RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 24-09-2013, 04:41 PM   #1
yoyogirl

I am currently:
nhs and mental health

Hi All

I was watching this morning today at 11:30 and there was article surrounding the overstretched mental health services, what does everyone think about it?
Has anyone had any experience of overstretched mental health services
http://www.theguardian.com/society/2...services-limit

Last edited by yoyogirl : 24-09-2013 at 04:47 PM.

Have you ever confused a dream with life? Or stolen something when you have the cash? Have you ever been blue? Or thought your train moving while sitting still? Maybe I was just crazy. Maybe it was the 60's. Or maybe I was just a girl... interrupted.
I know what it's like to want to die. How it hurts to smile. How you try to fit in but you can't. How you hurt yourself on the outside to try to kill the thing on the inside. I tried groups, didn't work out just made my depression a lot worse.

yoyogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2013, 06:14 PM   #2
Faulty item

To me i get the impression my local crisis team are completely overwhelmed and out of money. Its a case of if your not threatening to do something thats in the public eye they are totally not interested in helping me. If your in a crisis ring they say , i wouldnt ring if i didnt think it was critical.

Faulty item is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2013, 06:16 PM   #3
FabulousMike
Proud Union Activist.

I am currently:

It's also not helped that the NHS has already started to be sold off to private companies.

FabulousMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2013, 06:23 PM   #4
Cacoethes
90's B*tch

I am currently:

^ that's not working out so well.

The surgicentre at my local hospital was a privately run unit and it just didn't work so was handed back to the NHS!

I'm lucky that I haven't been affected by budget cuts, but I know quite a few people who have, including staff members.

I'm fine! Totally fine. I don't know why it's coming out all loud and squeaky, 'cause really, I'm fine!

Who else is fine?!?!?

Cacoethes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2013, 06:29 PM   #5
FabulousMike
Proud Union Activist.

I am currently:

Good that it went back into the NHS hands where it belongs!

Old 24-09-2013, 06:48 PM   #6
yoyogirl

I am currently:

if its critical then i ring them if its not then i wait till i cpn but i often get bollocked from my psych for not ringing my cpn when i desperately need her.

Have you ever confused a dream with life? Or stolen something when you have the cash? Have you ever been blue? Or thought your train moving while sitting still? Maybe I was just crazy. Maybe it was the 60's. Or maybe I was just a girl... interrupted.
I know what it's like to want to die. How it hurts to smile. How you try to fit in but you can't. How you hurt yourself on the outside to try to kill the thing on the inside. I tried groups, didn't work out just made my depression a lot worse.

Old 24-09-2013, 06:50 PM   #7
Cacoethes
90's B*tch

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faulty item View Post
To me i get the impression my local crisis team are completely overwhelmed and out of money. Its a case of if your not threatening to do something thats in the public eye they are totally not interested in helping me. If your in a crisis ring they say , i wouldnt ring if i didnt think it was critical.
Tbh, they were like that even before these budget cuts!

I'm fine! Totally fine. I don't know why it's coming out all loud and squeaky, 'cause really, I'm fine!

Who else is fine?!?!?

Old 24-09-2013, 07:47 PM   #8
Stellata

If they trained GPs better to help manage routine MH appointments/patients, it would help!

Stellata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2013, 07:48 PM   #9
yoyogirl

I am currently:

I wish there was more out there in there in the uk

Old 24-09-2013, 07:54 PM   #10
Cacoethes
90's B*tch

I am currently:

We have a hell of a lot compared to most.

As **** as the NHS can be, I'm incredibly grateful for it.

Last edited by Cacoethes : 24-09-2013 at 08:08 PM.

Who else is fine?!?!?

Old 24-09-2013, 07:58 PM   #11
FabulousMike
Proud Union Activist.

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cacoethes View Post
We have a hell of a lot compared to most.

As **** as the NHS CAN be, I'm incredibly grateful for it.
So very true! I <3 the NHS.

