RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 06-05-2008, 02:03 PM   #1
Tomorrowwillcome

I am currently:
Triggering (SI) - Do smells trigger you to s/h

I went outside the other day and the smells outside in the spring air reminded me of the start of my latest episode of s/harming which started last summer. It made me feel all the emotions that I had felt then and later that night I cut myself and the feeling was soo good. I also used the shed last summer we had just bought and when the rain was drying out on the wood the smell had the same triggering effect and I was desperate to cut myself in the shed but it was the afternoon and I had my young son with me.

Do any of you guys find smells a trigger

Tomorrowwillcome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 02:13 PM   #2
Bleeding Angel
This is my story, and your not part of it...

I am currently:

umm no, but each to thier own.

"Its not how long a star shines, what is remembered is the brightness of the light"

Bleeding Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 02:21 PM   #3
Lost Reverence

Smell is an incredibly powerful trigger for memory. I have a scented candle that i never lit, and whenever I smell it it reminds me of a particular moment years ago. A smell has never triggered me to cut myself, but i can understand how it could.

This would be the way of a misanthrope. In order to create, you must destroy - Satyricon.

Lost Reverence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 03:13 PM   #4
Undomiel
Hope...

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Reverence View Post
Smell is an incredibly powerful trigger for memory .
Definately! I find it triggers me more than anything..

And yes smells have triggered me to self harm..in almost exactly the same way as you actually..smell of a changing season..reminds me of how I felt then and it's almost like I'm back there.
There are other smells for me too that remind me of a bad past experience or a person who hurt me..and that can bring up lots of feelings which then mean I self harm..or want to...

you're not alone hun..

Take care xxx

'Won’t you run, fly, open up your lungs tonight, breathe freedom for the first time in your life..'
I WILL keep smiling...I will..

Undomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 03:14 PM   #5
_Mariana_

I am currently:

for some strange reason, oxtail soup does (i think it smells like blood, dont like it much).
on the other hand, the smell of 'green' ie one particular air freshner makes me feel so safe. do you have any positive smells as well as negative ones?
take care x

_Mariana_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 03:45 PM   #6
Tomorrowwillcome

I am currently:

The funny thing is I've never ever until the other day ever had any emotional attachment to smells or even music. I also have no understanding of other peoples pain so do not understand sympathy, I suppose I should not be admitting my autistic inabilities here, but I cannot understand why anyone injures themselves it really bewilders me even though I do it myself. I was thus astounded to go outside and be triggered by these smells and in some way it's quite exciting to have been triggered in such a way.

Please forgive my lack of emotional understanding I do read other peoples posts but can not respond except to mechanical rather than emotional posts as I would not know where to begin

Tomorrowwillcome is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)