RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 23-04-2020, 05:47 PM   #1
Reminiscer

I am currently:
Difference between narcissism and someone who simply refuses to admit being wrong

I've wondered, what is the difference between a true narcissist and someone who just generally doesn't like to admit they were wrong about something or can't be held responsible for their actions? I know narcissists can't handle being wrong or being held responsible for anything. Too much of a threat. But I also have known and still know some people who aren't narcissistic that can't handle responsibility or being wrong either. They may be a little arrogant, but still doesn't have all the characteristics of full blown narcissism. Same with going into a rage after being called out on. Narcissistic people will fly into a rage if someone tries to call them out on something, but it's also possible for someone who is not narcissistic to do the same thing.

Could it be that there are different levels of narcissism? Is it possible that there are other personality disorders that may have some overlapping symptoms that mimic narcissistic personality disorder? I believe there can be other factors in play. I know some people who were a bit arrogant but not truly narcissistic that would fly into a rage if they were called out on something, even if it was something small and not a huge deal. Some people may just have a fear of admitting they were wrong due to negative past experiences. Not making any excuses for their behavior, just a general reason as to why they may act the way they do.

They may have insecurities and a general fear of being held responsible or being wrong, but it may not necessarily be due to narcissism, it could be general feelings of inferiority, being abused in the past, and a general need for acceptance from others. All of this can overlap and appear to make someone look narcissistic. I just wondered how you exactly distinguish someone with true narcissism and something else that could be causing them not want to accept responsibility. I wondered if maybe there was another sign that gave a 100 percent certainty as to whether to not someone is a true narcissist.

I knew someone in college who, if she was called out on something, she would respond with rage and even start throwing stuff. Some would say she was narcissistic, others would think she has something else wrong with her. I know some people who refuse to admit to being wrong towards certain people, like family members but not as much towards others. Also my friend's mom is the kind to throw fits of rage as well. If she is called out on something, she will get so mad she will start throwing stuff as well and screaming and stomping around like a child would. She also has ADHD and that can lead to extreme anger. My dad can't admit to being wrong especially since he used to be in the Marines and in the military, it is generally frowned upon to be wrong. There are many more examples of people who can't admit to being wrong or taking responsibility, yet they aren't narcissistic. Do you know some general key differences between true narcissism and just someone not wanting to admit wrong doing or responsibility? Just wondered what you all thought. I'm not trying to diagnose anyone. That's not right for anyone to do, although I know people that like to do that.

Reminiscer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2020, 05:33 PM   #2
Deborrah
Has had the same avatar since 2011

I am currently:

Narcissism in itself is a way of relating to others. Narcissistic personality disorder, is when this relation causes significant problems with relationships, self-image, and mental health in general. In a way, we are all a little bit narcissistic - some moreso than others - but NPD is a set of symptoms that relate to narcissism which in turn causes problems in the individual's life, or makes the individual a problem to others/themselves.

Personality disorders can have overlapping symptoms and that's one of the reasons why they are paired in clusters. NPD is part of cluster B together with antisocial personality disorder(psychopathy/sociopathy), borderline personality disorder, and histrionic personality disorder. When you look at the other disorders in this cluster, they are all "dramatic". There is some overlap in how the symptoms present. HPD is characterized by attention seeking and being the center of attention, while NPD comes with a need for admiration - two different symptoms, but in certain cases can present very similarly. Cluster B disorders also seem to have the most "issue" with empathy - APDs feel little to no empathy towards others, and people with NPD have lessened empathy as well(although this depends of course). People with BPD tend to have no empathy as well, or all empathy, which depends on the individual. The big overlap with cluster B is that a lot of the people in this category rarely seek professional help, if ever - people with BPD are the most likely, but NPD rarely ever seek out help. APD tend to get in trouble and end up in prison rather than therapy.

With all this said, I'm not a professional and speak from my own research and experience(I have borderline personality disorder myself)

Check out Dr. Ramani Durvasula on YouTube. She specializes in narcissism and has lots of information. She also did a series on personality disorders with MedCircle, and I found her very clear and easy to listen to when I was researching my diagnosis.

~* Don't you dare surrender *~
Don't leave me here without you
Cause I could never
~* Replace your perfect imperfection *~

Deborrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2020, 02:16 PM   #3
Reminiscer

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deborrah View Post
Narcissism in itself is a way of relating to others. Narcissistic personality disorder, is when this relation causes significant problems with relationships, self-image, and mental health in general. In a way, we are all a little bit narcissistic - some moreso than others - but NPD is a set of symptoms that relate to narcissism which in turn causes problems in the individual's life, or makes the individual a problem to others/themselves.

Personality disorders can have overlapping symptoms and that's one of the reasons why they are paired in clusters. NPD is part of cluster B together with antisocial personality disorder(psychopathy/sociopathy), borderline personality disorder, and histrionic personality disorder. When you look at the other disorders in this cluster, they are all "dramatic". There is some overlap in how the symptoms present. HPD is characterized by attention seeking and being the center of attention, while NPD comes with a need for admiration - two different symptoms, but in certain cases can present very similarly. Cluster B disorders also seem to have the most "issue" with empathy - APDs feel little to no empathy towards others, and people with NPD have lessened empathy as well(although this depends of course). People with BPD tend to have no empathy as well, or all empathy, which depends on the individual. The big overlap with cluster B is that a lot of the people in this category rarely seek professional help, if ever - people with BPD are the most likely, but NPD rarely ever seek out help. APD tend to get in trouble and end up in prison rather than therapy.

With all this said, I'm not a professional and speak from my own research and experience(I have borderline personality disorder myself)

Check out Dr. Ramani Durvasula on YouTube. She specializes in narcissism and has lots of information. She also did a series on personality disorders with MedCircle, and I found her very clear and easy to listen to when I was researching my diagnosis.
Yeah I agree and that makes sense. They do all overlap with one another and it's possible to be diagnosed with more than one of them. I will check out those videos you mentioned. And I agree, we all do have some narcissistic tendencies. Just like how we may all have some depressive tendencies without actually having depression. It's when it causes havoc on your life that it becomes a disorder, like you mentioned.

Reminiscer is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)