Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply

Old 27-09-2013, 06:29 PM   #1
KissesLikeAPrototype
It's Not a Fashion Statement, It's a Deathwish

I am currently:
Sertraline

Hello there all,

I've had problems with my mental health for a long time now. I have battled with self harm and low self esteem and have been in and out of counselling for years. For the past couple of weeks, I have been feeling particularly down and sad for what, from the outside, would seem like no reason. I finally decided to talk to my doctor today about getting more counselling, but unfortunately the wait is 6-8 months. Long story short, when I talked to my doctor, she asked me how I was feeing and did a short online test and she determined that I had mild to moderate depression. Because the wait is so long, she has prescribed me with the anti depressant Sertraline.

When I came back from the doctor, I looked up the symptoms for depression on the internet, and it describes exactly how I feel. I've always known I've had some form of depression and anxiety, but it's never been 'diagnosed' before. I have another appointment with my doctor in to weeks to see how the medication is working, but I am just wondering if anyone is on or had been on Sertraline? What's it like? Has it worked?

Thanks in advance everyone x

'Maybe it's not my weekend, but it's gonna be my year'
Self-harm free since 18.4.2008 <3

KissesLikeAPrototype is offline   Reply With Quote
One Hug Given By:
Old 27-09-2013, 06:44 PM   #2
offlineforever
Left RYL

A lot of people on RYL have been on sertreline myself included. I found it really worked for me until I had a rare side effect which meant I had to come off it.

The only thing I can point out is that. It can take a month till you start noticing its effects in your mood etc.

Sorry I couldn't be more help.

Left.

offlineforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2013, 06:47 PM   #3
shadow-light
He was no dragon. Fire cannot kill a dragon

I am currently:

I'm on Sertraline. It's the only AD that's had any effect on me. It takes a while to have an effect, and if you ever stop using it without doing it slowly the withdrawl is AWFUL, but it's worth a try. As most meds it will effect basically everyone differently and no way to tell if it will or will not work until tried

shadow-light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2013, 06:49 PM   #4
KissesLikeAPrototype

I am currently:

No, that really does help, thanks. My doctor said that it'll take 1-2 weeks to see a difference, but maybe I need to be a little more patient than she says. I haven't even taken any yet, I just wanted to know how it worked for other people. Thanks, YTak

Old 27-09-2013, 06:49 PM   #5
Wonderland.

I was put on it to help with my anxiety and reduce my impulsivity, it unfortunately made me more impulsive so they took me off of it but I know several people who are currently on it and it is working for them.

You have to remember that different meds work for different people. I hope it does help you, but don't worry too much if it doesn't there are many different AD's that can be prescribed.

'Cause I'll always remember you the same.
Oh eyes like wild flowers within demons of change ♥

Wonderland. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2013, 06:53 PM   #6
KissesLikeAPrototype

I am currently:

Thanks, shadow light. From what my doc told me, it sounds like sertraline is the one that works on the most people, so that's what they start people off on.

Old 28-09-2013, 01:24 AM   #7
Cersei

I was on Sertraline for two years. It worked brilliantly for me, it also helped with my obsessive thoughts. I came off it over a year ago and have not been back on anything.

When I started I would be very nauseous about 2/3 hours after taking it, but after about 2 weeks it wore off. Also, I personally needed to take it almost exactly the same time every day because if I did not I would start to feel quite unwell.

Hope you are okay.

Cersei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2013, 01:38 AM   #8
KissesLikeAPrototype

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cersia View Post
I was on Sertraline for two years. It worked brilliantly for me, it also helped with my obsessive thoughts. I came off it over a year ago and have not been back on anything.

When I started I would be very nauseous about 2/3 hours after taking it, but after about 2 weeks it wore off. Also, I personally needed to take it almost exactly the same time every day because if I did not I would start to feel quite unwell.

Hope you are okay.
Hi, I took my first one about 2 hours ago, and I've been feeling a bit...aggitated, I guess you would call it. Like my insides feel skaky, even though I am not physically shaking. Doc said I should be prepared for that, though lol.

I'm going to try and take it about the same time every day too, about 10:30-11 ish

I've basically only got em because the wait for counselling is so long. I'm going to try and wean myself off them when I start to get counselling.

