RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 22-01-2018, 05:10 AM   #1
manic_felinemistress

I am currently:
Empathy vs Sympathy

So I'm on the spectrum. My therapist and psychiatrist were commenting on how well I"ve learned sympathy, but that I don't get empathy. Per their instruction I'm gonna start taking acting classes for a little while to learn it. Which is terrifying to me. My question is though, what's the difference?

manic_felinemistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2018, 05:39 PM   #2
one_step_closer
The Shadow of the Day

It can be quite hard to explain. I think the way I understand it is that sympathy is your own feelings about what someone is going through and empathy is imagining what the other person might be feeling. So sympathy could be that you feel sad for someone but empathy is a bit deeper like thinking about the other person's feelings rather than your reaction and considering what it would be like to be in their shoes. Maybe that's the main point - empathy is imagining being in someone elses shoes. It's confusing to explain in words. Hope the acting classes help and they're not as anxiety provoking as you think they'll be.

I put it down on paper and then the ghost does not ache so much.

Don't try to calm the storm, calm yourself, the storm will pass.

You didn't come this far just to come this far.

one_step_closer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2018, 06:06 PM   #3
sherlock holmes
do you like my potato?

Probably the simplest way of explaining it is that having empathy would be walking in someone else's shoes. That means that you're thinking about their situation as if you were them- taking into consideration their situation, family life, work life, any factor that is important and relevant. It means you understand as if you were going through it as that person, from their point of view.

Sympathy is you understand their situation from your own point of view.

Isn’t it funny how day by day nothing changes but when you look back, everything is different…

you once called your brain a hard drive, well say hello to the virus.

sherlock holmes is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)