Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 21-12-2019, 08:29 AM   #1
Deaths_Kiss
Misery Loves Company.

I am currently:
Writing a memoir

Hi,

I haven't been active on here for a very long time, but here I am once again, looking to you for help.

Last year, after 15 years of lies, secrets and addictions, I decided it was time to face my past - head on. I went to get help, serious help and I wanted to try. One of the pieces of advice I was given by a volunteer was to write a memoir because I found/still find it too difficult to speak up about the things that haunt me.

The reason I am posting this is because I have absolutely no idea how to go about this. Over the past 12 months I have started several versions and deleted them all. I don't know how to write something so personal. If anyone has any suggestions or would like to speak to me about it, I would be extremely grateful.

Thank you in advance.

Rhi.

"A story told, is a life lived."

Deaths_Kiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2019, 05:33 PM   #2
one_step_closer
The Shadow of the Day

I'm not really sure if I have any advice since I often think about writing my life story and then never get round to it even though I have loads of material in diaries etc.

Have you read any books about how to write a memoir? There might also be some groups in your area where writers get together. What makes you delete what you have written? Could you write a list of all the things you want to write about and order them from easiest to hardest so maybe you'd keep more of your work and then build on that and re-order things?

I hope you can figure out something that works for you. Good luck.

I put it down on paper and then the ghost does not ache so much.

Don't try to calm the storm, calm yourself, the storm will pass.

You didn't come this far just to come this far.

one_step_closer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2019, 05:40 PM   #3
Deaths_Kiss
Misery Loves Company.

I am currently:

Hey, thank you for replying.

I have read a few memoirs, but finding advice on how to write a memoir is really difficult. I find that they are too broad for me.

Unfortunately, I moved to China last year and there is absolutely nothing here that can help me with writing!

I have a list of events that I would want to write about that I know would help me, but the reason I delete things is because I feel like what I am writing is inconsequential drivel. Or I don't like my writing style or I feel like I'm just waffling. The hardest part is probably being the only person that reads it, so I would never even know if it was any good or not. I want it to make sense, I want people to read it so that they can understand me and what I've been through. I want to be able to help people as well as help face things myself.

I have a friend that said she will read my stuff, but I wimp out because I get really embarassed because some of the things are pretty raw. She knows me and she knows what I've been through... but she doesn't REALLY know. If that makes sense? So its difficult.

"A story told, is a life lived."

Deaths_Kiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2019, 07:12 PM   #4
one_step_closer
The Shadow of the Day

There might be a writer's forum online that could be useful, have you had a look?

I put it down on paper and then the ghost does not ache so much.

Don't try to calm the storm, calm yourself, the storm will pass.

You didn't come this far just to come this far.

one_step_closer is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)