Hopefully I will be fine

Old 28-09-2013, 08:31 AM   #9
offlineforever
Left RYL

I wouldn't wean yourself off them without a doctor being involved. I had to come of mine really quickly and it helped to have my doctors support.

Left.

offlineforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2013, 11:48 AM   #10
Aardbei
Forum Mod

I am currently:

I was on Sertraline for a couple of years and found it incredibly helpful - it was the first medication that made me feel stable and capable of functioning. I got no bad side effects from it other than vivid dreams in the first couple of weeks of taking it. Unfortunately once a couple of years had passed the effectiveness of the medication wore off (not sure if your body builds up a tolerance to it or something) and I was already on the maximum dose so I was switched to a different one.

Aardbei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2013, 12:24 PM   #11
KissesLikeAPrototype

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ytak View Post
I wouldn't wean yourself off them without a doctor being involved. I had to come of mine really quickly and it helped to have my doctors support.
Oh no I know, I'm just saying that I don't want to be on them any longer than I need to. Would never wean myself of meds

Old 29-09-2013, 11:21 PM   #12
littlewhisper
Sarah

Location: Im not really sure where i am...all i know is im still here
I am currently:

sertraline worked wonders for me :)

Dragonfly-my guardian angel

Except for a few small bruises, cuts and scars..well i'm fine...

Feel free to PM me...i'l always be here for anyone who needs someone to talk to. promise xxx <3

littlewhisper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2013, 01:44 AM   #13
KissesLikeAPrototype

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlewhisper View Post
sertraline worked wonders for me :)
Hopefully it will do the same for me too

Thank you for your advice everyone

Old 30-09-2013, 06:59 AM   #14
silent_scars11

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malison View Post
I was on Sertraline for a couple of years and found it incredibly helpful - it was the first medication that made me feel stable and capable of functioning. I got no bad side effects from it other than vivid dreams in the first couple of weeks of taking it. Unfortunately once a couple of years had passed the effectiveness of the medication wore off (not sure if your body builds up a tolerance to it or something) and I was already on the maximum dose so I was switched to a different one.
Just thought I'd share my own experience with sertraline - it was basically identical to the above, except I didn't experience the vivid dreams. I think the sertraline had really been helping me, so it was disappointing when I eventually built up to the maximum dose and it didn't seem to work anymore. (Side note: interesting that I'm not the only one that's happened to!)

I hope that the sertraline is able to able you feel better until you're able to get counseling. You never know, it might help you to stay on it for a while once you begin counseling too; sometimes it helps to lessen the depressive symptoms and make counseling easier to work through (at least in my personal experience, anyway).

Take care <3

Last edited by silent_scars11 : 30-09-2013 at 07:00 AM. Reason: grammar

"It's not a dream anymore. It's worth fighting for."

"Well, if it's not real you can't hold it in your hands
You can't feel it with your heart
And I won't believe it.
But if it's true
You can see it with your eyes
Oh, even in the dark
And that's where I want to be, yeah" - Paramore

silent_scars11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2013, 02:49 PM   #15
KissesLikeAPrototype

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by silent_scars11 View Post
Just thought I'd share my own experience with sertraline - it was basically identical to the above, except I didn't experience the vivid dreams. I think the sertraline had really been helping me, so it was disappointing when I eventually built up to the maximum dose and it didn't seem to work anymore. (Side note: interesting that I'm not the only one that's happened to!)

I hope that the sertraline is able to able you feel better until you're able to get counseling. You never know, it might help you to stay on it for a while once you begin counseling too; sometimes it helps to lessen the depressive symptoms and make counseling easier to work through (at least in my personal experience, anyway).

Take care <3
Thanks for sharing your experience. I hope I get counselling as soon as possible, because I find it more helpful to talk to a stranger/professional because I feel anxious and insecure when I talk to people I know... like they're judging me.

Luckily I've not experienced any major side effects so far, apart from feeling a little fidgety. I've only keen taking it for three days though, so who knows.

Although I know I do have depression symptoms, and I want them to be eliviated, I am hoping it will do more for my anxiety.

Thank you all again for your support it really means a lot

Last edited by KissesLikeAPrototype : 30-09-2013 at 03:11 PM. Reason: spelling

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)