Old 24-09-2013, 09:25 PM   #12
yoyogirl

I am currently:

So very true

Old 24-09-2013, 10:20 PM   #13
MissAnonymous

I am currently:

Most of the people within mental health do what they can with what they've got. The worst thing is the people who lack integrity and empathy; on a personal level there are certainly some people who should not be in a caring profession, and many more who need to improve on 'bedside manor'.

But I do think money is wasted. A new computer system; scrapped because it was not fit for purpose; costed the NHS 12 billion.. so far! I honestly don't know how such a costly mistake could have been made when the NHS is so strapped for money.

There are a lot of idiots involved in running it [and they have larger salaries than they probably should].

I'd like to see budgets/trusts linked in some way so we don't have MH teams seeking to avoid admission to MH wards, but not seeking to reduce admissions to general wards. It's a lack of joined up thinking that costs the NHS more in the long term; whilst people suffer in the short term.

MissAnonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2013, 10:06 AM   #14
yoyogirl

I am currently:

But when the person it at a huge risk of harming themselves or taking an overdosage then they should be taken no matter what

Old 25-09-2013, 10:52 AM   #15
Cacoethes
90's B*tch

I am currently:

I think a lot of money is spent on making the NHS look good.
My local hospital is having a new A&E department built, I was taken there on Monday and it was still overcrowded and the waiting room was packed. (Luckily I didn't have to wait or anything because I was taken in on a stretcher thing)

I was also on a PICU a few years ago. It had just been built, it cost 12 million to build and won an architectural award. But the 'care' was still the same, it was the unit where my shoulder was dislocated by a member of staff and they refused to let me see a doctor.
Things like the heating and water systems barely worked but there was no money to fix it.

But it was all OK because the unit won an architectural award.....

Who else is fine?!?!?

Old 26-09-2013, 04:06 AM   #16
beautiful_seclusion

I am currently:

The US system is definitely over stretched. And here most people can't even access the public mental health system unless they are very low income or classified as seriously mentally ill. So basically you have to have everything completely fall apart before you get help unless you have a lot of money. It's unfortunate. And even once you get it, the services are terrible. There's a lot of very serious incompetence, and even when there are professionals who do want to help, they just have too much work to do it well. A lot was due to poor oversight; there was a lot of waste in money that led to the severe cuts. But yeah sounds like a similar situation here. I'm so glad I don't have to deal with our mh services anymore.

Stereotypes are the epitome of human laziness.
- me

beautiful_seclusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2013, 12:10 AM   #17
Dreaming.
You are free.

I am currently:

As has been said, the entire NHS is stretched - not just mental health.

And it sucks, but it is a better system than many others. There is a massive discrepancy between investing in the health service for short-term gains, and supporting long-term growth and proper investment in the system.

Amongst other things, thank you bipartisan system for that. FWIW, anybody interested in reading about the NHS computer failure should read The Blunders of our Government, for a good and detailed cover of it.

Dreaming. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2013, 12:21 AM   #18
Snow White.
I am a fairy.

I am currently:

How does seeing a psychologist work for you under the NHS? Are your sessions capped at a certain amount per year? Do you have to pay?

Snow White. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2013, 12:36 AM   #19
Dreaming.
You are free.

I am currently:

It depends, Aimee, on your local area and what's available to them, and how your health is deemed to be.

There are many options available with therapy - eg in my local area, I can get CBT treatment for free, I can get medication (for £7.80 a month), or I can spend between £15 and £40 a session on counselling, less if I'm on benefits of some kind.

If you do get a talking therapy, there normally is a cap of some kind - X many sessions/hours - except if you're under the 'mental health team' (ie in need of more serious care - psychiatrists etc), where you may have more flexibility. But that's my situation, others may be different.

Old 28-09-2013, 12:36 AM   #20
Dreaming.
You are free.

I am currently:

I realise that wasn't a clear answer, sorry.

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)