RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 16-03-2013, 09:11 AM   #1
Day Tripper
shannon

I am currently:
$400 million

So this guy has been sentenced to 17 years in prison and ordered to pay $400 million in restitution for causing $450 million in damage to a nuclear submarine.

I'm curious...

What happens when he can't pay that money back but is released from prison?

Day Tripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2013, 09:46 AM   #2
Isoverity

I am currently:

Well in a civil case a person just declares bankruptcy. This is a criminal case so he might be stuck. Some kind of budget would be worked out. There will be allowance for living expenses and then the fines. I would add 7 people were injured in the fire - and he set 2 fires a few weeks apart. The sub was fuming like a barbecue and people had to go down inside of it Setting fire twice to a US Navy nuclear submarine will get you a maximum sentence

Isoverity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2013, 09:51 AM   #3
Day Tripper
shannon

I am currently:

Yeah, I've been hearing about the story for a while now. I'm actually friends with his mother but really don't want to bring up my curiosity to her. :\

Old 16-03-2013, 09:51 AM   #4
Day Tripper
shannon

I am currently:

So thought I'd ask here. :P

Old 16-03-2013, 10:44 AM   #5
Isoverity

I am currently:

From what I read he was trying to blame medications. It was reported he claimed he was having anxiety attack and set fire to get off the sub. He said his medications had clouded his thoughts and he didn't really know what he was doing. Alas setting two fires a couple weeks apart make the fires seem more deliberate. I guess he was (at the time of the fires) also texting a girlfriend he was arguing with (over another guy)

Old 16-03-2013, 10:58 AM   #6
Day Tripper
shannon

I am currently:

It's all a mess. She spoke about her sons a lot and I met him once. Never once did she say anything about him having anxiety or depression or anything mental going on. So unless she wasn't even aware of it...

It's been really hard on his mom. At first she had a horrible time believing that her baby boy would do anything like that and then was having to swallow being told he could potentially spend life behind bars. I suppose 17 years is easier to digest than life. I'm waiting a few days before I contact her to see how she's doing. Yeah, he may deserve the punishment, but this punishes his whole family.

This whole time I haven't been able to get over $450 MILLION. Clearly it's entirely possible but it's just so hard to fathom causing that much in damages.

Old 16-03-2013, 11:31 AM   #7
Isoverity

I am currently:

Well a Navy nuclear sub is a very specialized bit of tech that costs billions. A hot fire melts wires and circuit boards, causes structural damage to the steel (think collapse of World Trade Center) etc. It wasn't like a fire in a wastebasket - the whole sub was like a fireplace and chimney. The smoke and water damage of a 7 hour fire would also have been considerable. The Navy had to weight the cost of fixing sub vs scrapping it. Then the whole repair and deployment schedule was thrown off. Fixing a nuke sub that extensively isn't like getting a car fixed. There have been few nuclear subs damaged that much if any (there have been bow rammings). Most judges would be asked to give maximum penalties where an Navy ship is concerned. Of course they dont expect to get 400 million from this guy. Thats just an exclamation point to show people how serious any damage to a ship will be treated. Plus people could easily have died in a fire like this. Conventional ships might have been left to burn but a nuclear sub is an extreme situation not unlike a reactor. Here is an article mentioning the meds and anxiety.

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0712/78894.html

Old 17-03-2013, 08:18 AM   #8
Day Tripper
shannon

I am currently:

Yeah, I've read a lot into it. His mom had linked me a lot of articles when telling me what was going on before. I'm also aware that the sub was a multi billion dollar piece. I'm not totally oblivious on that bit. :P

My main curiosity was in would they garnish wages (assuming he ever had wages again), potentially lock him up again for failure to even establish payments or sufficient payments (perhaps to make a further point since he was given only 17 years) or something else. I had never heard of someone being ordered to pay so much in restitution so was wondering how that would work out on his part.

When I had met him before he had seemed rather standoffish and nervous. Then again he was simply in work to see his mom, get the car keys and head off to wherever.

Old 17-03-2013, 10:22 AM   #9
Isoverity

I am currently:

This post sounds right:

http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/arc...p/t-70816.html

Old 19-03-2013, 01:10 AM   #10
Day Tripper
shannon

I am currently:

I'll have a read. Thanks. :)

I guess there was another, small fire on the sub the other day caused by debris from sandblasting hitting a light or something. It also doesn't sound too positive that they're going to bother doing the repairs at this point. :\

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)