than I should, but I stopped doing the heavy drugs, and I stopped self-harming.
I figured it'd been long enough for me to not have to worry about being triggered or anything, but I guess I was wrong. The other day, I decided to binge-watch Jessica Jones on marvel, which is a show that frequently mentions sexual abuse. I probably should've known that it would trigger something for me, but, too late now, I suppose.
Regardless, when I went to bed that night, I had several nightmares about the stuff that happened to me as a kid, and many things that I had managed to forget about, or at least, I thought I had. When I woke up, the memories didn't go away, and when I went to bed yesterday, I had even more nightmares, these about my father rather than my sexual abuser.
My brain constantly thinking about these memories is really starting to mess me up. I haven't self-harmed in roughly half a year, but I got pretty close to doing it again last night because of what all of this has been doing to me. Does anyone know a good, healthy way to deal with these nightmares/flashbacks?

Amber51 is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Hugs Given By :
Old 20-06-2020, 11:00 AM   #2
Soft Kitty

I'm really sorry you went through this trauma and that you're experiencing intrusions now. It doesn't seem fair, does it? Massive well done on stopping self-harming, and for looking at healthier ways to cope.

This probably seems like a bit of a pat answer, but would it be possible to seek out trauma therapy? It seems as though you need and deserve some help to navigate this difficult time. It might be that you're starting to have flashbacks and nightmares because the trauma still needs to be dealt with.

RYL has a post with a list of suggestions for dealing with flashbacks. It might be worth having a look through and see if anything jumps out. I'll see if I can post the link.

Often, it's about grounding yourself in the present, reminding yourself that you are safe now and that the abuse is in the past - that you survived. It can be easier said than done, though.

Soft Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2020, 11:01 AM   #3
Soft Kitty

This is a lovely thread with loads of resources. There's a section for dealing with flashbacks and nightmares:

https://www.recoveryourlife.com/foru...d.php?t=181383

Soft Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)